Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Hoskin-Elliott:

"I agree with that 100 per cent [that it’s OK to be quiet, even at a footy club]. Not everyone is a loudmouth. Everyone needs to be themselves and you can’t be someone you’re not. You won’t enjoy footy, you won’t enjoy normal jobs and it’s just going to be a lot harder.''

"Everyone has their own personality at the club and it’s funny, when you try and act a little different everyone’s like ‘are you OK? What’s wrong with ya?’, and you go back to being out there or whatever you are and then everyone knows you’re sweet."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hoskin-elliott-collingwood-magpies-afl-20180511-p4zes8.html
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 am

John Worsfold:

“In the history of all the great teams, the good teams are coach-led, the great teams are player-led.”

Leigh Matthews:

“I would’ve thought it’s always the coach and the coaching group’s job to set the standards along with the senior players.
The teenagers coming in as first and second-year players are observers mainly.
But the fact is, it’s a two-way street. Any coach knows if you don’t have senior players and the influencers on the same page as you are, then it doesn’t work.
So it’s a combination. It’s not totally player-driven and it’s not totally coach-driven – it’s a partnership.
The modern coaching mantra is to involve the payers much more in the decision-making than previous generations.
I last coached in 2008 and we had leadership groups then. But I think the player leadership groups have been given greater responsibility in the last decade.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-buck-stops-with-who-20180516-p4zfoa.html
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:03 am

The above is a great summary of the role of the coaching group. The unknown to me is the role of the senior coach in recruitment. Without players the coach doesn't have a team. For example with Mayne, whose idea was it to recruit him, Buckley, Hine or Gubby? In last year's draft who made the decision to go with Stephenson, Hine, Buckley or Walsh? Are the coaching group in sync with the list management people, or does the senior coach override decisions by the head of list management?
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:43 am

The latest episode from the Crows:

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1000639028427870208

That club is becoming a fascinating case study.

More:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-27/the-reason-crows-coach-glared-at-his-players

Don Pyke: "I was trying to engage them and just bring them back to the present and try to actually get them to feel what was going on."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-28/pykes-silent-treatment-was-no-surprise

[full video]
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:09 am

D. Barrett:

"If it was the stance in the finals last year and the stare in round 10 this year ...
then we're wondering what's next. Pyke – one of the game's most fascinating men."

(Sliding Doors, afl.com.au: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-01/sliding-doors-round-11)
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:19 pm

looked a lot like the mad monk when stumped for words. Don, you're not saying anything! Laughing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Way too contrived for my liking.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:28 am

Tom Phillips:

"I'm a different personality and different character and that's the same for each of us, you can't try and mimic exactly what they're doing. But from an actions' point of view and what they're doing to get the performance, I've taken a lot from that and the way they've gone about it as senior players."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-03/determined-phillips-repaying-pies-faith

He does seem a bit of an oddball.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:51 pm

A ‘cult-like’ pre-season camp debacle left senior Adelaide Crows players distressed

March 26, 2018

Quote:
Foxfooty.com.au has been told multiple experienced Crows were bewildered and mentally distressed after the club’s first pre-season camp in seven years turned sour.

Unlike Melbourne’s debacle late last year, the cause for concern centred on the emotional wellbeing of players, especially half-a-dozen or so senior members of the team.

They were forced to adopt a mentality, described as ‘cult-like’ by one source, in the bush while the rest of the squad remained on the Gold Coast.

Adelaide’s playing list split up into two groups. One stayed on the Gold Coast for the week, while the more senior half-a-dozen or so players ventured to the bush on a “high gradient training” adventure that was designed to break them mentally for part of the camp.

Entitled the ‘Mankind Project’ and run by Collective Minds, players were asked to complete emotionally upsetting questionnaires, as well as a variety of tasks that sources say also had at least one assistant coach questioning the merits of the mental elements of the camp.

Much of the training for the week was physical, but when senior players hopped in a bus and were blindfolded, sources have suggested that no medical professional accompanied them. One player in particular didn’t feel well but no doctors were there to assist. This process made some players — not all — question the club.

Some players are still “not in a good headspace” after the training camp, said one source.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/a-cultlike-preseason-camp-debacle-left-senior-adelaide-crows-players-distressed/news-story/c49921a32fab6d7e6c672ab4f09ce805

Walker furious with Crows pre-season camp leak

27 March 2018

Quote:
... Taylor Walker sent an angry group text message to his teammates on Monday night, demanding to know who leaked information about the pre-season camp.

Fairfax Media understands that several players, including one senior star, are reconsidering their future at the club after being left distraught by the Crows’ pre-season training camp.

Walker’s reaction follows what Fairfax Media understands to be a group pact made by Adelaide players that the pre-season camp would not be discussed outside the club’s four walls.

“That camp was one of the most beneficial and rewarding I have been on and advise any of my best mates or family members to do the same thing,” Walker told Triple M.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/walker-furious-with-crows-pre-season-camp-leak-20180327-p4z6kw.html
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 pm

The Crows are buying into the bulltish big time...

Rob Chapman, Crows Chairman...
Quote:
“There is not much more than incremental gains we can make today in physically improving our players,” Chapman told The Advertiser on Thursday. “But when we are told we are using just five per cent of the mind’s capacity, it would be negligent not to explore how we can unlock the potential of the mind.”

I can only assume that 'Collective Minds' are feeding them that '5%' line. It seems to be a variation on the 'we only use 10% of our brain' myth that has been popular for years and has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever.

It shows just how shallow the thinking behind these programmes is, how flippantly they sell this nonsense and how gullible people in positions of power can be. The Chairman is probably signing the cheques to these guys and the '5%' thing has impressed him enough for him to regurgitate it as a defence. Yet, he's never done even the most basic of research to see if it's based on fact?

A google search would debunk it for him in 5 seconds flat. It's the kind of wooly pseudo-scientific thinking that got Essendon into so much trouble.

Although, there may well be some evidence that Chapman himself is using no more than 5%.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:24 pm

^ absolutely, Redlight. Pseudo-intelligence is catnip to the half-educated.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 am

No division at Adelaide over pre-season camp: Pyke

28 March 2018

Don Pyke:

"This is a space we're operating in: there's a competitive advantage associated of what we're doing.

"I'm not going to apologise for us trying to get better.

"The reality in our world is that training, whether it be physical or mental, there's components within the program which are challenging.

"All we have done is taken our players and given them an opportunity to get better in the mental space."

"The majority of players walked away from the camp going 'wonderful experience, got a lot out of it'.

"And they're able to now put that into their life and into their football."

"The reality is, you don't keep 100 per cent of the people happy 100 per cent of the time."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-division-at-adelaide-over-pre-season-camp-pyke-20180328-p4z6q7.html
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am

Matters on Tex's mind

28 March 2018

Quote:
The ‘‘Collective Minds’’ process had been good for Walker, ... and helped him come to terms with — among other things – how nervous he had been before Adelaide’s disastrous 2017 grand final and he now concedes ‘‘maybe overawed by the occasion’’. But a small group of senior Crows had not been happy with the camp and said so — predominantly the club’s indigenous players, who made it clear that it was not right for them to be treated in such a manner.

‘‘But there are no divisions. How can there be divisions? It was all based around, ‘This has happened, don’t talk to anyone about it, come in and we’ll sort it out’. Things happened on the camp I didn’t even tell Ellie (Brown, Walker’s girlfriend) and I won’t break the bond we built up and tell you now but some of the descriptions have been so way off the mark it's ridiculous.’’

What has become clear is that a small handful of senior Crows did describe to their partners some of the mind games they endured on the late January Gold Coast camp and those partners were outraged.

Walker said he had no knowledge of a suggestion the Crows had trained recently serenaded by the Tigerland theme song as another odd motivational exercise. ‘‘I’ve been off the track so I couldn’t tell you,’’ he said.

... Of the so-called Power Rangers line-up, he said the idea was devised with input from Collective Minds but came from him and several senior teammates. He says he would do it again.

"... sometimes I maybe need a filter before I speak but I’m getting better.’’

... Walker said he still felt out of place at the competition’s pre-season annual captains’ day and left the talking to others. ‘‘I look around the room and I still don’t quite feel I belong,’’ he admitted.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/matters-on-tex-s-mind-20180328-p4z6se.html
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:23 pm

I think poor old Tex is an example of how all this psycho babble can phuck with a person's head and over complicate things.

These money grabbing snake oil salesman devise these ridiculous mind games, and tell the players to keep it all secret, not to mention it to their partners or anyone. FFS, just tell these phuckers to go and get phucked. And if I was a player, I'd be telling the coach and the head of the footy department where to go as well. It's insulting, divisive and ultimately damaging.

It's a game of footy Tex. Play it, do your best and try to win. There ain't anything more to think about. Think Nike - just do it!
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm

^ I tend to agree.

The great John Kennedy once said.... "Don't think; DO!!"

That's about as difficult as it needs to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18   

Jump to: