Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Curious Case of Tom Phillips

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I note the future captain had his customary brain fade to cost a goal....talk about consistency 😃

Phillips is great, love him

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:43 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Although I note the future captain had his customary brain fade to cost a goal....talk about consistency 😃

Phillips is great, love him

Did you see the way that, in the second quarter, with our hopes fading fast, the Captain was striding towards goal and, sizing up all the options, realised that the best thing to do was defer to the Future Captain and handballed to him for the 50 metre goal? 29 disposals, a goal and 7 score involvements from halfback. If Scharenberg did that, some on here would be calling for a special medal to be struck for him. Wink
roar 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

I still worry he will fold under the pressure from top teams but he is doing everything right so here's hoping I am wrong.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:19 pm

He is our Andrew Gaff!
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:54 am

I'm a little embarrassed to say this but I still don't rate him.
Certainly not as high as others here and not as high as his stats would suggest.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:31 am

Only player in 2018 outside two others to average 25+ disposals and a goal per game!
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:35 am

inxs88 wrote:
Only player in 2018 outside two others to average 25+ disposals and a goal per game!

Except for those who have also done it, he is the only one to have done it. Pure genius!

E 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:39 am

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
I'm a little embarrassed to say this but I still don't rate him.
Certainly not as high as others here and not as high as his stats would suggest.

He is nowhere near the best player on our team (which is why you may be struggling). He is also not one of the most important. However, in terms of the skillset that he brings to the table - hard running link player who enables us to really stretch the defenses of opposing sides, particularly in the second half of games - he has developed into one of the best in the league at it.

We are very lucky to have two of these players - Sidey and Phillips - and it is an increasingly important position, given how efficient defensive structures have become. Its no coincidence that we score most of our goals once the opposition tires a little bit and finds it tougher to keep their defensive structures in place. Certainly, Tom Phillips shares some of the credit for that.

think better 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:58 am

His development reminds me a bit of Dane Swan.

When Swan was starting out he kept racking up disposals and suddenly he was being talked about as a player to watch. Another couple of years and everyone caught on that he was a gun.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 am

I think there's a bit of a myth about Dane Swan being slow. He was quick over 20m being able to sprint away from players. Phillips is slow to take off but the problem with opposition players is keeping up with him. He just keeps popping up everywhere to a point where there is no opponent on him. We were still in the Geelong game despite losing Moore. Once Phillips was concussed we lost that rebound we needed to kick goals.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Although I note the future captain had his customary brain fade to cost a goal....

Did you see the way that, in the second quarter, with our hopes fading fast, the Captain was striding towards goal and, sizing up all the options, realised that the best thing to do was defer to the Future Captain and handballed to him for the 50 metre goal? ...

You've been reading too much Mills and Boon...
But it was a nice finish, that goal.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:16 am

It’s funny how none of the people who dislike Langdon’s 29 disposal, 1 goal, 7 score involvements game from our backline could bring themselves to engage with it, though, isn’t it? Wink
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:32 pm

should we rename the thread title to include Tom Langdon since people here seem to be more focused on debating him. Is this the ultimate insult for Tom Phillips. He cant even keep our attention in a thread dedicated to him!!!!!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm

I reckon there's every chance that next year will see Phillips move from the wing to the midfield, given his ability to run and run and run, plus his perfect size. Cool
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:32 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I reckon there's every chance that next year will see Phillips move from the wing to the midfield, given his ability to run and run and run, plus his perfect size. Cool

I can see where your coming from, but no, Tom is too light to play as a midfielder and we have better suited types but he will always play as a part time forward partime midfielder part time back. His best role is what he plays now the wing and link up player. He reads the play well and with his running ability is able to influence a contest by getting there and increasing our numbers or covering if it needs to be done. Geelong was done like a diiner if he was still on the park. You cant beat the cats bombing the ball in but bringing it in fast by handball and run in the second half they wouldhave folded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: