Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

[Re. previous 17 posts:]
Surely the alleged deficiencies of Crocker, Greenwood, et al. are not due to Buckley's coaching...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Well, people ask questions and they get answered - it doesn't mean that the answers are intended to convey that Buckley can'r coach just because the question is in this thread. I don't think Buckley is responsible for anything much that happened yesterday - the team is full of holes because it has too many injuries and, as a consequence, too little talent. Surely, though, people can have a discussion about such matters if it arises in this thread?
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
McLarty.

Great hindsight comment. Didn’t hear you or anyone calling for him before the game. He’s also done heaps in the VFL.

If you’ve got a contribution, feel free to make it.

Crocker is better than mclarty

Not in the role of a key forward/ruck he isn't and that is exactly what we lost with Cox.

And would you trust McLarty to fill that role & do a good job in his first game against one of the best defenses in the afl?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 am

M. Gleeson:

"Richmond is the best team but oddly they are not the best team to exploit a Collingwood weakness. In theory, North Melbourne was better placed than Richmond to do so, and they fell tremendously short.

West Coast were better placed than Richmond to do it, and they picked open that frailty with ruthless efficiency last week.

Richmond plays with a 1-5 forward set up, with Jack Riewoldt as the one. ... If Moore can persuade his body to work for him not against him this week, he would most likely take Riewoldt, just because he would take on the best of the big forwards of any team.

Richmond tends not to play another tall forward, so wouldn't stretch Collingwood’s defence. But they have a spread of fast small forwards and these have been Collingwood’s Achilles heel more than tall forwards.

Collingwood’s attack is as unconventional as Richmond’s. Few other teams play with one key and a remainder of smalls like Richmond. No other team has a 213-centimetre American and a late-arriving journeyman VFL role player as their talls, and then a bunch of ‘‘tall-smalls’’, the 188-centimetre fast medium-sized forwards who are good overhead.

Mason Cox was missing last week and his return proved again how important he has become to Collingwood structurally to have that big target who marks, gets a free for arm chopping or holding, or brings the ball to ground.

De Goey plays more forward than Martin and is as dangerous as the Tiger's star when playing as a forward. He has yet to prove he can be as reliably effective as a midfielder. Martin’s field kicking is better, he opens the game up and penetrates deep forward with 60-metre flat passes. Richmond’s approach has been to start Martin as a midfielder and then go forward from the bounce. Most teams tend to roll a midfielder off him, and a defender onto him when forward, but he loses opponents in transition.

Collingwood could consider playing Levi Greenwood on Martin all over the ground. Greenwood is a rare tagger strong enough overhead to be comfortable isolated deep in defence. Nathan Buckley tends not to like tagging one player (unless it is Greenwood on Joel Selwood) because of the effect it has on the positioning and roles of other players, but could consider it with Martin.

They both like fast ball movement and have been troubled by the slow possession games of other teams, but are unlikely to get that from each other. Richmond tends to handball the ball forward more than Collingwood, while Collingwood’s non-key forwards are mid-sized players and stronger overhead than Richmond’s. Collingwood doesn’t have an Alex Rance at the other end. But who does?"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/4-points-best-of-enemies-working-from-the-same-playbook-20180722-p4zsyt.html

[Comment: quite a few Gleeson claims don't seem right to me. e.g. I've never seen Martin kick "60-metre flat passes", at least not ones that went to a teammate, and possibly not even ones that went to an opponent... unless by "60-metre flat passes" Gleeson means 45m tumbling chaos balls that bounce another 15m, possibly causing the defence ground-level difficulties.]
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 am

https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2018/clip-cjjy9xh6x000n0gp7ddlfbn43/a69c111b-d9af-46a4-90af-5ab059eb06a2

[17min interview]

Summary, ~5min mark (not literal quote):
"I haven't changed."
"The club needed to change." Shocked

Names WHE, JS, JT...
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:15 am

Answer to thread title : no, our thinking has caught up.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 pm

K wrote:
https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2018/clip-cjjy9xh6x000n0gp7ddlfbn43/a69c111b-d9af-46a4-90af-5ab059eb06a2

[17min interview]

Summary, ~5min mark (not literal quote):
"I haven't changed."
"The club needed to change." Shocked

Names WHE, JS, JT...

In fairness, he states that he hasn't changed as a person and that he still has the same qualities that make him who he is. It doesn't mean that he hasn't changed the way he goes about it...

And the talk about the club needing to change was in the context of him weighing up (last year) whether he still wanted to coach this year. He identified several areas of change that needed to be implemented by the club...what's wrong with that? We all knew that changes were needed on several fronts - if they weren't to change the coach then certainly the structures around the coach needed to change, which they did...

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:27 pm

^ Well, they ask him questions, so he has to say something. (He can deflect by joking --- always a good strategy --- which he did a bit, but one still needs to say something.) But it seems he's offended (without obviously showing it) by the suggestion he's changed, because that suggests he was doing things wrong in the past. (And, heck, if that's so why did it take him so many years to change?)

There's nothing wrong with answering a question. It just seems he blamed the club for the on-field failures --- which may be justified, but it's noteworthy when the coach basically says it so clearly. (And, again, why would it take the club so many years to get its handling of the football department right?)
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:12 pm

What’s changed is the developed talent base. WHE, Thomas, Stephenson, Scharenberg and Phillips and Cox and JdG are all a quantum leap ahead of where they were last year. I don’t think this is Buckley’s game day coaching, it’s his rebuild coming to fruition.

Talent makes coaches, not the other way around, and talent has to be built over time. Pagan and Malthouse proved the point at Carlton.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:15 pm

NB was right to mention WHE, JS in the interview. Without them, the forward line would be dysfunctional again. That's nothing to do with coaching, though it is good recruitment.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:54 pm

If Bucks stays hands-off we are a sniff at a flag here. Leave em with Budda all week.
No more media. Leave it all to Walshy Adams and occasionally Pendles if he can be F'd.
No more stupid weekend hubris tweeting ffs.
Place JDG under house-arrest from R22 on.
Nothing racist or sexist from el Presidente and we will give this a fair dinkum tilt.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
If Bucks stays hands-off we are a sniff at a flag here. Leave em with Budda all week.
No more media. Leave it all to Walshy Adams and occasionally Pendles if he can be F'd.
No more stupid weekend hubris tweeting ffs.
Place JDG under house-arrest from R22 on.
Nothing racist or sexist from el Presidente and we will give this a fair dinkum tilt.

And Richmond, Port, Geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, GWS suffer plenty of injuries and we get everyone back...
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:53 am

Do it for your birthday Bucks
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:39 pm

What Nathan and Co have created this year is a game template that our players have bought into. Whoever comes in knows their role and basically our running patterns for support, and angles going forward have allowed us to keep our structure and vibe regardless of personnel. I point to the WC game as the aberration, with Cox not there. But the greater aberration was the 30 odd tackles. That showed that we were tired, most likely due to increased loads.

I still have faith that we can win it this year, mainly because our parts that will come in will play their roles.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 pm

To go all the way, we'll need De Goey and probably Treloar back in our side and in good form. Even having De Goey alone, with Howe playing out the game, we would have beaten the Tigers. We have a great side and a great coach. Only anti-Collingwood bias would prevent Bucks from winning coach of the year, given where we were expected to finish by the 'experts' pre-season, and the horrific injury run we have had to contend with. Throughout it all, Bucks has remained resolute and confident in our team. Bucks, I salute you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 24 of 35   

Jump to: