Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental health in AFL - Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as DB & TA video clips ( http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1860420#1860420 )...

BenKen (1/11/17):

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/players-voice-ben-kennedy/

Fasolo (31/8/17):

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/alex-fasolo-death-was-an-escape-fantasy/
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 pm

On Footy Classified:
bad blood between GWS & Adams, resulting from TA's (well-intentioned) video clip above. GWS feel they put a lot of work into helping TA.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 am

Adam Treloar reveals battle with anxiety, says it nearly made him miss games

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adam-treloar-reveals-battle-with-anxiety-says-it-nearly-made-him-miss-games-20180924-p505ph.html

Quote:
“Up until I got injured, I was struggling with my own mental demons about coming out to play.”

Treloar said his anxiety - previously known only to a handful of people - wasn’t primarily related to on-field matters, but that his “demons” pervaded his football.

Treloar said he hadn’t experienced the issues until this year...

“I’m my own harshest judge. I critique my game harder than what my coaches or anyone else critiques,” he said.

“I think it comes from my early years growing up. We didn’t really have much.

“Because I always wanted to make a name for myself, I held such a high standard when I came through junior footy, that’s come through me with to AFL.”
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:12 am

I had near 12 months off work with depression, had some time in Thailand and Laos and came back and was incorrectly diagnosed eith some crap. Besides close family and friends I had some help. People her were some of them and without a doubt Jo (Think positive) was the best.Never met her but her sttiitude and help was the best and we met later only once but her hug gave me hope. Professionals are good. Real people are better and she is a gem. Thanks Honey. If more people were like her we wouldn't have Donald Trump
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 am

Ronrat, Thankyou, I don’t even know what to say .... that’s so lovely.
It was lovely to meet you too, and I still have the scarf!

Cheers mate, and good health to you evermore, even though the stigma is not so large now, it’s still a huge thing to own. I sincely wish you all the best, xxx jo

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am

Quality Laos silk. See if I can get a black and white one for you. Tukky the wonder dog has a black and white coat but I never worked out why she needs it. Saturday it is on.
We are a family, we are Collingwood, but a family nonetheless. We care,. And so we should,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am

yes, i agree mate, cheers
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 pm

ronrat wrote:
I had near 12 months off work with depression, had some time in Thailand and Laos and came back and was incorrectly diagnosed eith some crap. Besides close family and friends I had some help. People her were some of them and without a doubt Jo (Think positive) was the best.Never met her but her sttiitude and help was the best and we met later only once but her hug gave me hope. Professionals are good. Real people are better and she is a gem. Thanks Honey. If more people were like her we wouldn't have Donald Trump

Wonderful to hear! Glad we can find help amongst ourselves when needed!

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:56 am

Jonathon Marsh

'"It wore me down and caught me off guard because I wasn't prepared for it and I didn't really manage it well. By the time [the mental health issue] really clicked into gear I was thinking 'I can't be here'," he said.

"Not because of Melbourne or playing at Collingwood, because I was enjoying my time there, but I was actually quite scared about my wellbeing. I knew my support systems were back in Perth and that to get better I probably needed to be surrounded by family and friends.

"It wasn't a negative decision, I'm actually quite proud of it to be honest. I wouldn't change it."

Marsh first visited a sports psychologist in the middle of his second AFL season, 2015, before then meeting a clinical psychologist. He realised he wasn't unhappy about his football but felt himself "shutting down" behind the scenes.

In his third season, despite playing 10 games that year, he started to withdraw from teammates.

"I was living by myself in Melbourne. I felt extremely lonely and I knew that I needed to get out and be social with my friends and my teammates. I was surrounded by them but I just couldn't do that,' he said.

"I knew I had to but I just didn’t want to. That was quite upsetting for me because the boys would be saying to come around and watch TV or come for lunch or for a barbeque, and I couldn't think of anything worse. I'd lock myself in my one-bedroom apartment and seek some solitude. Everyone knows that you do that and it's not going to help."

Marsh gradually felt a little brighter each day, and he visited his psychologist weekly, and then fortnightly.

About halfway through 2017, his psychologist said she thought it was time Marsh ended the sessions as she thought he had worked through his issues. ...
'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-01/after-two-years-expie-desperate-for-return-to-the-big-time
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 pm

There were issues with the man in charge I have on good authority. Maybe Guru Bucks '18 is a fair way away from the previous incarnation of the great man. Great for our club though!!!
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Well, if Beams can return, so can Marsh, perhaps.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:53 pm

"WEALTHY clubs including Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond are pushing to have welfare spending removed from the football department soft cap.

The cap was introduced in 2015 to reduce spiraling football department spending among clubs (excluding player salaries, which were already constrained by the salary cap).

With mental health becomingly an increasingly big issue in football, the Hawks, Magpies and Tigers are among a group of powerhouse clubs arguing that spending on welfare staff and programs should be removed from the soft cap.

There were up to six clubs whose football department spending sat close to, or on, the soft cap limit of $9.5 million this year, with Sydney understood to be among them."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-22/big-clubs-go-hard-on-soft-cap-restrictions
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Majak Daw

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-star-injured-in-bolte-bridge-incident-20181218-p50mvb.html

"North Melbourne officials were in shock on Tuesday morning upon hearing of the incident, having not been aware of any circumstances that may have led to the situation."
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Terrible accident but sorry if I’m curious?

Did he drive onto Bridge then stop his vehicle,get out then fall over edge

This Bridge is prohibitive of cyclist and pedestrian traffic so was he walking over it in the dark

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:32 pm

So sad. I hope he's ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: