Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Matt—our quiet achiever

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm
Post subject: Matt—our quiet achieverReply with quote

In a year where Jayden Stephenson and Sam Murray have us cheering
Sidebottom and Grundy are in top gear down back Matt Scharenberg
has got better and better.

Sunday saw him pick up 29 disposal,s and 14 marks he appear,s to have put
the horror start behind him

I am extremely happy this kid has made all his hard work bare fruit

Well done lad

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been so happy to be so wrong about a player. I was convinced his chronic knee injuries and dodgy feet had conspired to make him a cripple, unable to rise to the demands of the modern game. He is getting better week by week and he deserves to be applauded for persevering and proving the the doubters (like me) wrong. Well done Schaz.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 pm

What has pleasantly surprised me, is his great judgement of the ball in flight.
He normally makes near perfect position in the marking contests.
He is going to be one of those players who, when you see him second in line as the ball is coming in, you would still back him in.

It’s a really good story and hopefully he gets the fairytale ending.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Rolls....

Royce.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm

It’s the first time a Collingwood top 10 draft pick from 2013 has had 29 disposals in a game of AFL footy. And no Collingwood halfback from that draft has had 29 disposals since ...

... round 20 last year.
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 pm

judging the quality of his game on possessions alone is folly. Many possessions intercept serious goal scoring opps. He is strong one on one, and reads the play beautifully.

Oh, and his use of the ball is beyond elite!

He and De Goey are the best story of the year and a big part of the reason we now expect to win nearly every game....

Murray was super ordinary on the weekend by the way. turnover machine. did we ejaculate prematurely over this guy???

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Has become a good spoiler, and I've noticed he uses his left hand to spoil. Is he left-handed?

Agree with BT when he commented he plays within himself. Seems to go back on the mark all the time when he takes a mark. I'd love if he can play on straight away sometimes, and add to the backline rebound run.

Small steps though, doing well Matty. Keep it up!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:35 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I've never been so happy to be so wrong about a player. I was convinced his chronic knee injuries and dodgy feet had conspired to make him a cripple, unable to rise to the demands of the modern game. He is getting better week by week and he deserves to be applauded for persevering and proving the the doubters (like me) wrong. Well done Schaz.

I told ya so! Freakin’ GUN.

I understand your concerns, but I tried to tell you to keep the faith. Kid is an out and out gun. The most unassuming star in the making I’ve seen. Jim Clement Mk II.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 pm

His ability to take chest marks in pack situations, out reading and out bodying opponents can’t be underestimated. He’s a talent worthy of a top 6 pick,
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I told ya so! Freakin’ GUN.

I understand your concerns, but I tried to tell you to keep the faith. Kid is an out and out gun. The most unassuming star in the making I’ve seen. Jim Clement Mk II.

Yep, Jimmy Clement keeps coming to mind every time I watch him. Just a natural, natural footballer. The best, assuming injury gods allow, is yet to come. Even when we lose, I derive some consoling joy from watching blokes like Matt grow.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 pm

E wrote:

Murray was super ordinary on the weekend by the way. turnover machine. did we ejaculate prematurely over this guy???

Yep, and the week before. Murray was a disaster against the Cats and flatly contributed to the loss.

He seems to be trying to take it on a bit less, and I wonder if the coaches have tried to stop him haring off with the ball, only to stop and wonder where to kick it to... so now he doesn’t run with the ball, then has no idea what to do with it anyway. God, he was execrable yesterday. Back to the twos to learn a bit more about the caper.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm

I always feel confident when he has the ball in hand, which is a rare and pleasant thing.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 pm

Jimmy Clement written all over him
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:07 am

Matty would be a monty for state of origin selection. Well done. Probably break a leg if given that opportunity.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:24 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

Yep, and the week before. Murray was a disaster against the Cats and flatly contributed to the loss.

He seems to be trying to take it on a bit less, and I wonder if the coaches have tried to stop him haring off with the ball, only to stop and wonder where to kick it to... so now he doesn’t run with the ball, then has no idea what to do with it anyway. God, he was execrable yesterday. Back to the twos to learn a bit more about the caper.

i wonder if his aggressive style works well against the lesser teams because you can take the game on and if it doesnt work, its not noticable because the ball gets turned straight back over (or better still, it might work to break down their crappy defense). Against teams like Geelong, i suspect if you play with complete abandon, you fall straight into their trap.

When Geelong gets the ball they tend to keep it for a while. Its very Hawthorn in that way. Frustrating, and it means that the errors that Murray's style of play produces get magnified.

conversely, the assuredness with with Scharenberg plays may not look so flash when we are pouring it on, but boy oh boy its reassuring to know that when he gets it, we will likely still have it after he disposes of it. He and Pendles (and id even add Howe, De Goey and Stevenson to that mix) are players of that caliber.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: