Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental health in AFL - Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 pm
Post subject: Mental health in AFL - Dayne BeamsReply with quote

Dane has succumbed to this ever increasing ailment

We have had Buddy and our Faz and Trav Cloke

Dane stepped down handing captain job to Zorko

Know he ain’t ours but according to Channel 7 mental health on the rise
in 17 to 22 yr age group and 8 people taking their own lives every day

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As most know here I'm close to Dayne and his family and I spoke to Dayne before we played them and I didn't see this coming
I've known Dayne and his family since they arrived from Yarrawonga in the 1990's and Dayne spent many hours with my son and myself along with his brother Claye. They've been like an extension of my family for many years.
Today again I spoke with Dayne and let him know that he has support outside his inner circle and he actually told me he's been getting professional help for some time now.
I had hoped that with the prognosis of his father becoming clear early he may have been able to adjust to this easier but like many others especially males he didn't deal with the emotions of losing a loved one.
If you go watch his presser on the AFL you get a better insight into what's been happening
He does take the time out during the interview to thank the Collingwood supporters when his father passed and made mention of his time at our club
Remember everyone has those down days or down periods in there life and it's ok not to be ok and it's ok to seek help and talk
I strongly encourage anyone out there who's suffering any form a depression to seek help immediately and be the best you you can be
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Good one ya qld Maggie for supporting a mate 👍
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 am

I've always loved Dayne as a player, and respected him as a young man.

I was moved by this. It takes guts to publicly declare you need help - that it's ok to need help. It's great he is in an (ostensibly) supportive club environment, too.

The death of his father, the pending arrival of a newborn - that would be an emotional rollercoaster of a year for anyone. Dayne looks to be doing right by himself, and giving himself some time to process. Best of luck to him.

I was pretty disappointed to lose him to Brisbane, but you couldn't fault his reasons. If we had to lose him, I am pretty rapt that it was to give him just a little bit more time with his father.

Last edited by Streak on Thu May 24, 2018 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Well with Social Media comes lot of the Pressure
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
As most know here I'm close to Dayne and his family and I spoke to Dayne before we played them and I didn't see this coming
I've known Dayne and his family since they arrived from Yarrawonga in the 1990's and Dayne spent many hours with my son and myself along with his brother Claye. They've been like an extension of my family for many years.
Today again I spoke with Dayne and let him know that he has support outside his inner circle and he actually told me he's been getting professional help for some time now.
I had hoped that with the prognosis of his father becoming clear early he may have been able to adjust to this easier but like many others especially males he didn't deal with the emotions of losing a loved one.
If you go watch his presser on the AFL you get a better insight into what's been happening
He does take the time out during the interview to thank the Collingwood supporters when his father passed and made mention of his time at our club
Remember everyone has those down days or down periods in there life and it's ok not to be ok and it's ok to seek help and talk
I strongly encourage anyone out there who's suffering any form a depression to seek help immediately and be the best you you can be

I say just about everyone would Need at least Some Help IF they or Someone Close to them get Cancer

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm

As someone who lost their dad 6mths after diagnosis to cancer, I know how he feels.

My Dad, and his father before him, were died in the wool Pies supporters who passed the gene onto me back in the late 60s.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Can the mods add a y to Dane please.

Grammatical errors don't generally worry me but a minimum standard should be spelling the name of a former premiership player correctly in a thread title.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm

i agree - it’s a concern that the spelling of his name has been confused with the spelling of the name of one of our all-time greats.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm

So he's not Danish?
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Can the mods add a y to Dane please.

Grammatical errors don't generally worry me but a minimum standard should be spelling the name of a former premiership player correctly in a thread title.

Huh, you want it to read as Daney? Laughing

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

It's natural to grieve when you lose someone as close to you as your father. That's not depression and it's not a mental illness. (Unless there's something else going on that I've missed.)

He's just a kid, he needs time to heal and absolutely did the right thing stepping down.

But **** me sideways, grief is not a mental illness.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

I should have prefaced that with a content warning for unpleasant truths.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 pm

The only warning required is that this is in the wrong forum. I can’t believe I can’t mock Carlton in GD but I can read about guys who play occasionally for the Bears.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 pm

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/dayne-beams-reveals-his-mental-battle-after-hotel-room-breakdown/news-story/f2768ebf7c9f754f0181fcbc31414faa

"Beams ... has opened up about the extent of his battles in an interview alongside brother and Lions teammate Claye on Fox Footy’s On the Mark tonight.

The Brisbane star says that while he never considered acting upon them, suicidal thoughts had entered his mind as he grappled with his mental health in the wake of losing of his father, Phillip, to bowel cancer earlier this year.

Beams, 28, said he had long battled mental heath issues including anxiety and depression but that the thought of suicide had made him realise he needed to seek professional assistance."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: