Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Size matters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 pm
Post subject: Size mattersReply with quote

Watching us beaten by a very ordinary Geelong today, I was disturbed at how easily our bigger opponents were able to beat tackles and brush our players aside. I realise size isn't everything, and ultimately you have to be a good footballer before anything else, but looking at clearances today we often seemed to be outsized - in height and bulk. With mids of Treloar, Sidey, Adams, Brown and Thomas, not one of these players have the bulk to smash through packs and hurt the opposition.

If we keep picking a team of dwarfs we may as well change our theme song to "hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go".
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it that way. Geelong missed far more tackles, I think.
I saw heaps of terrible kicks from our guys, incl. from Murray, Crisp, Dunn, ...
e.g. Crisp ran around a couple and then kicked a 20m pass straight to an opponent.
Also a shocking kick-in from Howe...
Poor set shots from Wells of all people...

Last edited by K on Sun May 13, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:45 pm

It amazes me to think of how big and tall the likes of Cripps, the Bont and Fyfe are. Is it time to give Brayden Sier a run next week?

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

K wrote:
I didn't see it that way. Geelong missed far more tackles, I think.
I saw heaps of terrible kicks from our guys, incl. from Murray, Crisp, Dunn, ...
e.g. Crisp ran around a couple and then kicked a 20m pass straight to an opponent.
Also a shocking kick-in from Howe...
Poor set shots from Wells of all people...

Yup

Actually for once we didn’t look as small as we usually do against those pricks, but they have a couple of monsters in defence, nasty, sniping, ugly, huge $£$%^%%$ monsters

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 pm

But size DOES matter 😉
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:55 pm

think positive wrote:
But size DOES matter 😉

I'll take your word for that tp. Embarassed
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Rudely only mentioned the first part about size matters. The second part is that the side that is is bigger than us bribes the umpires to ignore all the scragging and jumping into our backs that they do and award free kicks against us every time we touch our opponents. This is a sure way of beating us since having the opposition 22 players against us plus the 3 umpires against us making it 25 of them against 22 of us which stacks the odds against us winning.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:39 pm

A pure midfielder in Sier should have come in for Pendlebury.

Would of allowed de Goey more time up forward if needed and maintained the size balance within our midfield group.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 pm

I think the bigger issue is our tackling technique. We just do not do a good enough job of pinning the arms when we tackle. Opposition players still manage to get handballs away and keep the ball moving their way. We get there but just don't seem to lay effective tackles anywhere near enough. But yes, we are a little undersized but David can take down Goliath by using his smarts...however, we are a low IQ team so I guess we are effed.

MONCO: Your life.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm
Post subject: Re: Size mattersReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Watching us beaten by a very ordinary Geelong today, I was disturbed at how easily our bigger opponents were able to beat tackles and brush our players aside. I realise size isn't everything, and ultimately you have to be a good footballer before anything else, but looking at clearances today we often seemed to be outsized - in height and bulk. With mids of Treloar, Sidey, Adams, Brown and Thomas, not one of these players have the bulk to smash through packs and hurt the opposition.

If we keep picking a team of dwarfs we may as well change our theme song to "hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go".

I think there is something in this, particularly in today’s contest.

But I also think the circumstances were a bit beyond our control though.
Once Pendlebury misses, it automatically means that Brown and Thomas will have more responsibility in the guts.
Degoey would have helped by spending more time in the middle but when Moore went down, it compounded that opportunity. It needed Degoey to then play forward to help us kick a score.

We did get exposed a bit in that area but that was partly due to circumstances out of the clubs control.
Anyway, at the rate we are losing players, I’m sure it won’t be long before Sier gets his chance. We need to trust the club on his readiness for the AFL.
I would also imagine the club would be a little reluctant to introduce another debutant into a team that already includes Stephenson, Appleby and Brown.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Oh. That would be very unusual.
PiesFan 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:17 am

Was it only me - but did anyone also notice the television cameras pick up the Geelong players "oiling up" their arms prior to the first bounce? I was slightly annoyed seeing this vision and even more so when you see Duckwood shrugging his shoulders and tackles slip off Dangerfield.

But then again I am not sure if this is common practice and even our players partake in this on weekly basis...
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 am

PiesFan wrote:
... "oiling up" their arms ...

It used to be very common among players in night matches in the 90s. I don't know what influenced the trends to start and then stop doing this sort of thing. A lot of things in AFL seem just a matter of fashion rather than careful planning. I'd be interested to know more about the rationale for it all...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:04 am

I wouldn’t be surprised. Selwood arm thing is a legal cheat he has perfected. Geelong have perfected the art of legal cheating, just like the hawks they seem to thrive on it. He’s not the only one, how many high calls were there yesterday against us? Heaps. The Cox one aside, how many were due to flopping cats?

Speaking of which after Philips kicked the goal (just a reminder to folks that seem to have forgotten, that goal came from a 50 metre penalty, our only goal for the first half was from a penalty, just noting as I read on one thread our kicking was a minor blimp, um no it ain’t, 5.15, scary) anyhow, a cats player walked back and deliberately smashed into one of our players, far more than just the game play bump, so since Dunn gave a free for similar, where was our free. For years the cats have been sniping off the ball and playing for frees with shitty tactics such as the slippery duck, one of the reasons I detest them so much. And then there is their $£$%^%%$ awful fan base, and it’s Geelong, not Geee long. Ugh, how I hate that chant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: