Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2022 Free Agency

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:53 pm
Post subject: 2022 Free AgencyReply with quote

Nah, it's not too early for this thread.

Ok maybe. Over the years we've seen the list of available players really slim down throughout the year as the better players re-sign with their current club. It'll probably happen again. And the list this year is not as juicy as previous seasons.

Only one's of interest for me are:
1. Daniel McStay. 196cm Forward.
2. Jack Macrae. 191cm Mid.
Gap
3. Bailey Dale. 187cm AA Defender.
4. Angus Brayshaw. 187cm Mid.
Gap
5. Karl Amon. 181cm Small Forward.
6. James Sicily. 189cm Defender.
Big gap
7. Jayden Hunt. 187cm Defender.

All 26 or under, apart from Macrae and Sicily who are 27. All likely to stay where they are, especially as players listed are from the top four favourites to win the flag, apart from Sicily.

Most of the other FA's were once good players, but now too old to have an impact here. Heeney would be a big one too, but I believe, like Moore, is expected to announce his new contract soon. Would Macrae be interested to play with his brother?

Collingwoods FAs:
Darcy Moore (Rumoured to have re-signed)
Jamie Elliott
Jordan De Goey
Steele Sidebottom

Hope I didnt miss anyone Embarassed Got info from here (also lists out of contract players): https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2022

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair call, Presti. It’s never too early 😂
Keep in mind that if we were to pick up a free agent but then also lose one of our players to free agency, then we wouldn’t receive a compensation pick for the player lost. If we were to lose a player like DeGoey or Moore ( not likely ) to free agency, I would much prefer the compo pick rather than any player we could pick up on that list.
I’m guessing our free agency strategy will depend a lot on where DeGoeys future lies at the end of this season. As long as all our free agents stay on, then our ability to pursue a free agent remains alive and well ( albeit the cap may be a tad tight after resigning the big names )
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:53 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Fair call, Presti. It’s never too early 😂
Keep in mind that if we were to pick up a free agent but then also lose one of our players to free agency, then we wouldn’t receive a compensation pick for the player lost. If we were to lose a player like DeGoey or Moore ( not likely ) to free agency, I would much prefer the compo pick rather than any player we could pick up on that list.
I’m guessing our free agency strategy will depend a lot on where DeGoeys future lies at the end of this season. As long as all our free agents stay on, then our ability to pursue a free agent remains alive and well ( albeit the cap may be a tad tight after resigning the big names )

Yes it is a bit of a strategic game.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:56 pm

https://www.afl.com.au/news/702794/every-2022-free-agent-revealed-your-clubs-crunch-re-signings

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2022-list-of-afl-free-agents-after-2022-season-trade-news-rumours-whispers-out-of-contract-best-available-players/news-story/953cc6b8daf6ed6f71650cbefdf45069

McStay would be the big one for us. Not so many big names this season, and certainly not many who are not too old. Macrae would be great in the guts with his brother.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Don't see Macrae going anywhere...

McStay has never kicked more than 28 goals in a season. Averages 1 per game over the last 4 years, 82 from 79 games

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:00 pm

If our youngsters continue to develop as we hope they will in 2022, we might need to build up a bit of war chest to keep them.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Well that's it isnt it.

There really isnt anyone who is realistically going to leave, or fits our need and isn't over the age of 28.

Daniel McStay as a 26 year old, 196cm Forward is the best fit from those available. 28 goals last year, without Rafa Hipwood playing isn't exactly earth shattering. But it's far better than the FF we dont have. (We'll see what we do with Krueger and if McMahon or Kelly step up).

Jack Macrae would be crazy to leave the Dogs, but geez it'd be nice to have him here. Is Karl Amon (181cm Small Forward) any good? James Sicily returning from a knee this year, has he had it?

I think I'm slowly convincing myself that the only FA movement in 2022 will be Sweet FA.

Quincy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:24 pm

And will our free agents stay or go?
MAY-Z 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:35 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Well that's it isnt it.

There really isnt anyone who is realistically going to leave, or fits our need and isn't over the age of 28.

Daniel McStay as a 26 year old, 196cm Forward is the best fit from those available. 28 goals last year, without Rafa Hipwood playing isn't exactly earth shattering. But it's far better than the FF we dont have. (We'll see what we do with Krueger and if McMahon or Kelly step up).

Jack Macrae would be crazy to leave the Dogs, but geez it'd be nice to have him here. Is Karl Amon (181cm Small Forward) any good? James Sicily returning from a knee this year, has he had it?

I think I'm slowly convincing myself that the only FA movement in 2022 will be Sweet FA.

I was studying the list yesterday, and was quite disappointed in what was available

Jack macrae is really the only player I would want, and I would see him signing for 2 more years for the dogs, then assessing where we are at, the dogs are at, and where Fin is at

Karl Amon is t a small forward, he is a genuine winger, and quite a good one, but hopefully our younger players will fill those spots
themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:32 pm

We should be chasing Logan McDonald, exactly what we need.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 pm

Sure, but not a FA and will a pick 4 from WA want to come after Sydney finished 11 places above us last year?
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:23 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Sure, but not a FA and will a pick 4 from WA want to come after Sydney finished 11 places above us last year?

Need to ask the question, the kid may hate living in Sydney or he may have a soft spot for pies, who knows?

A quality key forward is the obvious gap and must be our main priority over the next 12-24 months.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:12 pm

Heard darcy moore sydney swans would like to poach darcy.

They have their eye on him.

Like sidebottom to move on.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:10 pm

^ Sidey would probably like you to move on, just quietly.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:20 pm

themonk wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

Need to ask the question, the kid may hate living in Sydney or he may have a soft spot for pies, who knows?

A quality key forward is the obvious gap and must be our main priority over the next 12-24 months.

Assuming we finish low enough on the ladder, Harry Lemmey would likely be our KPF target at the draft. S A tall who is a similar type to McDonald. The kid is built already and is on track to go in the first few picks. It makes sense that he would / should be our key forward priority at the end of the season. If we keep both Moore and DeGoey, I’m guessing we would only have enough left over to invest in kids anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: