Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Cats - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Buckley's Press Conference:

How did you view that?
Quote:
"It was a dour game. A bit of cat and mouse in it. Both defensive structures were pretty strong. I thought they defended the ground really well, and put enough on the pressure on the ball to leave their backs in position, Stewart, Blicavs to be able to impact often enough. We tested that in the last half more so than the first, but we didn't use the ball really well early. Time ran out. What else do you need?"

How do you get such a great divergence from last week where last week was 19 goals to 18, with it this week being 2 goals to 1 deep in the second quarter?
Quote:
"I think clearly Geelong have a really strong defensive focus. They're the slowest ball moving side in the comp by design so they don't lose shape when the ball turns over. They're the lowest turnover aggregate team in the competition because they're relatively safe and they're happy to go long down the line. They've got some aerial guys that do a bit of damage; Dangerfield clearly, Ratugolea, Blicavs, Taylor, Crameri dangerous in the air and Menegola, so they've got that aerial advantage so they play the game that way. They were able to enforce that style on us for the most part and we made some adjustments which clearly got things back on our terms, and it was really only those two goals in a minute late in the second quarter that put the gap in the game and we just were not able to bridge that gap, didn't kick straight enough and didn't take our chances".

Feels like every week is a new Collingwood injury story?
Quote:
"Don't write about them. Every team has injuries. We've had a few recurrences so clearly Elliott today and Moore today are issues for us. Rest assured us we're not sweeping them under the carpet. We've got to find the answer to it and we want access to our best players more often. It's pretty hard when you're down a couple of rotations so it does have an impact, but the way the game was played today, it's not a high transitional game so it didn't come back to running as such. It was a bit more strategy and contest so if you're going to be down a couple a rotations, a game like that is a game you might get through. Having said that, we need Moore's aerial and I would have liked to have seen what Phillips can do with the running challenge in the last 40 minutes as well".

What about the big picture with these guys? Elliott has a history of this stuff and a couple of setbacks now for Moore, so how much do you go back and analyse the handling of it? Is it a bio-mechanical thing with these guys or have you been able to uncover anything so far?
Quote:
"It's not long-term, but it's medium term. We're not sitting on our hands not assessing whether we can do things better or what the mechanisms might be. It's slightly different for each player, but it is significant. We have looked at it. We looked at it as a group about three weeks ago and we will have another look now. We're going to keep providing the best opportunity for players, we're going to keep getting our rehab right so we can get our players back and fit and standing up to the competition. Our recent schedule is a challenge. Four teams have that four day break or four and a half day break, whatever you want to see it as. There's three games in eleven or twelve days. We know that's happening, so it's not as if it was sprung on us the week before it happened. Sometimes there's a bit of luck in it as well, but we will look after what we're in control of and leave the rest to the gods".

What's the early prognosis on both of those guys?
Quote:
"They will both need scans. Walshy will deliver the verdict for you. In the end, that will be the verdict for now. What a lot of people don't realise is that it's a bit of a moving target. We put might put 4 or 5 weeks on both of those boys for instance. If they respond well, they might come a week in, but if we want to be more prudent or we will feel like they need an extra couple of week's training it could go out to 7 or 8. In the end, you make the decisions on what's best for the player and what their signs are telling us. We need to look at that and make some shifts or understand what the mechanisms are so we can improve it".

What's the update on Tom Phillips?
Quote:
"He obviously got the head knock. I think he copped a kick to the head. I haven't seen the incident as such. He was still pretty dusty. We will give him time to recover and do the cog states and see how he comes up over the week".

How close was Pendles [to playing]?
Quote:
"We made the call on him early yesterday, so he was out from early yesterday".

Is Reid a chance next week?
Quote:
"No, I don't think so"

How's the forward structure going? Have you thought forward on how you will shape up without a couple of your big guys. Is Sam McLarty ready or?
Quote:
"We've had a preliminary think about it, but we'll let you know a little bit more during the week".

Your not blessed with [big guys]?
Quote:
"We're blessed with role players who will come out and do the job. We're not concerned about personnel as such. As I've said, time ran out for us today regardless of our personnel or regardless of who we did and didn't have. We kick a bit straighter and do marginal things better, then you know we could win that game of footy regardless of what's thrown in front of us and that's got to be our attitude and it will continue to be our attitude".

Could you talk about Scharenberg's development as a player. It was probably his best game at AFL level today. Probably early in the year, he wasn't in the selection mix considering he missed round 1. What has he done to get to the point of being a consistent AFL player?

Quote:
"They're his biggest numbers. Intercept marks and intercept possessions as well. Matty had a strong pre-season physically, but his form through the JLT was not great, like practice matches and JLT. He made a significant shift leading into those last couple of weeks and the VFL practice matches that he played. As every player does, he really clarified his thinking on his strengths, namely his aerial and aggressive positioning and then the contest. The other focus on that was to train those; to really have those clear focuses in his mind around his training form. We saw a really sharp spike from that so the credit goes to the player in getting it done. Matty came out of a bit of a funk and is playing as good of football as we've seen. As I said, you create the right environment, but the player still needs to make the decision on how he's going to go about it and he deserves everything that he's getting on field and he will only get better with more exposure".

Chris Mayne's performance; is that the sort of performance you were banking on him eventually delivering when he was given the opportunity to step up?
Quote:
"His game last week was pretty good. He's really stood up in that wing role and we've played him through the wing in the VFL for the last couple of months. His diligence and his application to role has been first class; can't question it. He took the lessons from last year's preparation and changed his prep up himself. He put a little bit more speed work in. He definitely felt the pressure and the focus last year there's no doubt through the middle of the year. I think that wore on him, but he's been able to clear himself of that and break the shackles and really attack this year with a clean slate. Once again, all credit to him. He's been really strong contributor for us".

They went without a ruckman at times today. How did you see the ruck battle?
Quote:
"I think it was relatively even. Having said that, the aerial aspects of the game were a significant difference in the side, especially for us forward of the ball. We were just not able to match their strong aerial and their ruck was dropping back whether it was Ratugolea or whether it was Smith. We won the hit outs convincingly. Clearances were pretty well square in the end. Grundy's improving his aerial around the ground, there's no doubt, but I think across the board Geelong did that in that part of the game did better than we did".

There's been talk that Grundy has been carrying a groin injury. Is that correct?
Quote:
"Not that I know of".

Should Pendlebury be right to play against St Kilda?
Quote:
"Yeah we think so".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-05-13/buckley-reflects-on-loss-to-cats

Thanks for this, Jezza. Interesting to read Buckley's thoughts on Mayne. Sounds like we might be debuting someone next week, reading between the lines of his response to the McLarty question.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 pm

slangman wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Still to be convinced Cox is a lock for our best 22 moving forward..

I’m convinced that Cox isn’t the answer. He is a VFL quality player and at his age, I can’t see him doing anything more than he already is.

McLarty needs to be given an opportunity soon. There is more potential/future with him than with Cox.

Cox looks better when there is another tall option to go to, we are missing Reid a lot, and Darcy was underwhelming.

Cox goes alright in the ruck as well, which we might need if Grundy is forced out with his niggle

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 pm

sadly, Cox is still our best option. The thing that no one here is talking about is that the guy doesn't have the tank to play 4 quarters. Even in his best games this season, he has been largely ineffective in the second half. And i mean like doesn't even seem to be on the ground type of ineffective.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 am

E wrote:
sadly, Cox is still our best option. The thing that no one here is talking about is that the guy doesn't have the tank to play 4 quarters. Even in his best games this season, he has been largely ineffective in the second half. And i mean like doesn't even seem to be on the ground type of ineffective.

I have noticed this, Though his two towering marks vs Brisbane were taken in the last quarter, and he has put on a good chase in the second half both this week and last.

He tends to relieve Grundy in ruck in the third quarter, and I wonder if that puts him off his stride. He was completely skinned alive by the umpires vs the Cats, and should have received several free kicks. If he’d got those he’d have kicked a few. I wanted him positioned deep forward with WElls on Sunday when the game had to be won, but he seemed to spend a lot of time up the ground.

I still see it coming together for him, slowly, and I think he’ll be a power soon. If he manages to get it down to a tee, he’ll be nearly unstoppable.

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:02 am

In Doha, Qatar atm, haven't seen the game but saw the result! Judging by comments here i see the sky has fallen again!
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 am

Not sure about the game's effect, MD, but when you see the injury list, you may wish to extend your stay in Doha for another 12 weeks (the expected rehab period). Or is Doha the name of our rehabilitation 'expert'?
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

I have noticed this, Though his two towering marks vs Brisbane were taken in the last quarter, and he has put on a good chase in the second half both this week and last.

He tends to relieve Grundy in ruck in the third quarter, and I wonder if that puts him off his stride. He was completely skinned alive by the umpires vs the Cats, and should have received several free kicks. If he’d got those he’d have kicked a few. I wanted him positioned deep forward with WElls on Sunday when the game had to be won, but he seemed to spend a lot of time up the ground.

I still see it coming together for him, slowly, and I think he’ll be a power soon. If he manages to get it down to a tee, he’ll be nearly unstoppable.

oh my god!! If the Dangerfield soft free kick was there, then exactly 10 seconds later it just HAD to be a free to Cox. That was the most blatant case of two match turning decisions.

The cats really still do get the benefit of every doubt. Hawthorn and Geelong are very much the AFL darlings and umpire bias (real or implied) are very powerful forces in their favor.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

I haven't looked at the numbers on the stat sheet, but I reckon Grundy and Cox stayed longer on the ground than other games because of the injury to Moore. If you're rotations down it's a big ask to expect those players to perform just as well at the end of the game than at the start of the game. The funny thing was Grundy seemed to be going better in the last quarter than the first, but that's a bit of a freakish thing with Grundy who seems to thrive better the longer time he spends on the ground.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:11 pm

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

oh my god!! If the Dangerfield soft free kick was there, then exactly 10 seconds later it just HAD to be a free to Cox. That was the most blatant case of two match turning decisions.

The cats really still do get the benefit of every doubt. Hawthorn and Geelong are very much the AFL darlings and umpire bias (real or implied) are very powerful forces in their favor.

I am pretty sceptical about claims of umpire bias, but yes, the inconsistency in those two decisions looked glaring. I could not judge the Dangerfield one as it was too far away and tv didn’t even bother to replay it, but it certainly changed the complexion of the match. Howe’s free given away there and his bowler of a kick out three minutes later really put the space in it, sadly.

The Cox free was definitely there as the replay showed, as was the amazing decision not to pay Grundy a free when he tried to mark on the wing a minute later and was cannoned into by a Cats player who had no eye for the ball. There were multiple frees of the same nature not granted to Cox. It’s as though the AFL considers his height an unfair advantage and allows defenders additional leeway to infringe.

Collingwood really should issue a please explain to the AFL for the umpiring in that game. In a low scoring match, it almost made the difference.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

I am pretty sceptical about claims of umpire bias, but yes, the inconsistency in those two decisions looked glaring. I could not judge the Dangerfield one as it was too far away and tv didn’t even bother to replay it, but it certainly changed the complexion of the match. Howe’s free given away there and his bowler of a kick out three minutes later really put the space in it, sadly.

The Cox free was definitely there as the replay showed, as was the amazing decision not to pay Grundy a free when he tried to mark on the wing a minute later and was cannoned into by a Cats player who had no eye for the ball. There were multiple frees of the same nature not granted to Cox. It’s as though the AFL considers his height an unfair advantage and allows defenders additional leeway to infringe.

Collingwood really should issue a please explain to the AFL for the umpiring in that game. In a low scoring match, it almost made the difference.

I watched the game again and I noticed most of the doggy decisions were by one umpire, Nicholls. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the other two umpires now. Nicholls should never umpire another Collingwood AFL game in my opinion. He was even apologising to Taylor for the free kick he gave away to Grundy in the last quarter. It was as though he was saying to Taylor that the free he awarded against him was so obvious he couldn't overlook it like he had the previous half a dozen frees Taylor should have had awarded against him prior to that. Is he married to Taylor's sister? That's the impression I had.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

dont you think its odd that there was no replay of that free shown? they show replays of everything. i also found it odd the way they downplay it when a geelong player elbows someone in the head. If that were collingwood you can imagine Lingy shouting down the Mike "he's gone!! the afl will definitely suspend him for that". Instead, Brian taylors comment is "ahh, er, probably not enough force right, nothing to see here."

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:31 pm

think positive wrote:
Very well said Jezza, and thanks for the coaches words above, as always, much appreciated. Cheers, I’ll see you in a month! Look out for junior, She will be there!

Cheers Jo; and will do. Thanks for the appreciation.

All the best with your travels.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

I watched the game again and I noticed most of the doggy decisions were by one umpire, Nicholls. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the other two umpires now. Nicholls should never umpire another Collingwood AFL game in my opinion. He was even apologising to Taylor for the free kick he gave away to Grundy in the last quarter. It was as though he was saying to Taylor that the free he awarded against him was so obvious he couldn't overlook it like he had the previous half a dozen frees Taylor should have had awarded against him prior to that. Is he married to Taylor's sister? That's the impression I had.

Correct. Nicholls ( # 15 ) Disgraceful bias. At the ground, I saw him call play on twice when one of the other umps paid a Collingwood free.
Bad umpiring is seriously impacting games. We are in an era of equalisation and results are closer than ever and then we have to put up with the rubbish that Nicholls dished up.
If Clarkson can go public with his concerns, then I don’t see why shouldn’t put a shot across the bows either.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:47 pm

ah yes, the bald prick, he had geeelong hoops on for sure, i reckon he was sniffing dangers undies, and god knows what with the $£$%^%%$ duck boy
Someone you know 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 pm

I don't usually like to talk about umpiring, (unless of course it's in the spur of the moment and I might yell where I thought the umpire had pulled a decision from and what he might like to use to replace it!) but every once in a while the decisions are so baffling and one sided they do affect the outcome of the game. This week was one example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: