Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season Draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 pm
Post subject: Mid season DraftReply with quote

This may have been canvased before but the AFL are pushing it again and I didn't see the subject recently so I'm curious to know what other supporters think.

I'm an against:
My argument is that a season should be like loading a gun - you set yourself up and take a shot and find out at the end of the season whether or not you you have hit the target.
I don't follow the pies to cheer on Derek Hine, Geoff Walsh Eddie Mac or for that matter Buckley - I cheer on the 22 who take the field wearing our colours.
I like one club players and feel the AFL is making this too much about bureaucracy and brands. I wish someone would recognize that following the footy is a tribal / family attachment and that corporate advertising, sponsorship and all the other money making considerations is a monkey coming along for the ride rather than Footy's purpose.
The mid season draft looks like an excuse for management to tamper with the product and it seems another detraction from enjoying a team for a year. To watch them grow and work together.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:25 pm
Post subject: Re: Mid season DraftReply with quote

glasseyevfx wrote:
This may have been canvased before but the AFL are pushing it again and I didn't see the subject recently so I'm curious to know what other supporters think.

I'm an against:
My argument is that a season should be like loading a gun - you set yourself up and take a shot and find out at the end of the season whether or not you you have hit the target.
I don't follow the pies to cheer on Derek Hine, Geoff Walsh Eddie Mac or for that matter Buckley - I cheer on the 22 who take the field wearing our colours.
I like one club players and feel the AFL is making this too much about bureaucracy and brands. I wish someone would recognize that following the footy is a tribal / family attachment and that corporate advertising, sponsorship and all the other money making considerations is a monkey coming along for the ride rather than Footy's purpose.
The mid season draft looks like an excuse for management to tamper with the product and it seems another detraction from enjoying a team for a year. To watch them grow and work together.

Well said.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83277
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:12 pm

I’m for it but in a modified form.
I would like to see clubs be given access to a mid year draft available for any players who aren’t currently already on an AFL list ( promising U18s also excluded )
This allows the life long dream for at least some mature players to be selected to play for an AFL Club through the not so conventional pathway.

I’m a bit different in that I don’t like the idea that a clubs chances are virtually crippled because they have lost their two ruckman ( example ) before the half way mark of the season.
Like everything AFL, I’m sure if some corporation is prepared to sponsor it, then it won’t be far away.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:13 pm

D P
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 pm

K wrote:
http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83277

Thanks for that K - Jan was the last post.
It seems many posters like it for the Long term Injury issue - its a fair argument but I think its a point that could be exploited - part of the clubs job is to train and prepare players to not be injured and managing them when they do - There are rookies and excess on the list already. I'm not convinced its weighs enough to warrant another draft - I hope it falls over.
If a club looses all its ruck options for the year it should be the rub of the green.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm

As was said in the previous thread, we used to allow player trades, the equivalent of mid season draft, up to 30 June.

Russel Greene was one notable, rocked up to training at St Kilda on Monday, was told to clean out his locker, he'd been traded, and played for Hawthorn the following Saturday.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 pm

A bloke spends a few years on the list, works his bum off, a vfew injuries and his chance is presented. Then they bring in someone from outside and he spends more time in the WAFL or VFL. Can see a few saying "stuff you, I will take a gap year".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: