Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental health in AFL - Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BazBoy wrote:
Have explained my flawed outlook in the first instance —admit it was not the “compassionate “ approach

More than that I can’t do

i dont think anyone is having a shot at you, truth is sometimes we ask a question that in different circumstances wouldnt be out of line, give your self a break mate, admitting you made a boo boo is enough, cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
If you're budgeting someone's mental health, you're doing it wrong.

There should be no cap on spending when it comes to mental health, which impacts not only the individual, but their immediate family, friends, and wider communities. It's bigger than football, and it's an indictment on both major political parties that not enough has been done, not enough has been spent, on the issue of mental health for all Victorians, whether rich and famous, or poor and everyman.

couldnt agree more. how many homeless people are on the street though mental health issues? For men especially not being able to live up to expectations, and not being allowed to show your hurt and pain gets intolerable. thats why i hate the sticks and stones thing, mental pain can be just as bad, sometimes worse,

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm

News.com.au has more detail about events leading to the accident
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I can not possibly imagine what life is like for an AFL footballer, nor can I possibly imagine what it's like for people living on the street.. It's hard to have empathy for a bloke earning $500k to kick a ball, or have empathy for a bloke who's homeless because of drugs or assaulting his wife. I've worked in mental health, and seen people from all walks of life battling the black dog. All I know is we have the means to deal with the issues, it just comes down to Governments (and AFL head honchos) ponying up the cash and the support.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm

K wrote:
I don't know of any other sporting league in the world that has such a cap or tax. All this in the name of equalization; I wonder what the AFL will say if the clubs end up with equal tragedy.

Well said K!! Just frigging ridiculous that the AFL won't allow clubs to spend as much as they want, unhindered, on mental health issues. FFS!!! Mad

Wayne Schwazz has called for every club to have their own full time psychologist. Good idea, but it's such a complex issue and clubs need to be free to set up a range of different supportive services as they see fit and to spend whatever funds they wish to be able to that!!!!!

As regards to mustering compassion for people who are highly paid to kick a football, it comes easily for me. It wouldn't be an easy existence to get handle on with its intense scrutiny in every aspect of their lives. Plus, they have few of the methods available to them to relax and bond with others, as I had when their age (thinking mainly here of having several drinks and often with friends in various settings Very Happy ).
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Yesterday a 22 year old Thai Female Muay Thai boxing world champion hanged herself in her University boarding house. She was paying her own way through University as her parents had divorced and neither would pay. She was studying Muay Thai (at degree level?) and had been drinking with training partners.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Well said PyreneesPie. I'm speaking about empathy from what I've been told by the person dealing with the issues. There's a difference between compassion/sympathy, and empathy. I can sympathise with footballers not getting a break, but I can't know what it's like to walk in their shoes. I can try to empathise though. It took me a while to wrap my head around this, and what the other person was trying to get me to understand. "I know how you feel." "NO you don't!"
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:16 pm

I must say I am amazed at the media reporting of this tragic event. Normally, there is an embargo on reporting any details of suicide attempts. I hope the media's coverage does not lead to others attempting self-harm.

As an aside, however, I read one report which said that Daw had taken some medication, before having an argument with his girlfriend and getting into his car. I'm no medico, but I wonder if the medication may have been a contributing factor to the tragic events? I hope the young fella recovers and can find some peace and balance in his life. I hope anyone suffering depression/anxiety seeks professional assistance, rather than feeling they have to battle their demons all alone.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Jake Niall's comment:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daw-incident-may-reduce-cynicism-over-footballers-mental-health-20181219-p50nav.html

Some quotes:

"If a silver lining emerges from the troubling Majak Daw episode, it should be this: that there will be a better understanding and less cynicism about the mental health challenges facing the contemporary AFL player."

"The media, by and large, recognises there is a boundary that shouldn't be breached; there are players running around today that are known to be suffering from depression/anxiety and whose situation has not been reported."

"How many footballers, of any level, are spokesmen, standard bearers and role models for a migrant community and are expected to respond to a prime minister?"
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for the link K. A thought-provoking article.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Small update (J. Niall):

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/daw-expected-to-regain-mobility-after-surgery-20181220-p50nhd.html

And now this:

Three AFL clubs still yet to employ a psychologist or psychiatrist

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/three-afl-clubs-still-yet-to-employ-a-psychologist-or-psychiatrist-20181220-p50ni8.html

"However the AFLPA believes the game is far better equipped to deal with the growing problem that saw no less than 1678 consultations - mostly players, current and former AFLW and AFL participants - undertaken in 2018 with the 120 psychologists available via the union.

It comes as the nation's peak body for psychologists in Australia called for each AFL club to have a full-time, registered sports psychologist to ensure the mental health of players."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I must say I am amazed at the media reporting of this tragic event. Normally, there is an embargo on reporting any details of suicide attempts. I hope the media's coverage does not lead to others attempting self-harm.

As an aside, however, I read one report which said that Daw had taken some medication, before having an argument with his girlfriend and getting into his car. I'm no medico, but I wonder if the medication may have been a contributing factor to the tragic events? I hope the young fella recovers and can find some peace and balance in his life. I hope anyone suffering depression/anxiety seeks professional assistance, rather than feeling they have to battle their demons all alone.

The media reporting was interesting, While initially being very non committal about what happened, the articles all ended with the stuff about lifeline and beyond blue, which instantly told anyone awake that this was a mental health issue.

From what I read, the sequence was
Argument with girlfriend
Took Stilnox and Melatonin
Got in car and drove off.

As Culprit said, you don't fall off that bridge.

I listened to Wayne Schwass on MMM during the week on the way to work. He made a very good point, mental illness doesn't discriminate. It can hit homeless people, billionaires like James Packer, and everyone in between.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:25 am

I’d sa a fair majority of homeless people are homeless for that reason. I’d say a good percentage of the human race go through periods of it and done don’t even realise it, we put s lo5 off pressure on our brains and nervous systems these days.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

The media reporting was interesting, While initially being very non committal about what happened, the articles all ended with the stuff about lifeline and beyond blue, which instantly told anyone awake that this was a mental health issue.

Argument with girlfriend

I listened to Wayne Schwass on MMM during the week on the way to work. He made a very good point, mental illness doesn't discriminate. It can hit homeless people, billionaires like James Packer, and everyone in between.

It certainly doesn't.

I was about to hit the hay last night and had a quick look on face space. A young (in his early 20's) plumber, who was an apprentice of mine years ago, had posted some strange things.
One was about family to lazy to walk across the street to see if you're ok, but they'll travel across the country to go to your funeral.
Then I saw one where he just said "You'll all miss me when I'm dead"... I thought, shit, I'll ring this kid and see WTF is going on.

He was pretty upset when he picked up the phone, been drowning his sorrows. Heaps going on in his life; Parents separated a few years back, Dad had moved interstate, his brother is due in court next week and now his Mum has got up and left WA as well, heaps of bills and a few other dramas going on in his life.
I chatted with him for almost an hour, sharing some of my experiences and just listening to him. It seemed to calm him down a bit and I think he'll be fine.

He sent me a message this morning, saying he appreciated the call and that I was the only person who'd contacted him.... over 1000 FB 'friends' and nobody called this bloke Confused ... a few of his 'mates' had posted messages, a few had told him to harden up. Pretty sad really.

Look out for your friends people.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Argument with girlfriend

It certainly doesn't.

I was about to hit the hay last night and had a quick look on face space. A young (in his early 20's) plumber, who was an apprentice of mine years ago, had posted some strange things.
One was about family to lazy to walk across the street to see if you're ok, but they'll travel across the country to go to your funeral.
Then I saw one where he just said "You'll all miss me when I'm dead"... I thought, shit, I'll ring this kid and see WTF is going on.

He was pretty upset when he picked up the phone, been drowning his sorrows. Heaps going on in his life; Parents separated a few years back, Dad had moved interstate, his brother is due in court next week and now his Mum has got up and left WA as well, heaps of bills and a few other dramas going on in his life.
I chatted with him for almost an hour, sharing some of my experiences and just listening to him. It seemed to calm him down a bit and I think he'll be fine.

He sent me a message this morning, saying he appreciated the call and that I was the only person who'd contacted him.... over 1000 FB 'friends' and nobody called this bloke Confused ... a few of his 'mates' had posted messages, a few had told him to harden up. Pretty sad really.

Look out for your friends people.

All kudos to you Skids. Sounds like you handled the situation brilliantly and with much kindness.
Yep, all it takes sometimes is for someone to give up a little of their time and just listen. You did really well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: