Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Saints - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy with the win Cool
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:03 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
JDG didn’t miss a goal. Not one snap, or set shot.

In today’s game, that’s BOG worthy in my book.

6.0 is a BOG performance. He still has to make space, read the play, find himself in those situations. Don’t underestimate that sort of thing, otherwise Blair, Mayne, and others would be slotting bags weekly.

No-one else has been able to kick a bag of 6 goals. In fact, in the entire career of Travis Cloke, he was only able to kick 6 on a small number of occasions, and never more than that.

JDG has now kicked a bag of 5 and a bag of 6 this year. I'm pretty sure I heard a commentator say there was only one other player in the entire AFL who has done that so far.

If poor old Clokey had converted like a blue chip forward he would have been feted and hailed. He didn't and his feet were nailed. [But I still loved his work Eddiesmith Wink ]

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

What did you make of that performance?
Quote:
"It was frustrating at times. For the second week in a row, we made some adjustments at half time and showed the maturity to be able to change things up to get things our way. We didn't get the result last week, but got the result this week. The competition is showing you cannot take anything for granted, so it was a strong enough performance for what we needed this evening".

What was the big change at half time that produced the third quarter effort?
Quote:
"We executed a little bit better offensively. We really fed into the slingshot style of St Kilda in the first half. We needed to impose probably an offensive pace or tempo that was going to take that away. I think we did it for some of the second half, but not all of the second half. It was pretty clear how we needed to move the ball to prevent that opportunity to bounce back at us as hard. St Kilda have done that particularly well through the first eight rounds regardless of their results, so we did that better after half time".

How's Alex Fasolo?
Quote:
"He's upset. We think that it's a syndemosis ankle injury, but he will have a scan. These days, they can really linger and hang around so we'll know more about it when we get the scans. Clearly, getting his opportunity and getting injured early in the game, he's a bit dirty and got plenty of emotions going on. We will get around him and it's pretty early in the year so we'll give him plenty of time".

On the flip side, Jordan De Goey performs well once again?
Quote:
"Yeah, Jordy is going well. He's winning his one-on-one contests and finishing when he gets that opportunity. I thought him, Will Hoskin-Elliott and Stephenson looked dangerous at times deep; Trav Varcoe's pressure and along with Wells' finish and pressure. We got the ball in their enough for those boys to go to work. De Goey was significant enough through those second and third quarters where we hit the scoreboard, he was the guy that did most of the damage for us. I think he's enjoying playing as a forward probably a bit more than he thought he would. At the moment, the way our midfield is structured and the way our forward line is structured, he's clearly important in that part of the field".

Does it make you reconsider that when some of the other boys come back, that you might leave him there [in the forward line]?
Quote:
"Yeah. If you got a bloke that's going to kick five or sixes, it's pretty hard to find those guys in the competition. It's not so much just hitting the scoreboard. It's the contest, his aerial impact and the fact that he can win the ball on the ground and his speed. He's starting to understand the role more and more to. He's still a young AFL footballer; still learning the caper, tricks of the trade to make life easier for himself and for his teammates around him. He's coming along".

Do you keep De Goey as a deep forward? That mix you're talking about with Cox as a tall and those speedy guys at ground level looked like it work
Quote:
"I think so. We don't mind being fast and running the ball with our hands when we find those holes in the opposition's defence, we can really attack the game. Having a couple of tall forwards there to go to to be able to outlet the ball too long. I actually think we're looking dangerous in that as well when we do take that long down the line whether it's to a 6ft2 who's 1v1 or a 6ft10 who can really compete for us. We're looking dangerous off that as well. Having a couple of talls doesn't hurt and it's still our preference to have another tall option there. We were able to do enough tonight to buffer that, but we'll keep an open mind as it might look better for us as we go down the track, but we're still gathering information".

How did you see that last quarter? Was it frustrating sitting there watching that?
Quote:
"It wasn't exactly what we wanted to do. We ended up looking like we sat 18 blokes behind the ball and that's not exactly what we wanted to do. 1.3 each is not a great impact on the score. It wasn't pretty. St Kilda had 8 scores from turnover in the first half, only 3 in the second half and only 1 in the last so from that side of things it wasn't a disappointing defensive effort, but I didn't think we looked after the ball well at all".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-05-19/raw-buckley-reflects-on-etihad-win

Last edited by Jezza on Mon May 21, 2018 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:35 am

Doc63 wrote:
Pretty ordinary game to watch, other than the 3rd quarter. The last quarter was probably the worst quarter of football I've ever seen.

In the past few years we would have dropped this game, but we found a way to win.

Thank God for De Goey - its time to cut the crap & sign him on a 4 year contract right now. This bloke will be a gun.

Lets not kid ourselves, we wont be doing a Richmond this year, but we have improved on the last couple of seasons, and I think we will keep improving. I think if we can keep winning these games that we should win, we will sneak into the last couple of spots in the 8 - I think a final or 2 would do the world of good for some of our younger players.

Agree with all of this. Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the game.

We're not a top 4 team, but at least we're competing for a finals spot. In the last two years, we were already out of the race at this stage of the season.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:42 am

RudeBoy wrote:
JDG has now kicked a bag of 5 and a bag of 6 this year. I'm pretty sure I heard a commentator say there was only one other player in the entire AFL who has done that so far.

There's two other players who have kicked 5 goals or more on multiple occasions this season.

That's Ben Brown and Dustin Martin.

Last edited by Jezza on Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:53 am

We have to hide the presser transcript from Rudey. He's going to go berko again.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 am

K wrote:
We have to hide the presser transcript from Rudey. He's going to go berko again.

Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 am

Jezza wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Pretty ordinary game to watch, other than the 3rd quarter. The last quarter was probably the worst quarter of football I've ever seen.

In the past few years we would have dropped this game, but we found a way to win.

Thank God for De Goey - its time to cut the crap & sign him on a 4 year contract right now. This bloke will be a gun.

Lets not kid ourselves, we wont be doing a Richmond this year, but we have improved on the last couple of seasons, and I think we will keep improving. I think if we can keep winning these games that we should win, we will sneak into the last couple of spots in the 8 - I think a final or 2 would do the world of good for some of our younger players.

Agree with all of this. Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the game.

We're not a top 4 team, but at least we're competing for a finals spot. In the last two years, we were already out of the race at this stage of the season.

Yep , certainly a better feeling! And thanks for th3 transcript Jezza cheers

Crazypie 

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 am

Cam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

6.0 is a BOG performance. He still has to make space, read the play, find himself in those situations. Don’t underestimate that sort of thing, otherwise Blair, Mayne, and others would be slotting bags weekly.

No-one else has been able to kick a bag of 6 goals. In fact, in the entire career of Travis Cloke, he was only able to kick 6 on a small number of occasions, and never more than that.

If poor old Clokey had converted like a blue chip forward he would have been feted and hailed. He didn't and his feet were nailed. [But I still loved his work Eddiesmith Wink ]

Cloke kicked 7 against Richmond in 2013 also Ben brown just this round kicked 5 in a quarter so there is now 3 players that have done it this year.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Cam wrote:

Pendlebury - such a joy to watch when he has the ball, gives you more confidence than new Blundstones.

These are the only moments when I breathe a sigh of relief. When Pendles has the ball for those 3 or 4 seconds I feel at peace.

I fully understand that feeling MM. It's an instant surge of relief!! Very Happy

Just wanted to remark on a piece of magical play from Jaidyn Stephenson. He tackled an opponent around the 50m mark, threw him aside, grabbed the loose ball turned around and booted it right through the sticks. I was just gob-smacked. When you look at his physique, it's hard to believe he'd be capable of the splendid tackle in the first place!!! So much talent and courage in his slender frame.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 pm

On SEN this morning, David King (whose comments usually, but not always, seem to be worthwhile), said that the Pies will pay JDG whatever he's worth in the market place at the end of the season to retain him, perhaps even at the expense of letting Darcy Moore go.

Also said that at present, our forward game seems to be set up around him and that he may not have that luxury at another team like North, where they already have the numero uno big tall. JDG may have to play second fiddle at another club and King thought that may come into JDG's thinking about whether to go or stay.

Honestly, whatever media commentators say has to be taken with a grain of salt most of the time. Just found this interesting because it brought into play another another factor I haven't seen discussed as yet - basically, whether JDG could see himself being happy and able to play his best footy at another club.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Crazypie wrote:
Cam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Cloke kicked 7 against Richmond in 2013 also Ben brown just this round kicked 5 in a quarter so there is now 3 players that have done it this year.

That's great... but he didn't make a career out of bagging 5+ on a regular occasion like the great forwards do/have.

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:51 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
On SEN this morning, David King (whose comments usually, but not always, seem to be worthwhile), said that the Pies will pay JDG whatever he's worth in the market place at the end of the season to retain him, perhaps even at the expense of letting Darcy Moore go.

Also said that at present, our forward game seems to be set up around him and that he may not have that luxury at another team like North, where they already have the numero uno big tall. JDG may have to play second fiddle at another club and King thought that may come into JDG's thinking about whether to go or stay.

Honestly, whatever media commentators say has to be taken with a grain of salt most of the time. Just found this interesting because it brought into play another another factor I haven't seen discussed as yet - basically, whether JDG could see himself being happy and able to play his best footy at another club.

Damien Barrett said the opposite on Triple M just then. Said his asking price is hovering around $750K currently & Collingwood won't pay that much to keep him. Said St Kilda & North have been working on him since last year

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Ev5Magpies wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Damien Barrett said the opposite on Triple M just then. Said his asking price is hovering around $750K currently & Collingwood won't pay that much to keep him. Said St Kilda & North have been working on him since last year

FYI - here's the audio podcast of David King on SEN this morning. The focus on De Goey starts from the 28 min mark.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=197902
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Ev5Magpies wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Oh that's funny!!!!! Just goes to show that no-one really knows, least of all the commentators. Laughing

One thing I feel relatively certainly of is that I'd give more credit to something that David King said ahead of Damien Barrett, who seems to me to be after the sensational headlines most of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: