Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John LEWIN wrote:
Collective Mind, ironic really, which one? The AFL,the Board of a club, the administration, the players, all of the above? Seems more like a declaration of ignorance actually. Pretty obvious that the problem was a fundamental lack of respect for professionalism. Proper governance arrangements at the Crows would have seen the CM company's proposed programme critically evaluated by independent professionals, who would have immediately identified the lack of suitably qualified personnel. That is the real collective mind concept ensuring any project has all the intellectual resources required. Not just norming and forming a bunch of people to a crack pot theory of behaviour. A project of that scale would need to be lead by a senior psychologist practitioner and some supporting registered psychologists..
Before you can call yourself a Clinical Psychologist you need a four year degree 3 plus honours then a Masters degree with an independently assessed thesis and a total of two and in many cases four years supervision, assessment for registration and serious ongoing professional education to maintain registration, subject to supervision by a Government body that can take your registration away. Because you can't let people mess with other peoples heads without it being professionally regulated. None of that in sight for the Crows. How did the Board get to where they are? Incredible not doing a proper risk analysis which would have prevented them throwing their season away.

You don't need all those qualifications to run a leadership program, and people mess with other peoples heads on an hourly basis without it being professionally regulated. What do you think coaches and managers do?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 am

RudeBoy wrote:
So glad we finally woke up and told Leading Teams to phuck off. I don't think it's any coincidence that their departure from our club coincided with a dramatic improvement in our club culture.

You've been consistent throughout with this group led stuff. Given Adeeaide went to real extremes with this which is mind boggling.

Mark Williams on radio tonight said he heard that players at times were bullied and harrssed. part of this included being tied up naked and being deliberately taunted by others.

Where's Werner Erhard when you need him? Wink

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:10 am

Stui I thought coaches taught people how to play developed their skills and decided on strategy and tactics. If you don't need qualifications to deal with anything then Freud could coach Collingwood. In the case of football the qualification is demonstrated on the job over a long period. In my experience if you have a toothache you want a Dentist. There is a difference between coaching and psychology, otherwise footballers would be issuing mental health plans. Interesting that the AFL shares your view, Maclachlan has just said their was nothing wrong with the Adelaide programme. Seems the subjects of the programme disagree mightily and the results speak for themselves. The gap is significant. Once again, the issue is cultural and that is a lack of respect for professional expertise. I'm sure a few injuries have been dealt with in the world of footy by people who are not medically qualified but a doctor would be the optimum service provider.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Did Gillon really say that? He should not have made any comment.
The media have reported that he has finally put the camp under investigation by the AFL Integrity Unit.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 pm

John LEWIN wrote:
Stui I thought coaches taught people how to play developed their skills and decided on strategy and tactics. If you don't need qualifications to deal with anything then Freud could coach Collingwood. In the case of football the qualification is demonstrated on the job over a long period. In my experience if you have a toothache you want a Dentist. There is a difference between coaching and psychology, otherwise footballers would be issuing mental health plans. Interesting that the AFL shares your view, Maclachlan has just said their was nothing wrong with the Adelaide programme. Seems the subjects of the programme disagree mightily and the results speak for themselves. The gap is significant. Once again, the issue is cultural and that is a lack of respect for professional expertise. I'm sure a few injuries have been dealt with in the world of footy by people who are not medically qualified but a doctor would be the optimum service provider.

I'm assuming you are a trained health professional, who believes that you need to be one in order to do this kind of thing, which is akin to a plumber believing you need to be a plumber to change a tap washer.

I've delivered training and 1 on 1 coaching in performance management, which has both a legal and psychological basis, and I'm not qualified as either a lawyer or psychologist (or a HR practitioner for that matter).

This mob missed the mark apparently, big time. However the lack of qualifications is IMO far less of a problem than their lack of due diligence in designing and executing the program

E 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 pm

this thread has been resuscitated so many times its a joke. cant we let it die a slow and worthy death. Its up there with the Form Ladder as the least interesting post in Nicks history......
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am

harsh, dude, I have found it mildly entertaining. It has however drifted away from a Collingwood topic.. I'd much prefer the laugh at carlscum thread in GD Smile
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
... drifted away from a Collingwood topic ...

Sadly, I believe that is totally incorrect. This is not an Adelaide problem: it's a league-wide problem. Everyone believed Adelaide was such a professionally run club, a club that dealt with adversity so well, a club with such a good captain. It's disturbing what apparently just about all of the AFL coaches get seduced by. The whole nature of football clubs may well make them vulnerable. It doesn't help when there's so much unprofessional behaviour in the AFL. Our club is not immune. There have been (at best) huge question marks hovering over the way certain Pies players have been treated in the past.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:41 am

fair call, the last few pages have just seemed very crow centric. Not complaining mind you, merely an observation Cool
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:49 pm

On Footy Classified last night:

https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2018/clip-cjlm8m7pp006y0gph0i90gz21

Noteworthy:
The grumpy, defensive response of Paul Marsh, AFLPA CEO.
AFL players deserve a better representative than that.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 pm

K wrote:
On Footy Classified last night:

https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2018/clip-cjlm8m7pp006y0gph0i90gz21

Noteworthy:
The grumpy, defensive response of Paul Marsh, AFLPA CEO.
AFL players deserve a better representative than that.

1, 2, 3...clear...1, 2, 3 ...clear.

Doc, no pulse. Other options???

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 pm

E wrote:
this thread has been resuscitated so many times its a joke. cant we let it die a slow and worthy death. Its up there with the Form Ladder as the least interesting post in Nicks history......

Er, I think you forgot your ongoing tedious percentage doesnt matter threads. Razz

I agree with K. This is relevant because it says something about the way all clubs are run, including ours. As with the Essendon doping scandal, theres a lot of dodgy stuff going on behind the scenes potentially affecting players physical and mental health, all for the sake of a win-at-all-costs mentality and the huge amount of money at stake nowadays. Its not just about one club or one leadership team.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 am

David wrote:
E wrote:

Er, I think you forgot your ongoing tedious percentage doesnt matter threads. Razz

I agree with K. This is relevant because it says something about the way all clubs are run, including ours. As with the Essendon doping scandal, theres a lot of dodgy stuff going on behind the scenes potentially affecting players physical and mental health, all for the sake of a win-at-all-costs mentality and the huge amount of money at stake nowadays. Its not just about one club or one leadership team.

The percentage debate is very healthy because there are people who still dispute it (meaning my work isnt over). Very Happy Very Happy

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:43 pm

E wrote:
David wrote:
E wrote:

The percentage debate is very healthy because there are people who still dispute it (meaning my work isnt over). Very Happy Very Happy

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Stui, surely you must have acquired the capability to do what you have done ins some way or does it just come naturally?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18   

Jump to: