Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Beast mode midfield

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 am
Post subject: Beast mode midfieldReply with quote

Everyone knows the importance of having big-bodied mids in stoppage situations, especially for centre square clearances. Centre clearances are crucial in the modern game, and an advantage in this part of the game can give us that vital edge we need.

We have 3 beast mids in JDG, Wills and Sier, that I'd love to see start in the centre square together with Grundy as the ruckman-cum-4th beast mid.
It may not work, it may be fanciful thinking, but let's just do it if only as an experiment in one game at least to see the results.

Remember, these guys are not just big-bodied..they are great in traffic, can stand up in tackles and dish out handballs, tackle with ferocity, and can boot the ball a mile. They are proper footballers. Perfect for stoppages, and getting that vital centre clearance.

Circumstances contrived to have these 3 together for the VFL match against Northern Blues, and we ended up winning by 22 goals and scoring 200 points. Coincidence?

Do it Pies. Let's go into Beast mode!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am
Post subject: Re: Beast mode midfieldReply with quote

bally12 wrote:
Everyone knows the importance of having big-bodied mids in stoppage situations, especially for centre square clearances. Centre clearances are crucial in the modern game, and an advantage in this part of the game can give us that vital edge we need.

We have 3 beast mids in JDG, Wills and Sier, that I'd love to see start in the centre square together with Grundy as the ruckman-cum-4th beast mid.
It may not work, it may be fanciful thinking, but let's just do it if only as an experiment in one game at least to see the results.

Remember, these guys are not just big-bodied..they are great in traffic, can stand up in tackles and dish out handballs, tackle with ferocity, and can boot the ball a mile. They are proper footballers. Perfect for stoppages, and getting that vital centre clearance.

Circumstances contrived to have these 3 together for the VFL match against Northern Blues, and we ended up winning by 22 goals and scoring 200 points. Coincidence?

Do it Pies. Let's go into Beast mode!

Let’s bring back Luke Shackleton and make it a “quadrella”

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ an interesting idea. I’d like to see the results of the Wills/Sier application of this theory in the VFL over the last few weeks. We have been going fairly well in the VFL, Is this why ?
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 am

Thomas, Pendles, Sidey, De Goey and Treloar are fairly elite in that center square. not sure why you would bring in players who arent as good just because they are big??
themonk 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 am

E wrote:
Thomas, Pendles, Sidey, De Goey and Treloar are fairly elite in that center square. not sure why you would bring in players who arent as good just because they are big??

+1

Wills (6 games) & Sier (0 games) to replace our current mids?

WTF!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 am

I think it’s a great idea. That’s why we have practice games.
You still have to earn the right, not just step on the scales and be gifted a spot.

Having said that, it would be good to see ( either one of ) Wills or Sier get a game some time soon.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 am

Wills and Sier provide us with good options in the midfield (and Maynard is another), but first they have to prove their fitness and ability to see out games before they can be promoted to the senior side. People were so dismissive of the Brisbane team before the game. I think people now understand that when we lose a player as good as Pendles during a game we are exposed by that lack of bullocking needed to contest around the ball. Richmond show everybody how to do it. Wills and Sier will help in that department but in my view Greenwood is ahead of both. Also someone needs to make way for Wells. I have it in the following order:
Wells > Greenwood > Sier > Wills
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:16 am

Watching the brief VFL high lights Sier at a stoppage shot out a handball that Pendlebury be proud to execute —it resulted in a goal

Then another shot of the big fella slotting a goal from a fair way out

He in particular ain’t no big body with average skills IMO—he has skills

Same token tho do not change side just for change sake —he will get in thru his hard work and opportunity

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:37 pm
Post subject: Re: Beast mode midfieldReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Let’s bring back Luke Shackleton and make it a “quadrella”

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is why we need a like button.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Get Oliver Wines signature. Cool
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:13 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Watching the brief VFL high lights Sier at a stoppage shot out a handball that Pendlebury be proud to execute —it resulted in a goal

Same token tho do not change side just for change sake —he will get in thru his hard work and opportunity

Sier had a hand in at least 6 goals vs. the Bombers. It's his defensive side that will raise questions. But, I'm keen to see what he can do on a bigger ground at the elite level. Don't expect to see him show any flair, his not that type of player. What he does do well though is get his hands free to dish handballs and he is clean as you'll see in close. He's not much of a kicker.

E 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

Sier had a hand in at least 6 goals vs. the Bombers. It's his defensive side that will raise questions. But, I'm keen to see what he can do on a bigger ground at the elite level. Don't expect to see him show any flair, his not that type of player. What he does do well though is get his hands free to dish handballs and he is clean as you'll see in close. He's not much of a kicker.

He is developing nicely. He has huge upside. He would be a great asset. Imagine if he could be as good as DeGoey. Two bulls!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

A different landscape with Wills and Sier in as much as “flavour of month” is Brayden

Rupert in his brief AFL stint (was it late 2016 ❓) where 20 disposals and 8 tackle average had us heralding him as the big body we were after

They are both playing but I imagine Brayden is performing the better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: