Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No Wonder So Many People are Depressed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s the weather, this winter is starting to feel like the day after tomorrow. Depressing everyone, even those who hate summer.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Mugwump wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ that the idea of “rights” is both infinitely elastic and expandable and endlessly divisive, being exploited for, and by, sectional groups.

Liberty under the law, guaranteed by parliament and the constitution and defended by a patriotic people, is a far more powerful and noble set of ideas, being accorded to all citizens, not some.

And that law is built on rights and bills of rights because the language of serious negotiation and lasting peace can only ever be one of robust principles.

Sure, but whose principles, based on what type of moral understanding, and how universal in its application ? Is a law against blasphemy in a modern Muslim nation contrary to human rights ? Is the right to life inviolable ? Between abortion, warfare and capital punishment, many people in our society apparently think not. So how universal are these principles across cultures ?

There are deep abiding human principles about justice and laws that seem deeply encoded in the human soul - that it be proportionate, non-arbitrary, equitably judged, that crime be avoidable etc. That seems to function across cultures, in a way that is less obvious for “human rights”.

Not for the first time, I am reminded of arguments for the Moral Law made by C.S. Lewis. It seems that the (alleged) existence of the Moral Law is very closely related to the (alleged) existence of Evil...
K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:18 pm

C.S. Lewis:

"This law was called the Law of Nature because people thought that every one knew it by nature and did not need to be taught it. ... [T]aking the race as a whole, they thought that the human idea of decent behaviour was obvious to every one. And I believe they were right. If they were not, then all the things we said about the war were nonsense. What was the sense in saying the enemy were in the wrong unless Right is a real thing which the Nazis at bottom knew as well as we did and ought to have practised? If they had had no notion of what we mean by right, then, though we might still have had to fight them, we could no more have blamed them for that than for the colour of their hair.

I know that some people say the idea of a Law of Nature or decent behaviour known to all men is unsound, because different civilisations and different ages have had quite different moralities.

But this is not true. There have been differences between their moralities, but these have never amounted to anything like a total difference. If anyone will take the trouble to compare the moral teaching of, say, the ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Hindus, Chinese, Greeks and Romans, what will really strike him will be how very like they are to each other and to our own. ..."
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

I cannot predict the future.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 am

For such a respected thinker, Lewis sure came up with some simplistic arguments (see, for instance, his incomprehensibly celebrated, Pascal’s-wager-esque “Jesus was either the son of God or a madman” quote, which I thought was impressive when I was 14). Of course a lot of what was said in WW2 was nonsense; war propaganda is ever thus.

The cross-cultural consistency that Lewis talks about is not evidence of a universal moral law so much as evidence of the common factors required for a functional society. Beyond those requirements (thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, etc.), many societies have historically been quite comfortable treating outgroups (either within or outside its borders) dreadfully. The Nazis just found a particularly efficient and cruel way of enacting that. And even Allied forces, for all their claims of moral superiority, were not opposed to laying waste to a city like Dresden as punishment, snuffing out the lives of civilians as if they were ants on a kitchen bench. It is, indeed, that consistently inconsistent treatment of ingroups and outgroups throughout human history that makes talk of a universal moral law so absurd.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 am

David wrote:
For such a respected thinker, Lewis sure came up with some simplistic arguments (see, for instance, his ... “Jesus was either the son of God or a madman” quote, which I thought was impressive when I was 14)...

This is interesting: you mean as a fourteen-year-old you were a politically conservative, deeply religious reader of C.S. Lewis (his non-fiction, that is), and at twice that age you've become the politically opposite atheist reader of ... err... Knausgaard?
[I'm not suggesting Knausgaard is in some sense the "opposite" of Lewis; I'm just choosing not to suggest your more dubious reading choices in this particular comment. (Nor am I suggesting readers of C.S. Lewis are necessarily politically conservative or religious; those aspects of your youth were suggested previously.)]

The problem is that any notion of objective rights can at best be only a subset of an objective Moral Law, so if the latter does not exist, then neither does the former. Of course, that a universe with no Moral Law may be highly unpleasant to contemplate does not imply by itself that a Moral Law must exist.

On Knausgaard:
'Knausgaard’s bestselling series, My Struggle, controversially takes its title from Adolf Hitler’s memoir, Mein Kampf. The novelist used the work to show how the values a society rests upon can alter. “When Mein Kampf was published in Germany in 1926, it was ridiculed in all the major newspapers. It was considered inferior, vulgar and unintelligent ... A mere ten years later a whole new society was being built up around the same book and its values,” he told his audience, revealing that when he set out to read the work on a plane, he found he couldn’t take it out of his bag.'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/16/karl-ove-knausgaard-defends-authors-write-must-not-be-written
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 am

C. S. Lewis (II):

"[S]ome people wrote to me saying, "Isn't what you call the Moral Law simply our herd instinct and hasn't it been developed just like all our other instincts?" Now I do not deny that we may have a herd instinct: but that is not what I mean by the Moral Law. We all know what it feels like to be prompted by instinct—by mother love, or sexual instinct, or the instinct for food. It means that you feel a strong want or desire to act in a certain way. And, of course, we sometimes do feel just that sort of desire to help another person: and no doubt that desire is due to the herd instinct. But feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for help from a man in danger.

You will probably feel two desires—one a desire to give help (due to your herd instinct), the other a desire to keep out of danger (due to the instinct for self-preservation). But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them. ...

Another way of seeing that the Moral Law is not simply one of our instincts is this. If two instincts are in conflict, and there is nothing in a creature's mind except those two instincts, obviously the stronger of the two must win. But at those moments when we are most conscious of the Moral Law, it usually seems to be telling us to side with the weaker of the two impulses. You probably want to be safe much more than you want to help the man who is drowning: but the Moral Law tells you to help him all the same. And surely it often tells us to try to make the right impulse stronger than it naturally is? I mean, we often feel it our duty to stimulate the herd instinct, by waking up our imaginations and arousing our pity and so on, so as to get up enough steam for doing the right thing. But clearly we are not acting from instinct when we set about making an instinct stronger than it is. The thing that says to you, "Your herd instinct is asleep. Wake it up," cannot itself be the herd instinct. ...

Here is a third way of seeing it. If the Moral Law was one of our instincts, we ought to be able to point to some one impulse inside us which was always what we call "good," always in agreement with the rule of right behaviour. But you cannot. There is none of our impulses which the Moral Law may not sometimes tell us to suppress, and none which it may not sometimes tell us to encourage. It is a mistake to think that some of our impulses— say mother love or patriotism—are good, and others, like sex or the fighting instinct, are bad. All we mean is that the occasions on which the fighting instinct or the sexual desire need to be restrained are rather more frequent than those for restraining mother love or patriotism. But there are situations in which it is the duty of a married man to encourage his sexual impulse and of a soldier to encourage the fighting instinct.

There are also occasions on which a mother's love for her own children or a man's love for his own country have to be suppressed or they will lead to unfairness towards other people's children or countries. Strictly speaking, there are no such things as good and bad impulses. ..."
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 am

Regarding C.S. Lewis, Charles Foster claims

"It might be said that much of what Lewis thought of as his moral philosophizing was actually psychology. It’s not a distinction that should trouble any really serious moral philosophers, for whom moral philosophy is about right living. But perhaps the observation is correct. If it is, Lewis should be given the credit for brokering the marriage between psychology and moral philosophy that has spawned so many shrill and currently entertaining children."

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2014/11/c-s-lewis-as-a-moral-philosopher/

I'm not entirely sure what Foster means, but Lewis does seem to make certain assumptions about human psychology that are reminiscent of assumptions in traditional economics about human motivation...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:02 am

K wrote:
David wrote:
For such a respected thinker, Lewis sure came up with some simplistic arguments (see, for instance, his ... “Jesus was either the son of God or a madman” quote, which I thought was impressive when I was 14)...

This is interesting: you mean as a fourteen-year-old you were a politically conservative, deeply religious reader of C.S. Lewis (his non-fiction, that is), and at twice that age you've become the politically opposite atheist reader of ... err... Knausgaard?
[I'm not suggesting Knausgaard is in some sense the "opposite" of Lewis; I'm just choosing not to suggest your more dubious reading choices in this particular comment. (Nor am I suggesting readers of C.S. Lewis are necessarily politically conservative or religious; those aspects of your youth were suggested previously.)]

The problem is that any notion of objective rights can at best be only a subset of an objective Moral Law, so if the latter does not exist, then neither does the former. Of course, that a universe with no Moral Law may be highly unpleasant to contemplate does not imply by itself that a Moral Law must exist.

On Knausgaard:
'Knausgaard’s bestselling series, My Struggle, controversially takes its title from Adolf Hitler’s memoir, Mein Kampf. The novelist used the work to show how the values a society rests upon can alter. “When Mein Kampf was published in Germany in 1926, it was ridiculed in all the major newspapers. It was considered inferior, vulgar and unintelligent ... A mere ten years later a whole new society was being built up around the same book and its values,” he told his audience, revealing that when he set out to read the work on a plane, he found he couldn’t take it out of his bag.'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/16/karl-ove-knausgaard-defends-authors-write-must-not-be-written

Surprised you remember that! Yes, Knausgaard is a brilliant writer – probably one of the best currently working. I was never a huge reader of Lewis (I did read all of the Chronicles of Narnia series, like many kids). I was familiar with some of his writing on Christianity, though, and I remember that passage distinctly.

I don't see the link between rights and moral law. Sounds like some kind of ontological argument! Rights (codified in law or in practice) are, in my view, purely functional things that enable a society to operate.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm

David wrote:
I don't see the link between rights and moral law. Sounds like some kind of ontological argument! Rights (codified in law or in practice) are, in my view, purely functional things that enable a society to operate.

A logical link or a discussional (thread) link? In terms of the discussion, it arose from Mw's comment. (Lewis was interested in ontological arguments, of course.)

Mugwump wrote:
There are deep abiding human principles about justice and laws that seem deeply encoded in the human soul - that it be proportionate, non-arbitrary, equitably judged, that crime be avoidable etc. That seems to function across cultures, in a way that is less obvious for “human rights”.

Those "deep abiding principles about justice and laws" sound like the Moral Law, and furthermore it sounds like it is being compared favourably to "rights".

If rights are purely functional, as you view them, then surely they are arbitrary and we can simply ignore them if we judge the results to be functional. Were slave societies really dysfunctional? What about animal societies?

I also tend to be reminded of the (allegedly existing) Moral Law whenever you mention (allegedly non-existent) Evil (which is quite frequently). It seems to me that, in thinking about evil, your focus is too anthropocentric. I don't think the primary question is whether one can or should label a moral agent as evil; I think the primary question is whether one can claim that there are objective notions of Right and Wrong.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:58 pm

^ There's nothing particularly arbitrary about functionality in this sense; common ideas like right to life and right to property crop up near-universally because abandoning them makes a functional society impossible, and of course we internalise such ideas. The idea that these desires spring somehow innately from within us is only true, I think, in the sense that we recognise what we want for ourselves and are capable of feeling empathy for others; but whether these can be disentangled from the social and cultural norms that we are raised with is a more difficult question. These internal "moral" intuitions belong, after all, to the same category of thinking that gives people a disgust for homosexuality or a belief in the righteousness of suicide bombing. I wouldn't be putting such intuitions on a pedestal.

It's true that vastly different kinds of societies (now and historically) might seem to "work" in different contexts, but it depends what we mean by functional: functional for whom? If it's just functional for the ruling class, then how sustainable is such a system in the long run, and how well does such a society actually work (given the inevitable corruption, nepotism and unhappiness of the masses that tends to occur in such systems)?

By maximum functionality or efficiency, I tend to mean here something like "works best for people as a whole". This is also referred to as utility in other philosophies. These concepts deal with ideas like objective benefit, but I'd argue that they're not moral concepts because they don't seek to appeal to any internal or external absolute law. Instead, they likely recognise that we're just apes on a rock in the middle of nowhere in a cold universe, and that our affairs are ultimately no more meaningful than those of other species; but that while we're here, we may as well be doing the best we can to make our societies as amenable to living as possible. Self-interest is, by its nature, a powerful motivator! So if you're going to propose re-introducing slavery and point to certain economic benefits of doing so, I'm going to oppose you because I think that makes us worse off as a society (transforming it into one that is more selfish, undemocratic, violent and unfair) and makes some people's lives considerably worse off – not because I think we're offending some sacred law or something.

But it's also important to keep in mind here that, up until this point, I haven't really been talking about how things should be so much as simply why things are. Most human societies throughout history have been violent, corrupt and unequal; but their rules – and, indeed, the fact that they even had any rules at all – emerged from a shared desire to live in a functional society. That's not a question of right or wrong or good or evil, any more than the hierarchy of a silverback gorilla clan is. What seems to happen is that the more resources are pooled and the more expansive the concept of society becomes, the less conflict-oriented its constituents' lives become and the more that diverse interests are able to be taken into account and codified into law. It doesn't always work that way, but it seems to be a general trajectory.

If moral law were an innate and constant thing, then those imperatives should have remained unaltered throughout the evolution of societies. History seems to indicate otherwise.

Flanker_33 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Of course most news are bad news, but I have a feeling I can't shake that good news wouldn't sell. Of course, there's the usual report about some kind of wholesome village festival or a crippled kid receiving a cool prothesis 3D printed by university students, but most news are bad because... it somehow looks more credible.

I mean, for example, the news in the USSR and other communist countries reported only about good news in their own countries, lots of steel being produced, a new satellite being launched etc, while reporting only about what's bad in capitalist countries, and people didn't believe it anymore and turned to alternative news sources, like listening to West German radios for citizens of the GDR.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:34 am

David wrote:
By maximum functionality or efficiency, I tend to mean here something like "works best for people as a whole". This is also referred to as utility in other philosophies. These concepts deal with ideas like objective benefit, but I'd argue that they're not moral concepts because they don't seek to appeal to any internal or external absolute law. ...

But it's also important to keep in mind here that, up until this point, I haven't really been talking about how things should be so much as simply why things are. ...

I'd need convincing that, sans something like a Moral Law, there is a well-defined concept of "functionality" or "objective benefit". I think that deniers of a Moral Law are (understandably) reluctant to take this denial to its logical conclusion; they still talk in the language of the Moral Law in a way that implicitly uses it as the underlying paradigm. Without a Moral Law, for example, it's hard to see how there can be any concept of what "should be". Physical Law simply tells us what "is". Who is to say what is "better" or "worse", either for the individual or society more generally, or the universe most generally? The word "Moral" may be a loaded one for some people. One could replace it here with something else, denoting an objective measure of what is better or worse.

Of course, one could take the stance that there is no Moral Law, no "functionality", no notions of better or worse, nothing like that at all... But no one seems to be willing to do that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Is it better for someone to have cancer or to not have cancer?
Is it better to be dying of starvation, or to have enough food to eat?
Is it better to hide your sexual orientation out of shame or fear of violence and imprisonment, or to be accepted by society?
Is it better to be beaten and made to work for nothing as somebody else’s property, or to live as a free citizen?

Do we need a moral law to understand any of these questions? Aren’t the answers, rather, wholly self-evident without the need for any other supporting edifices? These are, I’d argue, all fairly clear examples of objective benefit (though I would be interested to hear arguments to the contrary about any or all of them).

Let’s try to think of a counterargument: say, that the persecution of LGBT people is a smaller harm that is necessary in order to ensure the rigorous enforcement of traditional relationships, the advancement of which makes society stronger and happier. Many arguments like this were aired during the same-sex marriage debate (and held as de facto positions by many in the years when homosexuality was still pathologised and criminalised). But if you look closely, you’ll notice that almost all of these were consequentalist rather than moral arguments: opponents of same-sex marriage needed to argue that changing the law would make society worse in some objectively measurable way.

A moral argument, by comparison, would have been “same-sex marriage is wrong because homosexuality is inherently immoral”. That, to me, is what morality is all about: claims of fundamental right or wrong that need no further justification, perhaps because they are ordained by God, the universe or “the laws of nature”. To me, that’s a primitive way of thinking. All that really matters are consequences. And what is consequence but mere cause and effect? These are matters of fact, not morality.

Of course we all have different views on what should be, just as different political parties have conflicting ideas on what’s best for the economy, or how to maximise the efficiency of production, or whether invading other countries is necessary in order to prevent greater harm. But I’d argue that these can all be thought of (and, indeed, are generally discussed in terms of) consequence, not morality. If we’re talking about maximising functionality, the question is this: what, exactly, is society’s function?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Your opening questions aren't well defined without a Moral Law. Saying the answers are "wholly self-evident" is just assuming a Moral Law. To argue against the existence of a Moral Law is to claim that these questions make no sense, that they have no intrinsic meaning.

"All that really matters are consequences," you write, but whether those consequences are "good" or "bad" --- or "better" or "worse" --- constitutes a Moral Law, even if you don't call it that, even if you prefer to call it "objective benefit". The consequence of having no food for sufficiently long is starvation. What is it that makes you claim that starvation is "bad"?

"These are matters of fact, not morality," you write, but morality is not defined to be unfactual. That's precisely the question: is there an objective (i.e. factual) Moral Law? You've assumed a conclusion in your argument for that conclusion. (The Moral Law has been called other things. Perhaps we should use those other terms, because the words "moral" and "immoral" so frequently are used with specific connotations.)

The question is whether this objective Moral Law exists, not whether humanity agrees on it perfectly, knows it perfectly, or follows it perfectly. (Surely, we don't.) It is true that some sort of anthropological universality has been claimed as support for the existence of the Moral Law; whether that's a good claim and good supporting evidence is a separate question.

Last edited by K on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18   

Jump to: