Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Sports Science Dept.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

great post, i was wondering the same thing. training methods? Hard surface? not training enough in real world conditions? something aint right and hasnt been for a while
MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 pm

They said on 360 that Elliott informed the club yesterday he was feeling sore from the game on the weekend. Wouldn't you put him in cotton wool this week?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Would not have a clue whether our training is responsible for injuries.
How would you well bloody know.
But we seem to get a lot of soft tissue injuries which mean I am worried about what is the truth.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 pm

MemberNo118 wrote:
Tom Browne stated that in the Giants game, Moore came off and told the physio he was tight in his hamstring....
He was sent back on and pinged his hamstring.

The question is who exactly would make that decision in-game. Is it a physio? Or a club doctor? (And we have two of each.) Or...?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm

There are currently 23 players listed on the AFL injury list with hammy injuries.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/injury-list

Every club, except for Richmond, have at least one.

It's part of the game people, it's like trying to lay blame on someone for; boxers having a broken nose, pitchers in the MBL having a shoulder or soccer players having a torn heart string.

The individual has to understand and LISTEN to their body.
Hey, it only took me a few decades to work that out Wink

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Maybe part of the reason for so many hammy pings to good players, is because we are always chasing our tail for wins.
When clubs get ahead in the win / loss ratios, they tend to treat the rehab more conservatively.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 pm

25 hamstring injuries across 18 teams and Collingwood has 4.

Over represented much?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Deja Vu wrote:

Over represented much?

Until today, it was 2.

Posters on here read way too much into sports medicine that my big toe knows more about.

Quite comical really.

MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Skids wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

Over represented much?

Until today, it was 2.

Posters on here read way too much into sports medicine that my big toe knows more about.

Quite comical really.

No, it was 4.

How many clubs this season have had 4 players go down with hamstring injuries at training like Collingwood have this year?

Last edited by MemberNo118 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 pm

I"ll put in my 20cents worth re hammies..

Cyriol Rioli had constant hamstring issues which were solved by doing steep uphill sprints.
This type of running also teaches you good sprinting technique in that the power phase of the hamstring contraction happens as the knee lifts up (not earler and behind you).
Try a few 200m steep uphill sprints and you'll quickly find out where your hamstrings and bum muscles are.

The worst gym exercises you can do are hamstring curls and leg extensions. These exercises pin the hip and thigh in place, and put sheer forces on the knee joint. It's not how the leg muscles are supposed to work.
I've seen both these exercises being done in the Collingwood gym via the snippets we see on the Collingwood website. Any decent gym instructor knows this. Not at Collingwood apparently.

The proper way to strengthen your legs are deadlifts and full-range squats. Full squats because you need to engage the full set of muscles that all complement each other. Front squats are the way to go here because it forces your body to get into the right position.
Traditional heavy half-squats are no good for your back, and also promote an imbalance in the leg muscles. Again, I've seen these being done by Pies players.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in strength and conditioning, but I do know a bit about it.
The point I'm making is that there is research out there showing some older training methods are outdated and proved wrong. There's also alternativee schools of thought on various training methods. I've just given a couple of examples above.
It's unfair to criticise the Pies fitness deptarment when we are so far removed from the real details. We can just hope they know what they are doing. My gut feel?...I think they could be better. Especially when we can't get players' calves right after 5months of pre-season training.
MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:00 am

And according to Steele Sidebottom he said he feels more sore after training than after games. There is something wrong there.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:04 am

bally12 wrote:
The worst gym exercises you can do are hamstring curls and leg extensions. These exercises pin the hip and thigh in place, and put sheer forces on the knee joint. It's not how the leg muscles are supposed to work.
I've seen both these exercises being done in the Collingwood gym via the snippets we see on the Collingwood website. Any decent gym instructor knows this. Not at Collingwood apparently.

The proper way to strengthen your legs are deadlifts and full-range squats. Full squats because you need to engage the full set of muscles that all complement each other. Front squats are the way to go here because it forces your body to get into the right position.
Traditional heavy half-squats are no good for your back, and also promote an imbalance in the leg muscles. Again, I've seen these being done by Pies players.

I'm wondering who at Collingwood determines the weight-training program. I assume not White. (There are several other strength and conditioning staff.)
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 am

Skids wrote:
MemberNo118 wrote:
Damien wrote:
I don’t think it’s our sports science guys. We’ve had several in that role. Once you do hammies there is always s chance of reoccurrence. Unfortunately we have several players in that category.

Who is it then?

It's occurred for 6 straight years.

The individual.

Elliot has back/hammy history. That shit, if you're prone to it, doesn't just go away.

We need to send Billy to the German doc we sent Reid to.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

Skids wrote:
MemberNo118 wrote:
Damien wrote:
I don’t think it’s our sports science guys. We’ve had several in that role. Once you do hammies there is always s chance of reoccurrence. Unfortunately we have several players in that category.

Who is it then?

It's occurred for 6 straight years.

The individual.

Elliot has back/hammy history. That shit, if you're prone to it, doesn't just go away.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 pm

dalyc wrote:

He is not without his own controversy. And seeing him twice does not seem to have helped Freeman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: