Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental health in AFL - Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I can not possibly imagine what life is like for an AFL footballer, nor can I possibly imagine what it's like for people living on the street.. It's hard to have empathy for a bloke earning $500k to kick a ball, or have empathy for a bloke who's homeless because of drugs or assaulting his wife. I've worked in mental health, and seen people from all walks of life battling the black dog. All I know is we have the means to deal with the issues, it just comes down to Governments (and AFL head honchos) ponying up the cash and the support.

Nobody gets paid $500k just to kick a ball.

I'd venture that these guys work as hard or even harder than most., and that's before their lifestyle restrictions are taken into account.

And they way they are owned? No wonder it's doing their heads in.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:17 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I must say I am amazed at the media reporting of this tragic event. Normally, there is an embargo on reporting any details of suicide attempts. I hope the media's coverage does not lead to others attempting self-harm.

As an aside, however, I read one report which said that Daw had taken some medication, before having an argument with his girlfriend and getting into his car. I'm no medico, but I wonder if the medication may have been a contributing factor to the tragic events? I hope the young fella recovers and can find some peace and balance in his life. I hope anyone suffering depression/anxiety seeks professional assistance, rather than feeling they have to battle their demons all alone.

The media reporting was interesting, While initially being very non committal about what happened, the articles all ended with the stuff about lifeline and beyond blue, which instantly told anyone awake that this was a mental health issue.

From what I read, the sequence was
Argument with girlfriend
Took Stilnox and Melatonin
Got in car and drove off.

As Culprit said, you don't fall off that bridge.

I listened to Wayne Schwass on MMM during the week on the way to work. He made a very good point, mental illness doesn't discriminate. It can hit homeless people, billionaires like James Packer, and everyone in between.

It certainly doesn't.

I was about to hit the hay last night and had a quick look on face space. A young (in his early 20's) plumber, who was an apprentice of mine years ago, had posted some strange things.
One was about family to lazy to walk across the street to see if you're ok, but they'll travel across the country to go to your funeral.
Then I saw one where he just said "You'll all miss me when I'm dead"... I thought, shit, I'll ring this kid and see WTF is going on.

He was pretty upset when he picked up the phone, been drowning his sorrows. Heaps going on in his life; Parents separated a few years back, Dad had moved interstate, his brother is due in court next week and now his Mum has got up and left WA as well, heaps of bills and a few other dramas going on in his life.
I chatted with him for almost an hour, sharing some of my experiences and just listening to him. It seemed to calm him down a bit and I think he'll be fine.

He sent me a message this morning, saying he appreciated the call and that I was the only person who'd contacted him.... over 1000 FB 'friends' and nobody called this bloke Confused ... a few of his 'mates' had posted messages, a few had told him to harden up. Pretty sad really.

Look out for your friends people.

All kudos to you Skids. Sounds like you handled the situation brilliantly and with much kindness.
Yep, all it takes sometimes is for someone to give up a little of their time and just listen. You did really well.

Agree, that’s a sobering read, well done. Christmas can put so much pressure on people. Certainly that post was a cry for help. I’d be deleting a few of those ‘friends’. You could very well have saved his life..

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:28 am

Geek wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
I can not possibly imagine what life is like for an AFL footballer, nor can I possibly imagine what it's like for people living on the street.. It's hard to have empathy for a bloke earning $500k to kick a ball, or have empathy for a bloke who's homeless because of drugs or assaulting his wife. I've worked in mental health, and seen people from all walks of life battling the black dog. All I know is we have the means to deal with the issues, it just comes down to Governments (and AFL head honchos) ponying up the cash and the support.

Nobody gets paid $500k just to kick a ball.

I'd venture that these guys work as hard or even harder than most., and that's before their lifestyle restrictions are taken into account.

And they way they are owned? No wonder it's doing their heads in.

It's a figure of speech, Geek. As for the pressure, try being a first responder, nurse, paramedic, teacher, who get paid peanuts. Footballers can get stuffed with the "we're so special and it's so hard" bullshit. Some footballers I know wouldn't piss on one of their fans if they were on fire, they strut around like they're gods.

Yeah footballers work hard, good on em, but put what they do (kick a ball for entertainment) in perspective of what's really important in life.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:25 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Footballers can get stuffed with the "we're so special and it's so hard" bullshit. Some footballers I know wouldn't piss on one of their fans if they were on fire, they strut around like they're gods.

Are any of them... ahem... (sotto voce)... Pies players?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: