Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Best 22?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:41 pm
Post subject: Our Best 22?Reply with quote

We still cant get our best 22 on the park, but in thinking about that, i wondered, as players become available, who would make way and then that got me to thinking, what is our best 22. Not so concerned with positions as i am with the composition.

So let's take a look at who was out of the team this weekend.

Moore, Reid, Elliot, Aish, Maynard, Smith, Goldsack, Kirby and Broomhead (injured)

Crocker, Blair, Brown, Daicos, Mihocek, Greenwood, Wills, T Brown, Murphy, Sier, McLarty (not selected)

As sad as it is to do this, i think we realistically have to give up on thinking about Elliot, Broomhead and Goldsack for this year at least. These three players weren't considered.

Of those out of the side, players that might have strong claims on being best 22 are Reid, Moore, Maynard, Aish. (maybe Crocker and Brown might also think they have a shot).

There are others on the list that might one day be in the topp 22 like Sier or McLarty or Murphy or little Brown, but for now, let's focus on exposed form.

My personal opinion is that Moore, Aish and Reid are all best 22 (and that they would take out Faz, Cox and Appleby). Dont know if Maynard can get a spot. If he did, it would be at the expense of Mayne, Varcoe or Thomas. Maybe Mayne is the most vulnerable. I think it comes down to Mayne vs Maynard for spot 22. So here is my side.

Crisp, Dunn, Murray
Langdon, Howe, Scharenberg
Phillips, Adams, Sidey
DeGoey, Moore, Stephenson
Wells, Reid, WHE

Grundy, Treloar, Pendles

Aish, Thomas, Varcoe, [Mayne/Maynard]

Sadly for us, this debate will never matter because we appear like we will never have our best 22. I'd just about put this 22 up against anyone!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E I think it's fairly close but I don't think it will ever line up like that from what we've seen this sesson thus far
The club seem set on playing Moore at CHB which isn't.a bad thing if we had a dominate forward (which Cox isn't) but Cox has shown if he gets a run at it he can be dangerous he just doesn't do it enough.
For mine the best we can put on the park this season given I agree about Elliott Broomhead and Goldie won't play this season the side would be

B. Murray. Dunn. Howe
HB.Crisp. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Pendles. Treloar
HF. WHE. Reid. Thomas
F. Stephenson. Cox. JDG.
R. Grundy. Adams. Sidey
Int. Phillips. Varcoe. Aish. Maynard
Emg. Seir. Mayne. Brown. Langdon. Daicos. Greenwood

With the style of play we have adopted we need grunt around the ball then outside running
The bench provides the ability to give the first choice players a rest
Of the starting 22 Varcoe and Maynard would be most at risk with Brown and Seir the logical replacements
I know some will be down on me for not naming Langdon but I did some research on champion data of his season thus far here's the results
In the games he's played he averages 79.54% of gaming time on the field
During that 79.54% of game time the oppostion score 91.23% of there score
Of the 20.46% of the time he's not on the field they score 8.77% of there score
Of all the players in our squad who have played over 65% of there time in defence this season he averages the most goals conceded per game on average at 3.17 goals per game with Dunn second at 2.54 goals per game conceded on average. Our best defender on average is Howe who concedes just 1.01 goals per game Scharenberg concedes 1.34 goals per game.
For disposals over 15 meters to advantage Langdon effeciency is 54.4% the lowest of all our defenders Howe is the best at 91.2% Scharenberg is at 90.5%
Deducting kick in meters Langdon averages the least meters gained per disposal of all our defenders at 11.4m per disposal. Dunn has the highest average of 28.6m (he seems responsible for long kicks down the line) Scharenberg is at 25.7m and Howe and 25.2m
Murray averages the most run meters with ball in hand followed by Crisp and Murray has the highest average rebound 50 average which isn't surprising given he seems to have the license to run and carry out of defence
It's hard to correctly gauge how these stats affect the team overall as Moore hasn't played much gsme time over the first 9 rounds and we've had injuries in every gsme meaning players have had to adjust there roles during the game. Also the stats don't allow for players who play as the high defenders like Langdon does often so a bit of his good work is done outside the defensive 50 which doesn't score on his defence stat sheet but does on his overall stat sheet.
He may well get a game when everyone is fit but for mine the balance and skill level of our defensive team is better served when he's not there IMO
If he does come in then likley Crisp or Murray move to the bench and a Varcoe or Mayanrd would drop off
Hopefully we can get somewhere near our best 22 on the field more often than not in the coming weeks.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 am

I’d prefer Maynard over Murray. When Maynard and Langdon both went down, our back line looked a lot more fragile.

I also think that Jamie Elliott should be considered, though I understand why you excluded him. If we actually make finals, there is a reasonable chance he’ll be back. It’s a hammy, and with the right conditioning and five or six weeks rehab he should be back on the park. He is not just best 22, but best five or four. The prospect of Jamie and Jordan up forward is captivating. I really hope it can happen.

QLD, interesting stats but Stats are strange things. Howe coughs up at least a goal a game through poor disposal by foot, so his 0.1 goals a game given up (whatever that means in the era of team defence) is not really very illuminating.

E 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 pm

It goes without saying that Elliot is one of our very best player. I just think the back may now be chronic. When the back is done, the hamstrings cant cope with the tightness and the career is over. I will bet he hurt himself in the VFL without much effort being exerted that is an unbelievably bad sign. Usually hamstrings pop after a combination of fatigue and high level exertion.

I agree on stats. Team defense is a key counter to that stat. it might actually be more of a function of who gets the best players. Maybe Dunn and Langdon get the hard defensive assignment whereas they try not to make Howe defend so that he can do what he does best (intercept).

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 pm

There is one other “ stat “ that coaches really look at when they put a team together. Experience.
Murray only started playing the back six role two thirds of the way into last year’s NEAFL season. Langdon and Maynard have more experience as defenders in their little fingers than Murray.
I’m not bagging Murray, he is the TYPE we have been looking for a while now.
It’s only his first year, he would be tired as a first year AFL player and opposition coaches are putting more time into him. He will be alright but if everyone’s available in the big games, then experience in that role plays a big part in the final selection.
It’s a pleasant problem, albeit all three of them have various limitations.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm

E wrote:
It goes without saying that Elliot is one of our very best player. I just think the back may now be chronic. When the back is done, the hamstrings cant cope with the tightness and the career is over. I will bet he hurt himself in the VFL without much effort being exerted that is an unbelievably bad sign. Usually hamstrings pop after a combination of fatigue and high level exertion.

I agree on stats. Team defense is a key counter to that stat. it might actually be more of a function of who gets the best players. Maybe Dunn and Langdon get the hard defensive assignment whereas they try not to make Howe defend so that he can do what he does best (intercept).

We have to move on with or without Elliot. If he's not there he's not there.
Presti wasn't there in 2010 and we were able to replace him with Nathan Brown. Our reserves are thin at the moment dealing with injuries to Reid and Moore. I think our situation in 2019 will be greatly improved on from our drafting and trading at the end of this season. Sometimes there's a bridge between the very top teams and the ones sitting below and there's nothing you can do to bridge the gap. Unless McLarty comes on, Sier and Wills come on, Cox comes good, Murray and Appleby improve. These are hypotheticals that could get us to the top of the premiership ladder this season but common sense tells me this won't happen.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm

E wrote:

It is E I don't understand how the formulate them with players handing over there assignments like they do. You see often Scharenberg plays deeper and like a keeper often and gets whoever is handed over to him often a mismatch in size recently
Hence why I said I think the stats can be misleading in some ways
I like to use the eye test when making judgements and IMO Langdon gets lost a fair bit. Not saying he's the worst defender we have I think Murray the past 2 weeks has been way down on his first few weeks. I personally like to see Langdon maybe play up the field more to near a wing and try to cut off more balls before they get into our defensive 50
Also I prefer to see a horses for courses approach depending on who we play and where we play
Like with the Tigers we need more small defenders with pace than taller slower players
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:43 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
E I think it's fairly close but I don't think it will ever line up like that from what we've seen this sesson thus far
The club seem set on playing Moore at CHB which isn't.a bad thing if we had a dominate forward (which Cox isn't) but Cox has shown if he gets a run at it he can be dangerous he just doesn't do it enough.
For mine the best we can put on the park this season given I agree about Elliott Broomhead and Goldie won't play this season the side would be

B. Murray. Dunn. Howe
HB.Crisp. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Pendles. Treloar
HF. WHE. Reid. Thomas
F. Stephenson. Cox. JDG.
R. Grundy. Adams. Sidey
Int. Phillips. Varcoe. Aish. Maynard
Emg. Seir. Mayne. Brown. Langdon. Daicos. Greenwood

With the style of play we have adopted we need grunt around the ball then outside running
The bench provides the ability to give the first choice players a rest
Of the starting 22 Varcoe and Maynard would be most at risk with Brown and Seir the logical replacements
I know some will be down on me for not naming Langdon but I did some research on champion data of his season thus far here's the results
In the games he's played he averages 79.54% of gaming time on the field
During that 79.54% of game time the oppostion score 91.23% of there score
Of the 20.46% of the time he's not on the field they score 8.77% of there score
Of all the players in our squad who have played over 65% of there time in defence this season he averages the most goals conceded per game on average at 3.17 goals per game with Dunn second at 2.54 goals per game conceded on average. Our best defender on average is Howe who concedes just 1.01 goals per game Scharenberg concedes 1.34 goals per game.
For disposals over 15 meters to advantage Langdon effeciency is 54.4% the lowest of all our defenders Howe is the best at 91.2% Scharenberg is at 90.5%
Deducting kick in meters Langdon averages the least meters gained per disposal of all our defenders at 11.4m per disposal. Dunn has the highest average of 28.6m (he seems responsible for long kicks down the line) Scharenberg is at 25.7m and Howe and 25.2m
Murray averages the most run meters with ball in hand followed by Crisp and Murray has the highest average rebound 50 average which isn't surprising given he seems to have the license to run and carry out of defence
It's hard to correctly gauge how these stats affect the team overall as Moore hasn't played much gsme time over the first 9 rounds and we've had injuries in every gsme meaning players have had to adjust there roles during the game. Also the stats don't allow for players who play as the high defenders like Langdon does often so a bit of his good work is done outside the defensive 50 which doesn't score on his defence stat sheet but does on his overall stat sheet.
He may well get a game when everyone is fit but for mine the balance and skill level of our defensive team is better served when he's not there IMO
If he does come in then likley Crisp or Murray move to the bench and a Varcoe or Mayanrd would drop off
Hopefully we can get somewhere near our best 22 on the field more often than not in the coming weeks.

Langdon emergency?😂😂😂
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm not ready to resign Levi to an emergency position either... I'd say he has strong claims on being best 22, especially when we all seem to identify that we are a 'grunt' team. He'd be just about the hardest bloke on the list... with Dunn, Adams and Maynard.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Best 22 just never happens. It’s a moving feast. You need 28 players that are almost interchangeable and in the scheme of things we’re doing pretty well.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Random fact - After round 9, the Kangas have only used TWENTY SIX players this season. That’s ridiculous !
Never underestimate the value of keeping your best players out on the ground week in, week out.
We could only dream of that over the last few years 🙄
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm not a fan of best 22's, I think it varies but you need 4-5 players minimum putting pressure on in the magoos. If you have 22 players contributing and that 4-5 banging on the door for a spot, you're in a good place.

Having said that, I think Cox needs to be a lock unless he absolutely loses all form. He'll learn more playing AFL than VFL and he is a vital component of our structure.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 pm

By year's end, due to injuries and form, our best 22 may not include Elliott, Moore, Reid or Fasolo.

However, it may include newbees such as Sier, McLarty, Murphy, alongside Murray and of course Stephenson.
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not a fan of best 22's, I think it varies but you need 4-5 players minimum putting pressure on in the magoos. If you have 22 players contributing and that 4-5 banging on the door for a spot, you're in a good place.

Having said that, I think Cox needs to be a lock unless he absolutely loses all form. He'll learn more playing AFL than VFL and he is a vital component of our structure.

only because there are no better option (and there hasnt been for last 3 years). I suspect you would have a very different view of Cox's value if we had a Brown or a Lynch or a Kennedy up there. I really hope Moore becomes that guy soon.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I’m a massive fan of Coxy but imagine if we have Elliot and Moore available, DeGoey still flying as a deep forward. Can we Play all four down there. I think our gameplan would suffer. Would be a great problem to have but we probably won’t have it due To injuries. That’s why best 22 is a myth.

Come Round 18 if North suddenly get a few injuries to their big forwards where’s their alternative setup? We on the other hand will have run lots of different setups. Nobody likes injuries, but there is a silver lining.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: