Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite on topic, but...

Stars forge bond with Collingwood in bid to improve leadership

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/stars-forge-bond-with-collingwood-in-bid-to-improve-leadership-20181220-p50neo.html

"The Melbourne Stars leadership group spent time at Collingwood during the year in a bid to improve openness and honesty following a horror campaign last summer.

The Big Bash League club, who share president Eddie McGuire with the Magpies, organised for team leaders including recently-appointed captain Glenn Maxwell to attend some Pies' player meetings. They were guided by Collingwood premiership captain Nick Maxwell, who is now the Magpies' leadership and culture manager.

It was very open and very honest, and something we can probably learn from in cricket. As cricketers we probably make a lot of mistakes. Its obviously a far different game to footy but we can be very quick to push away the blame and push it aside. To take that ownership and honesty and be honest in front of teammates is sometimes difficult for players to do, but something that I think can be quite beneficial for the group, to be able to open up, show your vulnerabilities. It allows the younger players to do the same thing. Hopefully it breaks down some barriers. "

[Comment: I'm not sure I'm all that happy having GM, a known St. K supporter (why do so many cricketers seem to go for St. K?), sitting in on Pies team meetings... Actually, if I were a Pies player, I'm not sure I'd be happy with outsiders, whether St. K supporters or not, sitting in on team meetings in which teammates are "showing their vulnerabilities". What will the Stars give us in return?]
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Off topic but.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Things are bad at the Pies, but at least we haven't had a torture camp:

Inside the camp that brought down the Adelaide Crows

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/inside-the-camp-that-brought-down-the-adelaide-crows-20200630-p557od.html

"As the nine others pulled the player away from the knife, facilitators encouraged them to hurl abuse at him. At first, it was relatively harmless; "Come on, mate. You're weak, you'll give up!"

But as the struggle increased, the insults became more personal.

Episodes of childhood trauma, relationships with partners and incidents of domestic abuse were among the subjects referenced as players tried to crawl across the mud.

In some cases, the information was so sensitive that players hadn't even shared it with their partners.

Players are certain sensitive information confided to club staff had been handed on to Woulfe and Leddie before the camp.

"There's no doubt that private and personal information was used without our consent," a player told The Sunday Age."
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Bryce Gibbs' comments were interesting though.

"Gibbs, the new recruit, admitted it was "cultish" in some quarters but said he had been on "a lot worse camps" at Carlton."

Well I guess 231 games at Carlton would be worse than most things...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:23 pm

Bumping this thread as I’m sure most of us have seen this by now:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-knife-a-harness-and-the-power-stance-eddie-betts-reveals-cult-like-training-camp-20220801-p5b6ej.html

It’s disgraceful that these charlatans were given such a blank cheque to peddle their snake oil methods and traumatise people in the process. Nobody involved in organising this camp should ever work in the AFL again. I certainly never want to hear Don Pyke’s name ever floated again as a prospective member of our coaching staff.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:19 am

Do you get the feeling if this was Collingwood FC. We would be facing Amnesty International charges, banned from the AFL for a season, loss of draft picks etc, etc. Throw in a dose of racism charges and crimes against humanity. 🙄
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:07 am

Can you imagine if Collingwood said “it was 4 years ago, time to move on” to Lumumba?!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:44 am

David wrote:
Bumping this thread as I’m sure most of us have seen this by now:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-knife-a-harness-and-the-power-stance-eddie-betts-reveals-cult-like-training-camp-20220801-p5b6ej.html

It’s disgraceful that these charlatans were given such a blank cheque to peddle their snake oil methods and traumatise people in the process. Nobody involved in organising this camp should ever work in the AFL again. I certainly never want to hear Don Pyke’s name ever floated again as a prospective member of our coaching staff.

Agree with all of that, but someone needs to gently explain to Eddie that the "Talking Stick" is not exclusively an Aboriginal Australian thing, it's common in many cultures around the world.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:00 am

So instead of insulting one culture, they offended a dozen. It was referred to as an aboriginal talking stick, from what I’ve been told. There’s other stuff that’s not in Eddie’s book as well, but that’s up to the other players to live with not speaking up about it.

I’m stunned the media hasn’t gone to town on Adelaide’s “it was 4 years a ago, time to move on.” How effing tone deaf can Riciciuto and the Adelaide boss be considering the Collingwood issues the past couple of years. Unbelievable they’re getting away with that comment. Can you imagine if Browne came out and said it!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:13 am

stui magpie wrote:
Agree with all of that, but someone needs to gently explain to Eddie that the "Talking Stick" is not exclusively an Aboriginal Australian thing, it's common in many cultures around the world.

I was unclear about that also, but it's possible that they appropriated a specifically Indigenous approach to it – it wouldn't surprise me at all if so.

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Can you imagine if Collingwood said “it was 4 years ago, time to move on” to Lumumba?!

We'd be rightly castigated, as Ricciuto has been by Gerard Whateley and others. I was listening to the latter's radio show yesterday morning and he was suggesting that everyone involved with Adelaide at the time (which includes Ricciuto) should be handing in their resignations immediately, so it's not like people are just brushing this off.

(See from 1:00, 4:22 and then 14:20 in the link below)
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1028350

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:18 am

^^ David, thanks for the update, good to hear Gerard and others are criticising Adelaide’s response.

The company who ran the Adelaide camp came across then as a bunch of frat jocks who hadn’t grown up since age 15, and I doubt they’ve matured any more since either.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:21 am

Where is Caroline Wilson’s pukefest on this on the front page of the Age? Oh that’s right, it’s not Collingwood 😩 Duhh……..…………😖
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:36 am

Whateley was even more excoriating towards the AFL and Adelaide this morning. Not sure if it's just him or if there's going to be more media pressure, but I suspect Ricciuto isn't going to just be able to walk away from this.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1028695

Gerard Whateley wrote:
What's the saying about the standard you walk past? There was a lot of walking past, eyes down, yesterday. The AFL's statement was a miserable failure. It took 28 words to acknowledge the hurt Eddie Betts experience, and 177 words of pathetic self-justification of all the league has done – and no-one put their name to it. No sorrow, no regret, no commitment to action. The acknowledgement was deliberately narrow: only to the Indigenous player who were subjected to the camp. But as Betts pointed out, it stretches far beyond that group. It's a cop-out to only address the affront to Indigenous culture in these events. Reading between the lines, you'd guess the AFL lives in fear of a class action from the players who were mistreated […]

In Adelaide, the great defenders of the footy club that runs the town moved nimbly from their long-held position that "it never happened, it never happened, it never happened" to "okay it did happen, but it's time to move on". Mirrors are in short supply across the border, because there's not a lot of self-reflection. There's been a protection racket around the events of the 2018 camp to marginalise and silence those who would tell the truth. Resignations were in order, but were neither offered nor demanded.

Last edited by David on Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:39 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I was unclear about that also, but it's possible that they appropriated a specifically Indigenous approach to it – it wouldn't surprise me at all if so.

Mr Miyagi wrote:

We'd be rightly castigated, as Ricciuto has been by Gerard Whateley and others. I was listening to the latter's radio show yesterday morning and he was suggesting that everyone involved with Adelaide at the time (which includes Ricciuto) should be handing in their resignations immediately, so it's not like people are just brushing this off.

(See from 1:00, 4:22 and then 14:20 in the link below)
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1028350

i think its fair to say that the indigenous population would have every right to be extra hurt by the seemingly inappopriate use of something as sacred as a talking stick. that camp....man oh man, heads should roll even now. good on Eddie for speaking up.

there is a reason why at the copeland almost every player said "thankyou Jacqui". My oh so sensitive, caring, old soul daughter had some very tough times from around year 11, and now She is a teacher dealing with some of the most down trodden children, in a terrible neighbourhood, and she gets them smiling, and learning, and i regularly say "thankyou Jacqui" to the heavens! Treloar still calls her friend. if your wondering Jacqui sits in the deepest left hand corner on the bench every week.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 am

David wrote:
Whateley was even more excoriating towards the AFL and Adelaide this morning. Not sure if it's just him or if there's going to be more media pressure, but I suspect Ricciuto isn't going to just be able to walk away from this.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1028695

Gerard Whateley wrote:
What's the saying about the standard you walk past? There was a lot of walking past, eyes down, yesterday. The AFL's statement was a miserable failure. It took 28 words to acknowledge the hurt Eddie Betts experience, and 177 words of pathetic self-justification of all the league has done – and no-one put their name to it. No sorrow, no regret, no commitment to action. The acknowledgement was deliberately narrow: only to the Indigenous player who were subjected to the camp. But as Betts pointed out, it stretches far beyond that group. It's a cop-out to only address the affront to Indigenous culture in these events. Reading between the lines, you'd guess the AFL lives in fear of a class action from the players who were mistreated […]

In Adelaide, the great defenders of the footy club that runs the town moved nimbly from their long-held position that "it never happened, it never happened, it never happened" to "okay it did happen, but it's time to move on". Mirrors are in short supply across the border, because there's not a lot of self-reflection. There's been a protection racket around the events of the 2018 camp to marginalise and silence those who would tell the truth. Resignations were in order, but were neither offered nor demanded.

Huge respect to Gerard. He got stuck into his fellow media for the treatment of Ginnivan, and he’s 100% right on the Betts issue. The AFL have just proven themselves to be hypocrites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18   

Jump to: