Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Justin Longmuir making a big difference to our back six

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Langdon is well liked and respected by the Collingwood hierarchy. He was in the team before Scharenberg this season too.
I think he is a pretty handy intercept backman FWIW and I don't get some of the hate for him that he seems to generate.

But comparisons with McKenna and Rance and drawing a very long bow. Each of them were/are amongst the best of their generation of defenders.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

Well, I did the Daicos comparison last year (which wasnt really fair to Daics), so I thought Id compare him to some defenders.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 am

Ya know, I'm starting to think that you're trying reverse psychology and trying to turn Langdon into Nicks next whipping boy.

Langdon's Dad ran over your dog or something so you're taking every opportunity to boost the kid up deliberately in a manner that's so over the top, you attract a crowd of people pulling him down. Confused

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm

If we can beat the Fuchsias then we are doing bloody well. Gawn is an A grade ruck and is a much better Ruckman than Grundy at this stage of Grundy's career. This wil be a fascinating contest.

We need to curb the effectiveness of Jetta who is starring for the Fuchsias as well as dealing with the scumbag Viney. Jones always does well on us too. Does Dunn play on Hogan?

I see a fuchsias market but I'm hoping like hell we win. Go pies

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Oliver is probably the one to put a tag on.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:01 pm

For all the talk of our improved defence we have given up more points than any other team in the top 8.

There have definitely been a few things to like for the future - Murray early, Appleby recently - but there is plenty of scope for improvement (not just Dunn stopping giving away the 50m penalties).

Ultimately, I think a lot of team defence rests on the midfield where I dont think we have dominated to the extent we should have (eg clearances) which results in more pressure on the back six.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Ya know, I'm starting to think that you're trying reverse psychology and trying to turn Langdon into Nicks next whipping boy.

Langdon's Dad ran over your dog or something so you're taking every opportunity to boost the kid up deliberately in a manner that's so over the top, you attract a crowd of people pulling him down. Confused

I probably won't feel the need to defend him so strongly when people stop picking "best 22s" on Nick's containing up to 35 players, including guys who are struggling to get a game in the VFL but excluding Langdon on the basis that he's "just depth". He's actually our best and most consistent all-round backman by some considerable margin over the 5 seasons since he came to the Club, which is why he's been the one constant in our backline, when he hasn't been taken down by injury, since he was drafted.

The back six at the start of each season from 2014 has been:

Langdon, H, Maxy, Frost, Brown and Sinclair

Langdon, Oxley, Toovey, Frost, Brown and Sinclair

Langdon, Frost, Brown, Williams, Ramsay and Sinclair

Reid, Howe, Schade, Ramsay, Crisp and Maynard

Langdon, Howe, Dunn, Crisp, Murray and Maynard

The only time in that period that Langdon wasn't named in our starting 22 at the start of the season was in 2016. That year, he was in the middle of a period in which he missed 12 months of football with injury (between round 6, 2016 and his return to the senior team in round 12 2017).

The constant carping about Langdon seems to have started when he continued to play with the injury in 2016 before succumbing for the last 16 rounds and then was rushed back into the senior team halfway through last season with only a couple of VFL games under his belt. He was always going to be rushed back in - but people said he was underdone, not up to it etc etc etc. The only games he's missed since are rounds 6 to 8 this year, with injury.

Along the way, he was named best first-year player at Collingwood in 2014, was one of only 4 players to play all 22 games in 2015 and was named two years in succession in the AFLPA's "22 under 22" team.

Since he joined Collingwood, he has played only 3 VFL games - all in the process of getting him up and running after his 12-month layoff.

Yet, in the time he's been at the Club, excelling, all of Oxley, Frost, Sinclair, Williams, Maynard, Schade, Dunn, Howe and Schaz have been lauded on Nick's for feats that are no more remarkable than anything Langdon has done (though, in Howe's case, they are much more spectacular and much more fun to watch).

He may suffer an injury that curtails his career. That can happen to any one. If it doesn't, he's pencilled in as a starter for the next 6 seasons. I find it remarkable that so many other people can't see that. It isn't like I'm making it up - it's obviously the selection committee's view, as well. He's plainly a best 22 player.

He's the sort of player you build your team around and a natural footballer who makes good decisions with - and without - the ball and leads by example when it matters. That's why he is, of course, The Future Captain.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I agree P4S, but he needs a haircut.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:20 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
I agree P4S, but he needs a haircut.

Yes, I'm with you on that. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 pm

As if to emphasise the point, Stui, this has just been posted in the "Gone Cold on Lynch" thread:

Langdon IMO (and many others) isn't a best 22 player and isn't a must keep. He's at best a depth player if we are struck with injury. Right now in the pecking order he wouldn't be getting a game if Goldie and Moore were available. If he will play for the minimum wage and be happy playing more VFL than AFL then keep him. If he wants more money or a deal longer than 2 seasons say bye bye. He's not a player in demand by any club

That's just the latest in a long of similar posts about the lad.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Having fit players like Langdon and Scharenberg finding form has been a great boost. Plus, Dunn has exceeded all expectations and Murray and Appleby have been revelations as rookie players.

No doubt Longmuir has had an impact as well.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I probably won't feel the need to defend him so strongly when people stop picking "best 22s" on Nick's containing up to 35 players, including guys who are struggling to get a game in the VFL but excluding Langdon on the basis that he's "just depth". He's actually our best and most consistent all-round backman by some considerable margin over the 5 seasons since he came to the Club, which is why he's been the one constant in our backline, when he hasn't been taken down by injury, since he was drafted.

The back six at the start of each season from 2014 has been:

Langdon, H, Maxy, Frost, Brown and Sinclair

Langdon, Oxley, Toovey, Frost, Brown and Sinclair

Langdon, Frost, Brown, Williams, Ramsay and Sinclair

Reid, Howe, Schade, Ramsay, Crisp and Maynard

Langdon, Howe, Dunn, Crisp, Murray and Maynard

The only time in that period that Langdon wasn't named in our starting 22 at the start of the season was in 2016. That year, he was in the middle of a period in which he missed 12 months of football with injury (between round 6, 2016 and his return to the senior team in round 12 2017).

The constant carping about Langdon seems to have started when he continued to play with the injury in 2016 before succumbing for the last 16 rounds and then was rushed back into the senior team halfway through last season with only a couple of VFL games under his belt. He was always going to be rushed back in - but people said he was underdone, not up to it etc etc etc. The only games he's missed since are rounds 6 to 8 this year, with injury.

Along the way, he was named best first-year player at Collingwood in 2014, was one of only 4 players to play all 22 games in 2015 and was named two years in succession in the AFLPA's "22 under 22" team.

Since he joined Collingwood, he has played only 3 VFL games - all in the process of getting him up and running after his 12-month layoff.

Yet, in the time he's been at the Club, excelling, all of Oxley, Frost, Sinclair, Williams, Maynard, Schade, Dunn, Howe and Schaz have been lauded on Nick's for feats that are no more remarkable than anything Langdon has done (though, in Howe's case, they are much more spectacular and much more fun to watch).

He may suffer an injury that curtails his career. That can happen to any one. If it doesn't, he's pencilled in as a starter for the next 6 seasons. I find it remarkable that so many other people can't see that. It isn't like I'm making it up - it's obviously the selection committee's view, as well. He's plainly a best 22 player.

He's the sort of player you build your team around and a natural footballer who makes good decisions with - and without - the ball and leads by example when it matters. That's why he is, of course, The Future Captain.

This is the greatest load of self righteous dribble ever uttered on nicks.
Langdon is in your opinion worthy of a starting spot many disagree that's fine.
The years you claim he was the backbone of the backline and first picked in defence is just plain rubbish. I can go through each of those years and write the names of players who were out injured who likley would have been selected before him. He got his start on the back of unparalleled injuries heck even Jack Frost was getting a game then
He may have been a favourite of Buckley's for some weird reason (and this is the same coach you've said shouldn't be our coach) but now with a more open selection policy in place and a line coach in Longmuir who has a far lesser opinion of him than Buckley he's getting less gsme time, starting from the bench and being "managed" until,we we struck down by more injuries.
Since when have the powers that be at the club spoken about his contract being up at the end of 2018 and his a priority signing ? Yeah never happened. They've spoken publicly about JDG Moore Seir, McLarty, Stephenson Murray Scharenberg Maynard Crisp Elliott but never a mention of your player other than Walsh saying the club had put off negotiations with Langdon until sesson end when they will conduct a full list review and then make a decision
Unlike Scharenberg who Walsh and Guy have said publicly that they had approached his management with a deal beyond 2018 but Scharenberg had asked that it be put aside until he gets the continuity of games in. That's happening now and we are seeing the signs of the backline linchpin for years to come performing at the level we all expected from a pick 6 who more than likley would have gone top 2 had it now been for foot issues.
Whilst this occurs the club is signing players every few weeks but not Langdon
If by some weird reason he gets a new deal it won't be any length or have decent $$ attached it will be for the sole purpose of depth in case of injury because that's were he fits into a AFL system
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Yet, in the meantime, he is picked every single game hes fit for 5 seasons in a row. You dont think theres a message in that?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Apparently Longmuir is our new back line coach.
Could probably do with its own thread.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Nah, did that in the OP.

It's good that we have a backline coach, though, on the whole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: