Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I love Sam Murray.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:38 pm
Post subject: I love Sam Murray.Reply with quote

Is it just me or is Sam Murray the most “positive, take the game on and modern type player” we have recruited in many a year?? He didn’t get a lot of it on Saturday, however what stood our were:

1. His “take the game & play on” every time
2. His complete avoidance of “J. Smith type” lateral side kick play
3. His exciting “inward” sidestep to go direct through the middle
4. His beautiful kick to the “lead up space” of our forwards NOT Brayden Maynard style sky ball nine irons!

Tip:

Please keep playing instinctively and don’t catch our disease which is “Magpiekickitis”!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I’m with you on this. In the off season posts when everyone was bemoaning our lack of talls, I was banging on about our lack of run and carry HBs in the same threads.
These guys are what’s required in the modern game. They are an opposition defenders nightmare. They break the zones and unleash with the chaos kick that all defenders hate.
He’s also played two games of AFL footy. He won’t get any worse from here.

I would love to dig out all those negative posts when we first traded him into the club. Funnily enough, I would doubt if there was one poster who saw him play live.
Doubt if he will ever be AA but I reckon he has a great future with the Pies.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

I’m with you on this. In the off season posts when everyone was bemoaning our lack of talls, I was banging on about our lack of run and carry HBs in the same threads.
These guys are what’s required in the modern game. They are an opposition defenders nightmare. They break the zones and unleash with the chaos kick that all defenders hate.

I would love to dig out all those negative posts when we first traded him into the club. Funnily enough, I would doubt if there was one poster who saw him play live.

Great calls! We all know All Australian selections are “reputational” more than “actual” performances. Am sure Sam shall make the odd blunder taking the game on but nowhere near the amount that Maynard does.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Never should this boy be chastised for taking the game on and making a mistake. As his experience and decision making improves he’ll become a weapon.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

He is great
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm

He's a ripper. Cool
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 pm

When I see Sam Murray take the game on and charge towards our goal, it's a shock to the senses. It takes a moment to realise we haven't seen anything like this from a Pies player since I can't remember....taking a risk, backing yourself, attacking iwith intent.
Suddenly, anything can unfold in the next few seconds. The opposition is scrambling, no time to get organised.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...No..reign him in Bucks. We can't afford play like this. A few more games and he'll be fixed.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Love the way he plays. Haven't had anything close since Harry.

Set up the goal that gave us a chance later in the last by taking the game on. He's exactly the type of player we needed to sign and I've seen enough to say the outlay was worth it.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm

It’s a serious win for Hine. That kind of non-obvious talent spotting is genuinely elite. I’m not saying he has done it often enough, but he has here.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Great calls! We all know All Australian selections are “reputational” more than “actual” performances. Am sure Sam shall make the odd blunder taking the game on but nowhere near the amount that Maynard does.

Its funny. Maynard used to take the game on but then he made a few clangers and everyone got down on him. We dont see any of that flair from him anymore.

I wonder whether the fear of getting abused for mistakes has squashed him as a player.......

In the NBA, you will never hear a coach punish results. They always judge decisions. In other words, if its a good shot (and you are a good shooter), you don't complain that they miss a shot. you need your player taking the next shot even if he missed his 4 previous. Its very much psychological. Dont want the last shot in their head when they take the next one. If you want a player to take a chance, you cant crucify him for taking a chance and failing. We do that to our forwards and to our creative payers (although never during the initial honeymoon period).

I think its really funny that none of you pointed out the fact that on at least two occasions, Murray took the game on and then either hand balled it or kicked it directly to the oppositions (and yet you speak of Maynard like his attack and line breaking is a liability if he dares make even one mistake in a game). Based on our history with Maynard and others, that criticism of Murray will start sometime soon and we should see the flair start to leave Murray's game by round 15!

E 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 pm

bally12 wrote:
When I see Sam Murray take the game on and charge towards our goal, it's a shock to the senses. It takes a moment to realise we haven't seen anything like this from a Pies player since I can't remember....taking a risk, backing yourself, attacking iwith intent.
Suddenly, anything can unfold in the next few seconds. The opposition is scrambling, no time to get organised.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...No..reign him in Bucks. We can't afford play like this. A few more games and he'll be fixed.

Maynard tried it and we all hated it when he made a blunder ......

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 am

Pies2016 wrote:

The trade raised eyebrows because most supporters didn't expect us to trade a future second round pick for him, which I think at the time warranted some questioning.

It's true that we were lacking run and carry players from the half-back (something we hadn't addressed adequately since Heater's departure), so I could understand the recruitment in that sense and so far he seems to be a good addition for the club.

His instinct to take the game on is refreshing to watch and I've enjoyed watching him grow and develop. What's also impressed me is the ease he's slotted into the defence and formed a good chemistry with the other defenders.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:36 am

Jezza wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

The trade raised eyebrows because most supporters didn't expect us to trade a future second round pick for him, which I think at the time warranted some questioning.

It's true that we were lacking run and carry players from the half-back (something we hadn't addressed adequately since Heater's departure), so I could understand the recruitment in that sense and so far he seems to be a good addition for the club.

His instinct to take the game on is refreshing to watch and I've enjoyed watching him grow and develop. What's also impressed me is the ease he's slotted into the defence and formed a good chemistry with the other defenders.

We traded Elliot for a first rounder and no one said anything (even though no one had heard of him or knew much about him). Actually some people were so stupid they thought the trade was really for Marty Clark with Elliot thrown in (worst trade in history if Clark was our target). The elliot trade is another one that is right up there as a great trade.

Actually giving up a second round draft pick has worked to our advantage in a bunch of trades. WHE, Aish, Elliot, Murray. All good trades.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am

The last player we had who played like that was Harry O'Brien-that's what he was called then. He would get the ball and run like crazy. It was wonderful to watch.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 am

The last player we had who played like that was Harry O'Brien-that's what he was called then. He would get the ball and run like crazy. It was wonderful to watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: