Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:10 am

RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:
"Performance by Design" has "Leading Teams" fingerprints on it, in the form of Gerard Murphy (who, you may recall, had an abrupt and unexplained --- was there a non-disclosure agreement? --- parting of ways with Richmond in 2016). After his LT/AFL days, PBD's website says he worked with the Great Britain national rugby team and West Ham United. It also tells us Tami Roos has a "PhD in Meditation and Mindfulness, University of Hawaii". Elsewhere, this is described as a "PhD in Parapsychic Science". (She grew up in America before marrying Paul.)

It's more than wank, it's dangerous shit. I mean, Parapsychic 'Science'?? Rolling Eyes

While the qualifiction seems FOS I can't wee what's wrong with Mindfulfness and Meditation per se.

It depends how it's done and if people are being ripped off doing this.

I know people close to me who have had immence benefit for "Mindlefulness" training however it seems the practitoner made the difference.

Meditation if done well can be of wonderful benefit to people. While I don't belong to Transindental Meditation (TM) I believe they have had their techniques double blind controlled studied with provable results.

Medication like mindfulness needs practice and discilpine to be useful.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 am

Genuine meditation is fantastic, and proven by neuroscience to physically alter your brain in a positive way. I just question the need to pay a Transcendental Meditation consultant from a wanky Hawaiian "university" a six-figure sum, when anyone can meditate, anywhere. You don't need a guru, it's all in the mind. Plenty of practicing Buddhists in Melbourne who would be a cheaper alternative for the club too. I know a Rinpoche who'd do it for free, because it's not about his bank account, but being compassionate and kind.

Don't be fooled by the $$$'s and image, Collingwood. Substance > style.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 pm

^ & ^^:

Yep, when Paul was MFC coach and his wife was employed by MFC, the BB debate seemed split into three groups talking past each other.

Group 1: "She has no qualifications, so it is wrong for her to be leading meditation, etc."
Group 2: "You're wrong! Meditation, etc. is effective, etc."
Group 3: "This is all a load of **** (so who cares who leads it?)."

(Alleged nepotism was another talking point, of course, but that was MFC's problem, not ours.)

watt price tully wrote:
Medication like mindfulness needs practice and discilpine to be useful.

Very unfortunate typo!
K 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 pm

The Courage to be Disliked

Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga

"YOUTH: Well water? Um, it was a long time ago, but there was a well at my grandmothers house in the countryside. I remember enjoying the fresh, cold water drawn from that well on a hot summers day.
PHILOSOPHER: You may know this, but well water stays at pretty much the same temperature all year round, at about 18 degrees. That is an objective numberit stays the same to everyone who measures it. But when you drink the water in the summer it seems cool and when you drink the same water in the winter it seems warm. Even though its the same water, at the same 18 degrees according to the thermometer, the way it seems depends on whether its summer or winter.
YOUTH: So, its an illusion caused by the change in the environment.
PHILOSOPHER: No, its not an illusion. You see, to you, in that moment, the coolness or warmth of the well water is an undeniable fact. Thats what it means to live in your subjective world. There is no escape from your own subjectivity. At present, the world seems complicated and mysterious to you, but if you change, the world will appear more simple. The issue is not about how the world is, but about how you are.
YOUTH: How I am?
PHILOSOPHER: Right . . . Its as if you see the world through dark glasses, so naturally everything seems dark. But if that is the case, instead of lamenting about the worlds darkness, you could just remove the glasses. Perhaps the world will appear terribly bright to you then and you will involuntarily shut your eyes. Maybe youll want the glasses back on, but can you even take them off in the first place? Can you look directly at the world? Do you have the courage?
YOUTH: Courage?
PHILOSOPHER: Yes, its a matter of courage.
YOUTH: Well alright. There are tons of objections I would like to raise, but I get the feeling it would be better to go into them later. I would like to confirm that you are saying people can change, right?
PHILOSOPHER: Of course people can change. They can also find happiness.
YOUTH: Everyone, without exception?
PHILOSOPHER: No exceptions whatsoever."
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm

As much as Eastern philosophy sounds nice to the ear, it's worth remembering that Zen Buddhists supported General Tojo and Emperor Hirohito, the leaders of Japanese Militarism/Fascism during WWII....just saying.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Their book is a best-seller in Japan (with 3.5m copies sold in Asia), but it's based not on Eastern philosophy but on Adlerian psychology. Alfred Adler was Viennese. (Not that we can't discuss Eastern philosophy unless Pies read it.)
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
As much as Eastern philosophy sounds nice to the ear, it's worth remembering that Zen Buddhists supported General Tojo and Emperor Hirohito, the leaders of Japanese Militarism/Fascism during WWII....just saying.

Some Zen Buddhists. Wink And it was around a lot longer before the Japanese got hold of it. Zen's just the Japanese interpretation of the Chinese character for the branch of Buddhism they developed alongside Taosim.

Adler's pretty controversial with his "trauma doesn't exist" view. He came up with that idea in a time before science had proven trauma can have a physical affect -- neurologically, as well as the immune system, nervous system. PTSD for example. It's not as simple as saying trauma only exists if you acknowledge it.

Anyways, footy is much simpler. Get the ball and f***ing kick it!
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Where can I get the ball and f***ing kick it?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Anywhere there aren't any glass windows, HAL.

Ex-Pies Nathan Brown listed Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now as a favourite book. But I doubt he recommended The Courage to be Disliked to Bucks!
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Probably a lot of places.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:06 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Ex-Pies Nathan Brown listed Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now as a favourite book. ...

Really? I wonder when he read it (relative to good and bad times in his career).

Quote:
Quote Unquote
Tolle in his own words

The Power of Now

"The pain-body consists of trapped life-energy that has split off from your total energy field and has temporarily become autonomous through the unnatural process of mind identification"

"Pain can only feed on pain. Pain cannot feed on joy. It finds it quite indigestible"

"In the normal, mind-identified or unenlightened state of consciousness, the power and creative potential that lie concealed in the Now are completely obscured by psychological time. You cannot find yourself by going into the past. You can find yourself by coming into the present. Life is now. There was never a time when your life was not now, nor will there ever be"

Okay, I think I'm getting some sort of idea why The Independent's profile of Tolle begins:

"We live in an age of revitalised New Age mumbo jumbo; and these days no one is more jumbo with his mumbo than Eckhart Tolle."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/eckhart-tolle-this-man-could-change-your-life-850872.html
K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Adler's pretty controversial with his "trauma doesn't exist" view. He came up with that idea in a time before science had proven trauma can have a physical affect -- neurologically, as well as the immune system, nervous system. PTSD for example. It's not as simple as saying trauma only exists if you acknowledge it.

Yep. Part I of Kishimi & Koga's book is entitled "Deny Trauma" and has chapters entitled "Trauma Does Not Exist" and "People Fabricate Anger".
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Noted in passing:

'In recent times the Hawks have held a ballot in which players have voted in a 5-4-3-2-1 basis for the captaincy. The ballot is not secret, which Roughead and Smith both said had made for openness between teammates.

Asked about the open vote, Smith denied that it could create awkwardness between teammates.

Thats been the case ever since Ive been at the club, he said.

You know where you stand, which is good.

I think the biggest thing is it probably creates some nice conversations. Its nice to know where you stand within the club in that arena. '

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/smith-keen-to-lead-hawks-but-he-won-t-play-trump-card-20181203-p50jwj.html

[Does an open vote really generate "nice conversations", as they claim, or does it (say) just inhibit players from voting against the status quo?]
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am

"[Matthew Boyd]'s a devotee of the library's self-improvement shelves, a fan of Malcolm Gladwell's writing, his simplification of complex matters in books such as Outliers, David and Goliath and The Tipping Point. He enjoys having "a growth mindset", and admits exposure to different perspectives has softened an outlook that might have projected his younger self as somewhat intense.

"Even up until five or six years ago I was very, 'My way's the only way.' I was very set, a process-oriented person who likes structure. I now understand there's different ways for different types of people, no-one fits in the same mould all the time."

Captaining the Bulldogs from 2011-13 taught him "to try and get the best outcome for the most number of people, which is sometimes difficult". He's never sought to be everyone's favourite, is comfortable having hard conversations; Boyd thinks this was doubtless a factor in his elevation."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-boyd-living-and-learning-20150605-ghhb6c.html

MG?? Oh, no... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 13 of 18   

Jump to: