Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Matt—our quiet achiever

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Agree with most of that E, but Murray was pretty poor against Brisbane, too, where he got exposed defensively. The Cats’ style of play probably made it stand out even more.

I can’t agree with you on Howe, though. Wonderful player, but makes at least one costly howler and usually two per game. Taylor
Adams’ greatest competitor in that regard, Afaic

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 am

Sighting Sunday in Matt,s case not ment to be flippant assessment

There is certainly more to his career than that excellent game —it was more for me to acknowledge the man

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Love this kid, he had every reason to think, wtf, this might not be for me but has shown great resolve and character to get where he is. Best story of the year so far imo.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm

bally12 wrote:
Has become a good spoiler, and I've noticed he uses his left hand to spoil. Is he left-handed?

Agree with BT when he commented he plays within himself. Seems to go back on the mark all the time when he takes a mark. I'd love if he can play on straight away sometimes, and add to the backline rebound run.

Small steps though, doing well Matty. Keep it up!

Agreed. His intercept is great and courage unquestionable. Just doesn’t seem to penetrate with meters gained very much. Prone to dinky handballs and 20 meter lateral short passes. I guess this is the next step in his development.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 pm

inxs88 wrote:
bally12 wrote:
Has become a good spoiler, and I've noticed he uses his left hand to spoil. Is he left-handed?

Agree with BT when he commented he plays within himself. Seems to go back on the mark all the time when he takes a mark. I'd love if he can play on straight away sometimes, and add to the backline rebound run.

Small steps though, doing well Matty. Keep it up!

Agreed. His intercept is great and courage unquestionable. Just doesn’t seem to penetrate with meters gained very much. Prone to dinky handballs and 20 meter lateral short passes. I guess this is the next step in his development.

From what I can gather after comments from Bucks and Schazz himself, he may have been trying too hard to do what was unnatural for him during the pre-season. The message became to concentrate on his strengths, which are formidable - reading the play, using his body, tackling, spoiling and marking, disposing the ball accurately - all the traits of a strong, dependable, old-fashioned defender. Leave the dash and meters gained to someone else who can do it better eg Crisp, Murray.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ Agree with most of that E, but Murray was pretty poor against Brisbane, too, where he got exposed defensively. The Cats’ style of play probably made it stand out even more.

I can’t agree with you on Howe, though. Wonderful player, but makes at least one costly howler and usually two per game. Taylor

That is interesting re Howe. I always think of him as pretty reliable. I guess i'll have to watch more closely.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Great to see him Playing like the Top Prospect he was when we Drafted Him
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 pm

I really like Scharenberg but all this comparison to James Clement is doing my head in.
Clement was a genuine A grader. He was AA twice (should have been three times) and won the Copeland twice, came second once and third once. He beat the best medium size forwards (e.g. Hird) and the best small forwards (eg Matera) of his era.
He had all the poise and skills of Scharenberg but he also had genuine pace and real penetration in his kicking.
I understand that the berg may have lost pace and distance in his kicking due to his knee injuries but unless he can magically recover these skills then I can't see him rising to Clement's level.

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Im talking about his style, but if he continues the way hes going , he could surpass Clemmys achievements , time will tell
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Watching him live at the Gabba shocked me. He had poor defense positioning on his opponent alot of the time and his body language after an effort was bad.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Completely agree about Howe, even down to the twice per game.
Very good footballer but his desire to kick around his body usually when he tries to switch the play, completely does my head in. Sidebottom has the skill to get away with it ( most times ) Howe doesn’t.
Having said that, I’m glad he’s on our side but he would be even better if he took those silly risky kicks out of his game ( or took the kick when he was more balanced and facing directly at his intended target )
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I've never been so happy to be so wrong about a player. I was convinced his chronic knee injuries and dodgy feet had conspired to make him a cripple, unable to rise to the demands of the modern game. He is getting better week by week and he deserves to be applauded for persevering and proving the the doubters (like me) wrong. Well done Schaz.

Rude you weren't wrong as such you were being cautious because if his injury history.
When many of us including myself were being overly optimistic at the time you reasoned that it would take near a miracle to get back from all those injuries.
I like many other hope he could because the best version of Scharenberg was what this side badly needed.
You always prayed to be wrong in your comments but you were justified in them.
I like you are glad he's showing why he was so highly rated as a junior. After 21 games he's now looking settled and like he belongs and that's half the battle with young players.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:48 pm

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

That is interesting re Howe. I always think of him as pretty reliable. I guess i'll have to watch more closely.

This week it was a kick out in the third quarter to Wells, which was intercepted and went straight back over his head. He gives up a serious turnover, usually costing a goal, each week with poor disposal.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s the first time a Collingwood top 10 draft pick from 2013 has had 29 disposals in a game of AFL footy. And no Collingwood halfback from that draft has had 29 disposals since ...

... round 20 last year.

You need to add Scharenberg's 14 marks, 5 tackles, 7 rebound 50's DE @84.6% 320 meters gained and 6 X 1%ers
The other game by the other HBF had half the marks, half the tackles, half the rebound 50's a DE of 64%, 214 meters gained and 2 X 1%ers
So basically it was half the game of Scharenberg's
Highlights why they were drafted were they were
One taken at pick 6 is showing to be a champion the other is a 4th round pick and not in the team
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am

So just like Friday he will be delisted or traded to another club? I don't see any better performances from Matt then frosty had
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: