Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental health in AFL - Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Baz, I'm not really familiar with the bridge but, given the sensitivity of the issue, the mechanics won't be made public.

I'm just glad he's still with us.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes K and yes it is sensitive and the club and AFL family are ralllying around

I didn’t mean to be harsh nor insensitive and sincerely hope he will be OK

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

Work right near there, he would have had to scale a safety fence.

Needless to say I work with people with PTSD who have served in Afghanistan and had to endure some serious action. What appears to be bad to one person is very minor to another yet they could be suffering anxiety at the same level. For those who have never had an issue simply struggle to understand.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:37 am

Sadly true Culprit and knee jerk reaction (like mine) is an example of ill informed not understanding

Not intentional by me but no excuse

My wish is swift medical recovery and all assistance needed to quell his
mental issues

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 am

BazBoy wrote:
Sadly true Culprit and knee jerk reaction (like mine) is an example of ill informed not understanding

mental issues
Don't feel bad, I struggle to have any feelings towards AFL footballers and their mental health issues as I deal with people who I feel deserve more than them. It's human nature, had I not have to deal with ex service people with PTSD my feelings could be totally different.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am

Culprit, what is your role with ex-service people, and what support mechanisms are available to them?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 am

K wrote:
Culprit, what is your role with ex-service people, and what support mechanisms are available to them?
My employer (Defence Industry) is involved with organisations like Soldier On. We work hand in hand to assist ex personnel with their transition into normal life and employment where possible. We have our ups and downs, a few weeks a go the workshop downstairs compressor exploded. Needless to say that was a learning experience. I have had to go back to school as well. To help me deal with them as do other staff.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Culprit wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

mental issues
Don't feel bad, I struggle to have any feelings towards AFL footballers and their mental health issues as I deal with people who I feel deserve more than them. It's human nature, had I not have to deal with ex service people with PTSD my feelings could be totally different.

Huh?? Does the fact he fled a war torn country help you have compassion for him? Possibly family members killed in the war?

I think anyone with mental health issues deserves compassion, regardless of their occupation. Anything else is heartless IMHO.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/after-daw-incident-afl-looks-to-make-clubs-hire-mental-health-experts-20181219-p50n66.html

So the AFL wants it to be under the cap. Right.

If only the Government would spend more on mental health in the community, and treat people as importantly as we do footballers.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm

The Pies want the cost outside the cap [article quoted on last page:
http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1881111#1881111 ].

I don't know why the AFL insists on it being inside the cap. It's true it might help on-field performance, but anything inside the football-department cap the clubs will skimp on. (I wonder exactly how close clubs are to the cap.)

The soft cap itself, while in some sense understandable, could conceivably also lead to problems with football staff expected to do more with less pay. I don't know of any other sporting league in the world that has such a cap or tax. All this in the name of equalization; I wonder what the AFL will say if the clubs end up with equal tragedy.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Culprit wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

mental issues

I get where your coming from, similar to the many rich and famous who take their own lives, so much money and you cant find a way out? As you say its human nature to feel that way at least subconsciously. thankfully the world seems to be realizing its not about money, or power, but more about brain chemistry, coping mechanisms, etc. It took losing my daughters close friend for me to be more compassionate about suicide, when you realize the desperation that person must have got too... I couldnt do what you do, must be very hard.

The more players that come out and talk of their fears, and the pressure they feel they are under, the more mainstream it will be and hopefully more people, men especially, get the help they need. i say men especially because i reckon its fair to say a lot of men, or at least more men than women, stuggle to admit they are struggling, sad, whatever. no shame in it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/after-daw-incident-afl-looks-to-make-clubs-hire-mental-health-experts-20181219-p50n66.html

So the AFL wants it to be under the cap. Right.

If only the Government would spend more on mental health in the community, and treat people as importantly as we do footballers.

id be very surprised in this day an age if a club didnt have a mental health person of their own accord. Mental stability, strength is such a big part of a persons performance level.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

could we maybe take Dayne's name out of the title now this has reach such broader fields?

no i dont have a particular reason, just feels bad.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:52 pm

If you're budgeting someone's mental health, you're doing it wrong.

There should be no cap on spending when it comes to mental health, which impacts not only the individual, but their immediate family, friends, and wider communities. It's bigger than football, and it's an indictment on both major political parties that not enough has been done, not enough has been spent, on the issue of mental health for all Victorians, whether rich and famous, or poor and everyman.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Have explained my flawed outlook in the first instance —admit it was not the “compassionate “ approach

More than that I can’t do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: