Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Cats - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Replace Mayne with fasolo and we’re gwtting closer...

With the Pendles situation still a chance. Pretty sure he’ll be right though.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Pendles has amazing recuperative powers so he'll be right. I would have preferred a bit more height on the backline but otherwise it's a good side which gives us the best possible chance of knocking off Geelong. Blair and Crocker have nothing to be ashamed of for being dropped. They both did their job last week.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Fri May 11, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Plenty on here reckon Blair has been better than Mayne. It’s a tough one but I’m really confident that our selection committee are doing a good job in the match ups, determining who are the best 22 from week to week. Still woulda liked to see Faz in there though. Hope he comes out in the VFL and has a blinder and continues to smash the door down.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 pm

One of Crocker or Mayne had to be omitted.

Was surprised they both played last week tbh.

Would have much preferred Fasolo in also at the expense of Mayne.

People say Blair is playing okay and that might be true but if you cast your mind back to 2010 the likes of O'Bree and Lockyer were going alright also but they just didn't feel all the damaging with the ball in hand.

Enter Blair who just felt more dynamic and impactful with his disposals.

Fast forward to now and that's the way I see it when comparing the likes of Blair to in this instance young Brown and potentially the likes of Daicos or Sier also.

We just have better options available and they should be used.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Our biggest concern this week is our rebound from defence. It's been dropping off with the loss of Maynard, Aish and Langdon. Appleby gives us little here.

Adams is usually a hindrance to this as well, need to see him either playing a strong contested ball and clearance game or spreading more than we've ever seen from him.

Brown does help, but adding Langdon, Maynard and Greenwood would help more.

Fatigue has also had a part to play, so hopefully that's behind us.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Agree with the observation made by Inkling that we are lacking in rebound power now from defence due to the absence of Langdon and Maynard. Both these players are guns, in opposition to the negativity of some here displayed to these two guys. Whatever errors they inevitably make under extreme pressure, their rebound energy is massive, and is precisely what we have been lacking against Brisbane and also against Richmond. Maynard is a bull, and Langdon's deceptively slow and graceful interception and anticipation is really a massive loss.
I don't agree with our selections for this game. While i understand the rather rigid "logic" that has underpinned them ( Brown is a like for like swap for Blair, and Wells comes in to bolster the midfield, while Crocker has been somewhat ordinary of late), i don't agree with the decision to keep Mayne and get rid of Blair. I would have kept Blair, because I thought he impacted the game more than Mayne last week, and I would have replaced Mayne with Faz.
I think we should have played Faz, because with Wells playing, and his precision delivery, Faz could perhaps bring an X factor and chaos element into our forward set up. Faz reminds me of a Menzel. We are glad Menzel is out. Geelong supporters might well be happy that Faz has once again been overlooked.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Agree with the observation made by Inkling that we are lacking in rebound power now from defence due to the absence of Langdon and Maynard. Both these players are guns, in opposition to the negativity of some here displayed to these two guys. Whatever errors they inevitably make under extreme pressure, their rebound energy is massive, and is precisely what we have been lacking against Brisbane and also against Richmond. Maynard is a bull, and Langdon's deceptively slow and graceful interception and anticipation is really a massive loss.
I don't agree with our selections for this game. While i understand the rather rigid "logic" that has underpinned them ( Brown is a like for like swap for Blair, and Wells comes in to bolster the midfield, while Crocker has been somewhat ordinary of late), i don't agree with the decision to keep Mayne and get rid of Blair. I would have kept Blair, because I thought he impacted the game more than Mayne last week, and I would have replaced Mayne with Faz.
I think we should have played Faz, because with Wells playing, and his precision delivery, Faz could perhaps bring an X factor and chaos element into our forward set up. Faz reminds me of a Menzel. We are glad Menzel is out. Geelong supporters might well be happy that Faz has once again been overlooked.

Good analysis mate. You make some very pertinent points. It also highlights that having selection dilemmas is a good place for us to be in. Fingers crossed it’s only going to get harder in the next month.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Just tuned into the game Swans vs Hawthorn and saw that Ben Rourke, (who??) kicked 7 goals.
WTF,
The game has totally changed, and we need to get our heads around this. the old algorthms are now obsolete. It is not simply the qualities of any individual player.
It is what any individual player can bring to the team combination.
It is, whatever individual attributes of strength any player has, how can these enhance the team structure?
That is why it is no longer just "consistent stars", who just keep starring game after game, now it is role players, who slot in with just the necessary attributes. to win the game.
It means that team selection becomes absolutely critical

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Ronke. 7.0

What the actual F?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Our biggest concern this week is our rebound from defence. It's been dropping off with the loss of Maynard, Aish and Langdon. Appleby gives us little here.

Adams is usually a hindrance to this as well, need to see him either playing a strong contested ball and clearance game or spreading more than we've ever seen from him.

Brown does help, but adding Langdon, Maynard and Greenwood would help more.

Fatigue has also had a part to play, so hopefully that's behind us.

Inky Langdon adds nothing to our rebound game. He averaged less than 15m a disposal (after deduction for kick ins). Mayanrd hasn't been playing a lot back this season so he's impact on that is marginal at best.
Our rebound has been led by Murray Scharenberg Crisp Phillips Sidey Treloar Pendles Howe and Dunn. Some with running some with great kicks on the switch some with some good targets hit down the guts.
Murray has been off a bit last 2 weeks thinking his body wasn't ready for 3 games in 12 days. Appleby had a ordinary game last week but he is worth preserving with for at least a couple weeks.
Wells will add some real dash and silk to our ball movement and especially if we use him as the last kick going inside our attacking 50.
I reckon we would have had a light week on the track again. They don't need to be bashing players after that schedule so hopefully we are fresh and ready to rumble.
The bench has loads of run in it and I think that's how we will try to hurt the cats with quick ball movement and loads of pressure around the ball. Squeeze the life out of them and make there forward 50 entries rushed giving Howe Scharenberg & Dunn the chance to intercept.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Inky Langdon adds nothing to our rebound game. He averaged less than 15m a disposal (after deduction for kick ins). Mayanrd hasn't been playing a lot back this season so he's impact on that is marginal at best.
Our rebound has been led by Murray Scharenberg Crisp Phillips Sidey Treloar Pendles Howe and Dunn. Some with running some with great kicks on the switch some with some gushed giving Howe Scharenberg & Dunn the chance to intercept.

Disagree with this summation. Langdon is a real gem. He anticipates the play brilliantly and as a result goes to the contest exactly when he is needed. Langdon's marks and spoils have been pivotal in our defensive structures.

E 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:35 am

Damien wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Replace Mayne with fasolo and we’re gwtting closer...

With the Pendles situation still a chance. Pretty sure he’ll be right though.

if Pendles doesn't get up, its likely you'll see Blair replace him.

E 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:39 am

gurugeoff wrote:
E wrote:
And just because you were critical of him last year (i was too), it doesn't make you wrong if you acknowledge his strong performances the last two weeks.

i don't think there was much discussion re Blair at all, until E started going overboard about career best form, presumably to start another discussion.

In the last two weeks we have lost to Richmond by 7 goals, and could barely beat the bottom side, so this 'career best form' isn't really helping at the score board.

In a year where most other small forwards have been kicking bags of five goals, Jarryd's lack of X factor looks as limited as ever to me. sorry.

pretty sure that if Blair wasn't in the side, your comments would have been:

In the last two weeks we have lost to Richmond by 7 goals, and couldn't even beat the second bottom side (let's not ever let Carlton off the hook here), so we could really have used a true professional athlete like Blair in the side!!!"

E 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:45 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
With Langdon and Maynard still unavailable, and assuming that Pendles plays, I reckon we could go into this game with possibly just the one change.

Out: Mayne

In: Wells

I'd really love Sier to get a game, but I suspect Blair did enough to retain his spot.

I would also replace one of Crocker/Blair with Fas.

one could argue that Crocker and Faz are competing for the same spot, but Blair is in career form, is finally being used properly so that his true talent can shine through (it appears De Goey, WHE AND STEPHENSON ARE NOW PLAYING THE ROLE THAT BLAIR WAS PREVIOUSLY BEING ASKED TO PLAY AND THEY ARE INFIINITELY MORE CAPABLE FO DOIGN THAT).

People forget that Blair is a premiership caliber player.

4 things Eric:

1. Stop shouting
2. Blair in “career best form” ?
3. Blair and talent in the same sentence &
4. Premiership calibre ...... (was 8 years ago)

All Blair has done in the pat 2 weeks is avoid several ” Blairisms”. Oh yeah and hasn’t kicked a goal either!

Hi Incapacitated. in response i apologize for the all caps. accidental

As for your Blair noise, my response is Blah diddy Blah Blah!!! By any measure, Blair has been terrific these past couple of weeks. He is a Collingwood premiership player and its a disgrace how people on this site now need to justify the vitriol they spewed the past couple of years by diminishing his accomplishments this season after we all thought he was finished as a viable player.

He may ultimately fail to make our best 22, but i for one am super happy for the way the guy has come back better than ever!!

If our entire team worked as hard and played as courageously and selflessly as Blair obviously does, we would win the premiership in a canter!

And just because you were critical of him last year (i was too), it doesn't make you wrong if you acknowledge his strong performances the last two weeks.

I called out Blair a couple of years ago for being in poor form because he was poor. Why shouldn't we call a spade a spade if it's a spade. He's been terrific the last couple of weeks as you say and deserves to keep his spot. He's a great club man and I'm happy for him that's he's in the senior side but let's not go overboard about him. He was 21st or 22nd man in the 2010 premiership team and kept out some pretty good players to make it into that side but let's not exaggerate his importance to that team.

I also called him out for being poor over the past few years, but like you, I saw two good games from him this year (and admired only his ability to stay ready when he has probably been told not to expect too many games this year - for all the reasons you state in your email. The reason for my rants was merely to try to cut off the haters who tried to ignore the fact that he went ok the past couple of weeks because they spent so much time bagging Blair (and Mayne for that matter), that they wont even acknowledge the obviousness of the truth.

its just sad that guys like Blair, who do EVERYTHING right get lambasted by a bunch of people on this site for no other reason than it supports an argument from a year ago. As I said to Incapacitated, you can be right about Blair being not good enough and yet still compliment him for his game the past two weeks AND his work ethic in being ready to succeed.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 am

E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
With Langdon and Maynard still unavailable, and assuming that Pendles plays, I reckon we could go into this game with possibly just the one change.

Out: Mayne

In: Wells

I'd really love Sier to get a game, but I suspect Blair did enough to retain his spot.

I would also replace one of Crocker/Blair with Fas.

one could argue that Crocker and Faz are competing for the same spot, but Blair is in career form, is finally being used properly so that his true talent can shine through (it appears De Goey, WHE AND STEPHENSON ARE NOW PLAYING THE ROLE THAT BLAIR WAS PREVIOUSLY BEING ASKED TO PLAY AND THEY ARE INFIINITELY MORE CAPABLE FO DOIGN THAT).

People forget that Blair is a premiership caliber player.

4 things Eric:

1. Stop shouting
2. Blair in “career best form” ?
3. Blair and talent in the same sentence &
4. Premiership calibre ...... (was 8 years ago)

All Blair has done in the pat 2 weeks is avoid several ” Blairisms”. Oh yeah and hasn’t kicked a goal either!

Hi Incapacitated. in response i apologize for the all caps. accidental

As for your Blair noise, my response is Blah diddy Blah Blah!!! By any measure, Blair has been terrific these past couple of weeks. He is a Collingwood premiership player and its a disgrace how people on this site now need to justify the vitriol they spewed the past couple of years by diminishing his accomplishments this season after we all thought he was finished as a viable player.

He may ultimately fail to make our best 22, but i for one am super happy for the way the guy has come back better than ever!!

If our entire team worked as hard and played as courageously and selflessly as Blair obviously does, we would win the premiership in a canter!

Eric. Blair’s Accomplishments this season! 2 standard meat and potato matches shouldn’t be manipulated into caviar! And again, most critics on Nick’s aren’t negative about Blair’s premiership contribution, it’s his 2013-2017 sub par performances. Even the great Leigh Matthews only hung on for 5 years past our 1990 glory and Blair has survived 8!

Incapacitated, if you need to put down Blair to help you sleep at night, who am i to stop you ..... I for one am glad he was in our 22 for the past couple of weeks. We likely lose the Brisbane game without him.

I also really applaud his response to being told he would not likely get another game this season. I wonder if you would work that hard in the face of adversity. That was irony by the way, since we all know the answer to that. Afterall, Blair does, and you just knock....

Oh bugger it Eric, I can’t hold back any longer

“BLAIR OMITTED”! Probably kills you’re sycophantic love in opinionations.

Ps: by the way your incorrect application of the word “ironic” is up there with a certain pint sized Canadian singer in 1995”.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: