Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Justin Longmuir making a big difference to our back six

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Fit, Firing, Future Captain is the difference this season. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=19&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=758&pid2=3975&fid1=O&fid2=O

Also: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=2318&pid2=3975&fid1=C&fid2=C

I'll bet you $50 against you Lambo that Langdon never captains a game for Collingwood.

He already runs the backline, Stui. Your call is probably fair enough, though - I don’t think Rance or McKenna captained their teams, either. That said, being better than both of them does give him a chance.

Are you related or does he have a picture of you with a sheep?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm

The figures speak for themselves, 5.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 pm

^ perhaps both. It’s not unknown for bestiality to run in families.

Though I fall short of the adulation P4S gives to Langdon, I agree with the thrust of his assessment, though. Langdon is a very high quality footballer indeed, and he was a difference-maker yesterday. Because he plays in defence and gets involved in so much, people tend to notice his mistakes, but they are few, relative to the number of times he gets to a contest. He’s definitely a part of our next premiership-tilt, when it comes.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I predicted maxwell as a future captain here on nicks early on in his career.

Sometimes, you can just tell a player has that leadership about him

It’s not as obvious with Langdon as it was with Maxy, but you never know I guess.

For what it’s worth, out of the kids, I’m not sure we’ve found a future captain yet.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
I predicted maxwell as a future captain here on nicks early on in his career.

Sometimes, you can just tell a player has that leadership about him

It’s not as obvious with Langdon as it was with Maxy, but you never know I guess.

For what it’s worth, out of the kids, I’m not sure we’ve found a future captain yet.

Adams, but after that, there is really no way to know. I don’t see anyone looking to Tommy L for instruction at the moment, excellent player though he is.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Your figure or the sheeps?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:06 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

These: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=I&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=3975&pid2=1432&fid1=O&fid2=O
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

These: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=I&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=3975&pid2=1432&fid1=O&fid2=O

There is a clear difference I’d disposals per game, in Langdon’s favour. Langdon averages 19.1 disposals per game to Maxwell’s 11-odd.

This is almost certainly explicable via the fact that Collingwood in 2018 have averaged 418.6 disposals per game, whereas in 2007 they averaged 328. Much of this differential will be explained by disposals backward, increasing backmen’s disposal numbers very substantially. So you would expect Langdon to far, far outrank Maxwell in disposals. This is validated by the fact that the great Jimmy Clement averaged 12 disposals per game at the same comparison point. Scharenberg averages more than 21.9 per game.

The one stat that is interesting is that Maxwell averaged 5.x tackles a game, where Langdon averages 3.x. That stat probably is pretty comparable across time.

I happen to think that Langdon is a better player than Nick Maxwell. But I do not see much evidence that he is regarded as a particular leader on field, at this stage, as Nick clearly was.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Stats are a thing that is readily compareable across the competition and used in this case to highlight Langdon to his predecessors

But to say he is a better player than Maxwell is open to conjecture

Langdon,s path was via draft and immediatel selection
Maxwell slogged it out via rookie path

And the uncompareable part of comparison is the intensity that both play or played at at and their efforts that lifted players around them

This “stat” if it was to be actual figure Nicks would be miles in front

But we are lucky. We have been the benefactors of both of them

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes, I was also surprised that Rance and McKenna were so close to the Future Captain's output. Still, they are/were good enough players in their own way.

Touché 😂

Be careful what you wish for though, I reckon this same platform could mount a case for Phillips being a better player than Flower and Grieg. ..... just saying.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 pm

I didn’t say he was better than Maxwell. Maxy was a great player. He captained us to a flag - and but for his magnificence in the drawn Grand Final, we wouldn’t have played the following week. I was merely drawing attention to the comparison.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes, I was also surprised that Rance and McKenna were so close to the Future Captain's output. Still, they are/were good enough players in their own way.

Touché 😂

Be careful what you wish for though, I reckon this same platform could mount a case for Phillips being a better player than Flower and Grieg. ..... just saying.

Phillips is better than Flower. Keith Grieg was a beautiful footballer, though.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Touché 😂

Phillips is better than Flower. Keith Grieg was a beautiful footballer, though.

Tru dat. Cool
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Fit, Firing, Future Captain is the difference this season. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=19&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=758&pid2=3975&fid1=O&fid2=O

Also: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=2318&pid2=3975&fid1=C&fid2=C

You're not seriously suggesting that Langdon is in the same class as McKenna and Rance are you?

Comparing stats to McKenna is just stupid. Sideway possessions these days mean nothing, not like they did in the nineties when McKenna was one of, if not the best, running half back.

And putting him up against Rance is just laughable.

He is a good ordinary player at best who has absolutely no awareness around him. But to give him his due, he is playing well at the moment.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

Your admiration (or pure bias) for Langdon is well known but your never offer up realistic comparisons.
Here you have one at the same age then another as career.
At the same age only shows half the stats which they didn't keep at point in time
But on a pure test of player v player McKenna was at that age playing every in a team which lost to the eventual premiers in the prelim final
He was playing on the likes on Hird Long Misiti. McKenna was basically the #2 defender in a team 1 game from a grand final and Mc Kenna was a all Australian. McKenna conceded at that point of his career less than a goal per game.
Langdon is borderline to get a game in a side who haven't played finals in 5 years. He gets the 4 or 5th best attacker from the oppostion each week and yet even though he gets the easiest assignment he concedes the highest goals allowed per game by any Collingwood defender at 3.18 per game. He barely in our best 22 given our injuries let alone in the conversation of all Australian calculation
Do a poll and ask the public who they would rather have in there side McKenna or Langdon and other than you I'm betting no one with any footy knowledge would vote for Langdon
Second comparison you use career with Rance.
Again not apples for apples. Rance is a fullback and gets the best oppostion forward every week. He's acknowledged as the best fullback of his generation.
The biggest difference if you want to compare careers is Rance has a premiership, 4 time all Australian honours a club best fairest and twice runner up and how many Brownlow votes ? Oh 35 that's right.
Langdon and never figured in any awards at the club and has 1 single Brownlow vote and isn't likley to add to that tally this season.
P4S would you like to run a poll on if Collingwood would rather have Rance or Langdon in there backline ? Yeah I know the answer again no one would select Langdon
Using direct comparisons from champion data Rance is rated the 8th best player in the comp at the start of 2018 Langdon was rated the 405th and that's as close as it will ever be in direct comparison.
Historically using champion data again McKenna was rated a top 25 player during his career and Langdon has never been above 250 (his highest rating was 254th in 2015 and has slowly slipped backwards since)
In sesson 2018 there have been 172 players used by clubs in defence who have played at least 7 games and played at least 75% of game time in defence. Of those 172 players used Langdon rated (according to champion data) the 151st ranked player. Considering sides like Carlton Brisbane StKilda have barely won a game is a damning stat on now lowly he rates in direct comparison against his contemparies.
Now it's more likley you did this to provoke a response from me or people like me (which there are numerous) who think he's lucky to even getting a game.
Finally as for him ever captaining Collingwood that's close to the most outrageous comment ever made. You might as well add that you think Tyson Goldsack is Brownlow favourite this season there both as likley to happen as each other

I would suggest you use your spare time to write letters of plea to Walsh or Ned Buy begging them to at least give him a contract for next season because right now he is at a career crossroad. The club is actively signing young players they see as the future. There putting all there efforts into retaining JDG Moore and Scharenberg and no one is talking about your boy.
A little bit sobering when you look at it closely isn't it mate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: