Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:
My family and I finally got to a game to see it live and had a great time. Looking through your discussions I think we're all on the money. DeGoey was great Moore underdone, Mayne showed something, Cox was fab.
One thing on Blair - I like him and he showed why he is always in the mix every other week. I think one of the reasons he gets a bad wrap is because he make leads in the forward 50 that we want someone with 6 or 7 inches more to make. I could be wrong, but I think if the inside 50 is congested he should be standing 40 out with his back to the kicker looking for the crumb or defensive play - otherwise he is leading into precious space that should be open for someone taller. I expect its a coaching strategy that might be corrected but he is just too easy to spoil in that situation. Otherwise it was a fabulous game for Blairy, a hard workman like effort.

Many on this site have been saying this for years; he's leading when he should be front-n-centre.

I guess we will never know if its a coaching directive or not, but its happened consistently for several years

As a high half forward, some of Blair’s role is to open up space behind him.
Obviously that has the appearance of him being on the lead when really it’s about marking targets leading into the space behind him ( unless Blair is way out in front as a genuine option )
Plenty can go wrong in that drill. Anything from the player with the ball not using it well, to the deeper forwards not making position behind Blair.
It’s easy to blame Blair for leading up the ground in that situation but there is every chance other players haven’t played their part in that forward fifty entry ...... and that’s for the line coaches to dissect.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 am

Many on this site have been saying this for years; he's leading when he should be front-n-centre.

I guess we will never know if its a coaching directive or not, but its happened consistently for several years

Yes I can see how its easily spotted. Other than that one trait he was fab, lifted when we needed it and kept a level head.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 am

glasseyevfx wrote:
My family and I finally got to a game to see it live and had a great time. Looking through your discussions I think we're all on the money. DeGoey was great Moore underdone, Mayne showed something, Cox was fab.
One thing on Blair - I like him and he showed why he is always in the mix every other week. I think one of the reasons he gets a bad wrap is because he make leads in the forward 50 that we want someone with 6 or 7 inches more to make. I could be wrong, but I think if the inside 50 is congested he should be standing 40 out with his back to the kicker looking for the crumb or defensive play - otherwise he is leading into precious space that should be open for someone taller. I expect its a coaching strategy that might be corrected but he is just too easy to spoil in that situation. Otherwise it was a fabulous game for Blairy, a hard workman like effort.

The way I see it and I could be wrong, is we have 3 crumbers on our list who are Varcoe, Kirby and Daicos. Crumbers are less now in the game than in previous years because of the Richmond style of moving the ball quickly from half back into attack. Crumbers now don't get the time to scrum the ball out of packs and kick goals. That why Eddie Betts is struggling this year and Robbie Grey is adapting his game to be more a midfielder. Buckley quickly picked up on the trend and we recruited last year with quick ball movement in mind. Blair was given another contract because he can play both forward and back and so has that role he can play. Varcoe plays around the flanks so is ok as is Hoskin-Elliot. The worry is a player like Kirby who is a little one dimensional. Daicos needs to find a role he can play if he wants to make the senior side.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 pm

K wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Why does Buckley have to be so obstinate and pig-headed?
Zorko has failed this year with a hard tag on him but Buckley refuses...
Adams would make a perfect tagger ...

Can someone confirm who actually did play on Zorko? The claim post-Mitchell was that they tried to mute him and failed.

Steele played 'on' Zorko. They hardly went near each other.
Bad luck for spectators who value one-on-one contests (see S. Hocking's comments). That's the issue ignored if the focus is exclusively on tagging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14   

Jump to: