Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
I sometimes think it would be a good idea to have a kind of reverse Gavin Brown medal on here. Who were the five players who contributed least to the side in a game ?

This is not to be social-media cruel (though that’s a reason not to institutionalise it on here), but it would help to point out those players who may need to be replaced if we are to become a top four side.

Last night the lower-end players seemed to be Mason Cox, Sam Murray, Flynn
Appleby, Josh Thomas and the luckless Fas. I am not naming them because they are poor footballers, but because they may stand between us and greatness as a side. They’re th selection question marks after this game.. Taylor Adams was lucky not to make it onto the list, especially with that regulation Adams gift pass to the oppo in the middle.

McLarty is probably the Cox replacement, at least until Mason learns to take a chest mark.
Sier or Greenwood are probably the Thomas replacement
Maynard or Murphy (who apparently played a blinder in the magoos) can replace Murray
Reid to replace Fas.

Appleby is a development prospect, and I think he’s going to get better as his confidence rises, so I’d keep pumping games into him - if only because we need a standby mid-tall defender until Moore can recover. Flynn seems a little nervous and intense, but I suspect he has what it takes.

Flynn has been a little flat the last two games, enough for me to say give him a couple of games back in the VFL. Murray has been flat as well but I would sooner keep playing him in the senior side. We have too many half back flanker types in any case and I was surprised that one didn't go when Langdon returned from injury. We are losing the centre clearances as well so it seems clear to me to replace a half back flanker with a big bodied mid like Sier who will learn a lot against playing against another one in Bontempelli next week.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm

There has been a great deal comment on Cox as a result of his poor marking efforts in this game. This season we have had the oppotunity of seeing both the best and the worst of Cox. At his best he holds a lot of marks, kicks 2 to 3 goals and brings the ball to ground to the advange of our other players. At his worst he drops everything that comes his way and opposition players have spoilt and runoff him with ease.

The good Cox is a keeper. We just need to work out how to ensure we see the good Cox at every oppotunity. Based upon this it is worth investing more time in him.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:55 pm

After watching Brisbane demolish Hawthorn today, maybe our close win wasn't such a letdown after all.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
There has been a great deal comment on Cox as a result of his poor marking efforts in this game. This season we have had the oppotunity of seeing both the best and the worst of Cox. At his best he holds a lot of marks, kicks 2 to 3 goals and brings the ball to ground to the advange of our other players. At his worst he drops everything that comes his way and opposition players have spoilt and runoff him with ease.

The good Cox is a keeper. We just need to work out how to ensure we see the good Cox at every oppotunity. Based upon this it is worth investing more time in him.
good cox are always a keeper,

Cheers mugwump!

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him dropped this week, even with our lack of talls. He was genuinely horrible on Saturday night, absolute liability. The ease with which he gets run under the ball time after time is unbelievably frustrating for a bloke his size... Hold your frickin ground man.

Can occasionally clunk a good pack mark, but it's nearly useless if he's more than 35 metres out because he won't be kicking a goal. The biggest issue with him is that we essentially have one less man once the ball hits the ground. He can't apply any real defensive pressure, it completely undermines our defensive forward gameplan. I'd honestly just go with McClarty for now if Cox is only good for 9 disposals and a behind. At least McClarty can apply genuine forward pressure

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Let's take our game up a notch or two this week, by making some bold team selections.

Its obvious to everyone that Cox has been less than impressive in most games he's played, despite making solid contributions in a couple of games. His last couple of outings, however, have been less than ordinary. If he wasn't 7 ft tall and a Yank, he would have been dropped before now. He could well have a great future with us, but right now he needs to spend a few weeks in the ressies and start clunking lots of marks. Until he does that consistently in the VFL, I wouldn't bring him back to the AFL.

That means we should bring in McLarty this week. He wasn't great on the weekend, but he is a forward/ruck and he knows how to play the game. He can also mark. I honestly can't see how he could possibly give us less that what we are getting from Cox atm, and he is likely to give us a whole lot more imo.

Murphy is another who should debut for us this week. He was brilliant in the VFL, and showed real toughness. He's stronger and taller than Appleby, and young Appleby needs a rest imo.

I'd love to debut Sier or bring in Wills, to replace Fas, but I doubt we'll make 3 changes.

Still, I'd love us to be bold and debut 3 players this week.

Out: Fas, Cox, Appleby

In: Sier, Murphy, McLarty
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
The good Cox is a keeper. We just need to work out how to ensure we see the good Cox at every oppotunity.

good cox are always a keeper

Bahahaha! I saw what you did there, skipper! Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:15 pm

piedys wrote:
think positive wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
The good Cox is a keeper. We just need to work out how to ensure we see the good Cox at every oppotunity.

good cox are always a keeper

Bahahaha! I saw what you did there, skipper! Laughing

Hehehe, Wink

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 pm

^^^

I agree Cox has been below par of late but there is one thing Cox will do that McLarty won’t do ( yet ) McLarty won’t draw two opponents when he goes for a mark in the forward line. Cox does and it happens very regularly.
It’s hard to really know just how many times our players benefit from the two on one.
Plus he still gives Grundy a chop out in the ruck and that’s important for balance . I would think McLarty would get monstered if he had to fill that role on debut.
I would still have Cox in the side this week, even if Reid comes back but he certainly isn’t far away from the twos if he doesn’t lift.
And good to see you’re warming to Mayne 😂😂
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Well just read this thread and after reading "Extreme Black n White" I am thinking that we are yet to get a win.

Lets just enjoy the wins
Out Poor Old Faz but the in is either Sier or McLarty

McLarty would give us another down the line option, but because we are playing a team that does not have a key position player or ruckman I think it is Sier (and he deserves his chance).

The players who need more games are (in no particular order) Cox, Mayne, Appleby Langdon.
Players who should be looking over their shoulders Treloar, Adams, Thomas WHE (stop dropping simple marks and try finishing the game in the first 2 minutes of the last quarter by not kicking points) Varcoe (you were better last night but you need more of the ball and you need to kick simple set shots)

Anyway back to the replay of the royal wedding???

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Very easy!

If Reid and Maynard right to go, then it's...

In : Reid, Maynard
Out: Fasolo (inj), Appleby (omitted)

Best side on paper for the year, even without Moore and Elliot.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:32 pm

The Average Tourist wrote:
Well just read this thread and after reading "Extreme Black n White" I am thinking that we are yet to get a win.

Lets just enjoy the wins
Out Poor Old Faz but the in is either Sier or McLarty

McLarty would give us another down the line option, but because we are playing a team that does not have a key position player or ruckman I think it is Sier (and he deserves his chance).

The players who need more games are (in no particular order) Cox, Mayne, Appleby Langdon.
Players who should be looking over their shoulders Treloar, Adams, Thomas WHE (stop dropping simple marks and try finishing the game in the first 2 minutes of the last quarter by not kicking points) Varcoe (you were better last night but you need more of the ball and you need to kick simple set shots)
??
Shocked Shocked

Treloar s been in our best the last few weeks, had a mildly quiet one this week.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:01 am

Against Richmond everyone in the media was touting the arrival of the Cox. Keep him in there, no Moore, no structure and the opposition can't ignore Cox he's just like the Statue of Liberty. Turns like her too. Wink
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 am

Cam wrote:
Against Richmond everyone in the media was touting the arrival of the Cox. Keep him in there, no Moore, no structure and the opposition can't ignore Cox he's just like the Statue of Liberty. Turns like her too. Wink

She’s more likely to take a chest mark.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 am

The Dogs always worry me. They have a very young and inexperienced team at the moment, but our recent record against them has been poor.

We've lost our last five clashes against them, but they haven't been thrashings through.

- Round 13 2014 = -8
- Round 17 2015 = -18
- Round 10 2016 = -21 (had no bench due to injuries)
- Round 21 2016 = -3
- Round 1 2017 = -14

Hopefully we turn the tide this week.

Last edited by Jezza on Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: