Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Cats - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Injuries are part of footy but looking at that game, Pendlebury was the last player we wanted to miss. The game was crying out for polish and composure and he would have at least made the game closer.

I actually thought Steele was Pendlebury-like at times today.
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Another thing that nobody has mentioned before.It was 9 goals to 5 in the end.What a pathetic spectacle.No wonder the A.F.L is in trouble.But will they ever have the guts to do anything about it?

Well, we have a whole thread with that sort of discussion (though, in true Nickster fashion, the thread title is not entirely helpful).

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83844
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:52 pm

masoncox wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
The real concern is that the Cats pulled apart our game style and they did it by pressuring right up to the ball carrier as opposed to holding their areas.
Thats why there were so many smothers and turnovers.

Injuries are part of footy but looking at that game, Pendlebury was the last player we wanted to miss. The game was crying out for polish and composure and he would have at least made the game closer.

The Cats defence was brilliant. They didnt allow any deep entries and constantly forced us wide going forward.

Thought Appleby bounced back well too. If he keeps working hard, the kid has a future.

Yep picked our game plan apart.
No plan B

Exactly. And the cats didnt play well either, how many goals were kicked in the first half? I said on here three weeks ago what happens when other teams work out they need to close in and prevent the manic hand passing? We have to kick and it all goes to shit. How many grubber kicks today that scraped the grass all the way? Adams kicks ou5 to the right wing, 2 Magpies about 20 metres apart, 1 cat on each, and he kicks between them. Mayne has the ball and a full metre on his player and hand passes to Varcoe who has a player feeling him up already. I still cant believ3 it was only 21 points, it felt like a demolition at times, and I actually can fault the effort at times, some players looked tired. Im not pissed because we lost, Im pissed because we could have, should have, won. Our backline is courageous, hard working, but as someone says, when Howe stands out we get done, just as James Clement used to say! Pendles missed desperately in the centre, Reid missed all over, and ok, maybe Faz doesnt offer enough defensively but we needed his class offensively. And knock him all you want but Blair in there would have offered momentum when so many looked stationary. And grunt and effort and leadership. The fact that so many think Mayne was a shining light when really he just played better than he usually does, and plenty around him were crap, is a real worry.10 min to go we were still in it, but no one would take the game on. We need an X factor in the forward line. Cox is not big bodied enough. I want to see this Sier guy everyone is talkin* about. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Treloar had what 34 touches, but whilst they wer3 not bad touches, they didnt shine either. And that miss. FMD, so many crap misses.

I think there is something in the Anzac Day thing, and for gods sake take the AFL to task for umpir3 15 s performance, at one stage he wanted play on and the other umpire called it for us, he may as well have been wearing hoops. Unbloodybelievable!

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm

They choked us out of our game plan. Poor conversion didn't allow us to apply any scoreboard pressure to break the game open.
Fought back well but Geelong could have put us out of commission early on in the 1st quarter with their own costly misses. We were completely outplayed in the clearances in the 1st qtr. Really missed Pendles presence and class. Might have been the difference today.

For those critical of our coaching and where was the plan B, it'd worthwhile watching the replay and listen to Hodgey's commentary. In essence he said stick to our game plan. He thought we were still right in it. Until the misses, we took it right up to them...
Geelong however don't give you many second chances. And they played to win and locked the game down to what was effectively an ugly contest. That's why the fans push back against that style of game. It's exciting in a close match in the last few minutes but it's a bloody horrible style of football.
Tough call, do you want 4 points or aesthetics?... It'd be great to have both.

Injury to Phillips shows how important he's been to the flow of our game and as one of our top 10 players.
I reckon Grundy has been going at 75% because of a niggle. Reckon he only just made it through the 3 games in 11 days. I reckon he'll be keen to get through to then bye round and rest a battle weary body.

Pleased with Crisp, just battled all day. He and Shaz are really starting to gel.
Mayne is improving. Gees he's been stitched up a few times this week and last being put under the pump by teammates from some horrible disposal. Played a sound game.
Apples looks the goods for one so young.

Pretty frustrating game to watch overall and far from the free flowing game of last week. That's what a strong opposition defensive game plan can do.

About where I thought we are, and today against quality opposition so not panicking, has been plenty to like over the past 6 weeks. Move on and get stuck into the Saints next week.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Damien wrote:
Utterly disgusting comments in this thread.

I think there were roughly 74 comments before yours (presumably not all expressing exactly the same view). Which ones did you find utterly disgusting?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The real concern is that the Cats pulled apart our game style and they did it by pressuring right up to the ball carrier as opposed to holding their areas.

The Cats defence was brilliant. They didnt allow any deep entries and constantly forced us wide going forward.

Thought Appleby bounced back well too. If he keeps working hard, the kid has a future.

Contrary to many here, I likewise thought that Geelong were actually very good tonight, due to their defensive structures which strangled us from early on. Their pressure on the ball carrier really smashed our ball movement. We couldn't get our effective handballing chains in motion at all. Our delivery quality was poor, so we were not able to go into F50 with any quality entries.
Geelong has apparently handed to the competition a blueprint as to how to stop us. Let us hope that we analyse this game and come up with some countermeasures.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Like how to kick straight, or long, or accurately would help
Pep 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:36 pm

We lost, a very frustrating loss, the cats weren't that great so they were there for the taking, but injuries and our skills let us down, its clear that our back line and midfield works well most of the time, but going forward lets us down all the time, this draft we need to recruit the biggest, athletic and best forward we can we need a Ratugolea type.

Moore has done another hammy as has elliot... i think we have the stock to sneak into the 8, only if we can convert our inside 50's and have our stars back in, the cats only beat us because they had better forward options. Fas has to come back in for mine.

Some really negative comments about our team and bucks, which is the norm these days, i thought our game plan worked but we didn't convert our chances, which was why it was a frustrating lose.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Losing 2 guys never helps especially when you've had 4 games in 19 days we couldn't run out the game in any productive manner
But the 2 most concerning things were our poor field kicking and disposal in general and our inability to kick goals.
I can think of at least 20 butchered balls that were easy passes under no pressure and should be hit every time by a AFL footballer
Our goal kicking looked horrible again today. We missed at least 6 goals that should have been kicked and then you can add another 4 that are 50/50 chances we didn't take
We've skated by this year with Stephenson JDG Thomas kicking a bag each then the midfield adding another few to get us over the line. Today we didn't have that so we got beaten
That's we're the game was lost poor disposal and goal kicking

Lastly I thought both Wells and Varcoe were ordinary today. With the skipper out we needed the experienced players to step up and add something to the leadership but they didn't do anything. Hopefully Pendles is back next week and he can resume the leadership role which was so costly today
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Losing 2 guys never helps especially when you've had 4 games in 19 days we couldn't run out the game in any productive manner
But the 2 most concerning things were our poor field kicking and disposal in general and our inability to kick goals.
I can think of at least 20 butchered balls that were easy passes under no pressure and should be hit every time by a AFL footballer
Our goal kicking looked horrible again today. We missed at least 6 goals that should have been kicked and then you can add another 4 that are 50/50 chances we didn't take
We've skated by this year with Stephenson JDG Thomas kicking a bag each then the midfield adding another few to get us over the line. Today we didn't have that so we got beaten
That's we're the game was lost poor disposal and goal kicking

Lastly I thought both Wells and Varcoe were ordinary today. With the skipper out we needed the experienced players to step up and add something to the leadership but they didn't do anything. Hopefully Pendles is back next week and he can resume the leadership role which was so costly today

Varcoe has had 14 tackles for the year. Adams laid 12 alone today.

Varcoe has been okay this season but for all the talk of his pressure game he lays precious few tackles or gain shots on goal when played forward.

Cox another who unless he marks the ball offers little else besides giving Grundy a chop out.

Only 3 marks today so I hope we get a look at McLarty next week alongside him.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Nothing wrong with calling out today's performance for what it was: regressive, and return to what we've come to expect from the last 5 years. Sure the effort was there but not the reward. We were all over the shop, missing targets and handballing ourselves into a frenzy only to turn it over and watch it come sailing back the other way. Same old same old. We kicked five goals in a game of football. Not good enough. I expect more and I demand more from my team. If we're serious about trying to achieve success this year then we need to do better than that.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 pm

masoncox wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Yep picked our game plan apart.
No plan B

Its very hard to have any alternatives / options available when you are two down shortly after half time.
Every time you lose a game of footy, it isnt always because you dont have a plan B. Believe it or not, sometimes you lose because the opposition has better personal
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:37 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Today was a huge step backwards. Our forward line was completely dysfunctional and offered SFA. Our skills were were nothing short of a disgrace often resulting in turnover after turnover. There's no excuse for not hitting targets when you're under no pressure, and you're not going to win games of football by trying to handball yourself to victory. All of what we achieved the past few weeks was undone by scrappy ineffective football.

The cats were no great shakes either, if I was a cat fan id be pretty disgusted with that effort by them, only had Hawkins out, compared to our injury ravaged list, not to mention being two guys down in rotations in the second half. plus they had two days extra rest. they were nothing to rave about.

You need to educate yourself with the Geelong list.

They had just as many out prior to the first bounce.

Scott and Geelong clearly came with a plan to stifle our forward transition and it worked beautifully for them in the first half and set up the win.

Off the top - Hawkins, Menzel, Henderson, Guthrie, S Selwood , Parfitt ( rising star nomination )
What was disconcerting is that the Cats no names played pretty well too.
They have traded plenty in for a flag, so thats their pass mark, anything less is a fail. We can only hope.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 pm

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I actually thought Steele was Pendlebury-like at times today.

The way they structured up in the back half was very Hawthorn like. Well drilled and well disciplined.
The best way to get through those set ups is with pin point kicking to advantage. We needed two Pendlebury - like players or more ( maybe a FIT Wells ) but we really only had one ( Sidey, as you said )
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 pm

SwansWay wrote:
What did everyone make of Adams and Thomas today?

Who?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: