Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing a smile on his face made my night.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 am

Mods - disappointed you merged my 'Congratulations to Nathan Buckley' with this one. [I get why you might do it, but I think on this occasion you are wrong].

Seriously after all the shit thrown at Bucks, our coach deserves to have a thread publicly congratulating him. Just my opinion anyway.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:46 am

With you all the way RudeBoy. It takes a man of very strong character to cope with all the criticism he has copped from all sides. Quite simply, he's not a quitter and the team has always embodied this philosophy under him, despite not having the wins on the board.
I have a poster of him on my wall that shows him leading the team out in one of those GF's against Brisbane (Anthony Rocca, Paul Licuria and Alan Didak behind him). It says "Those with the Most Invested are the Last to Surrender". He's a man who has invested so much of his life to Collingwood over the years.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 am

Jezza wrote:
Seeing a smile on his face made my night.

Love it!!
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 am

Cam wrote:
The proof of the pudding is in the pudding - Guru Bob

The litmus test games will be against the Bombers, Dogs, Norths, Suns and Saints of this world. Enough selling hope, we need Ws.

You didn't include Adelaide in this list Cam? Did you think it would be too ridiculous to suggest we might win it or should win it?

Is this W good enough for you???? Or since it isn't a litmus test game, should we dismiss it?

E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
[ fundamentally he has the right instincts even if he has made mistakes.

Travis Cloke said in his recent interview that Bucks has an amazing football brain, equal to the best. Trav then added rather sheepishly that the trouble is he can make things too complicated, because "some of us footballers are pretty dumb". He said that with a smile.

A wise man once said that a strategy you can’t execute is as bad as having no strategy at all, and ultimately it is up to the coach or leader to translate messages into terms that the average worker can understand. So finally, that too rests at Nathan's door. If that has been an issue in the past, maybe he is learning about that too.

I don’t want to suggest that Buckley has been a great coach. He has obviously had his flaws, and they were inevitable as he has learned from a low base under difficult conditions. I just think he has improved and he gets the best out of a flawed list at present. The good news is that the list is finally improving markedly, and so will his record as it does so.

Or another way to put it is that the measure of ones mastery and understanding of a concept is how well one can communicate the concept to others, even if they don't think the same as you (or aren't as intelligent as you, to put it in more crude terms).

All well and good to have the best plans ever laid out, but the implementation ultimately rests with the buy-in and understanding of those at the coal face

It appears there was some buy-in and understanding at the Coal Face wouldn't you say Crackerjack?

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 am

Onya Bux and assistant coaches, you pulled the crows game apart and have us playing a great brand. Things are building nicely, our premiership window is open 💪
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:33 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Onya Bux and assistant coaches, you pulled the crows game apart and have us playing a great brand. Things are building nicely, our premiership window is open 💪

Biggest call of the night!! Well done 3 votes!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 am

I love the pic Jezza posted shows the human side of the coach
I think we are seeing the evolution of a guy who as coach has had to reinvent himself both in coaching philosophy and his own philosophical manner he carried himself in his early days as a coach.
The buckleynwe see now is very different to the Buckley of 2012-2016.
His intense facial expressions and his consistent unwillingness to changes things during the game or on a weekly basis has been replaced with a coach who now understands more about his team and has surrounded himself with people who's strengths cover for his limitations.
During the preseason there was a clip shown of Budda hocking and a coupe,of the other assistants and staff filling a wheelie bin full of water balloons and then ambushing the players when they took a break on a very hot day. You could see Buckley in the background laughing and even pointing to who to throw the next water balloon at.
Now not only did it break up the hard training cooling the players off it gave the players a mental rest and something to laugh about as a group after training.
Buckley spent a lot of the preseason watching and talking to players 1 on 1 letting the assistants take training more often.
Yes he should have learnt someone after several years in the job but considering the nature of his personality as a player to transform himself takes loads of self belief and honesty with yourself

If we see continual improvement of this team over the course of the season and a coach who backs his players to do different roles then I'm confident a much brighter future awaits
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:28 am

^ I'm not entirely sold on the "have fun" mantra that seemed to be so emphasised in the pre-season.
Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:34 am

Seth wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
We beat Carlton.

They might well finish bottom 2.

Some perspective please.

Yeah true. If we start to beat top 8 teams then might have a different opinion. Until then, it was only Carlton who will finish bottom 2.

Well this is one top 8 team so far, good start. As a critic I hope the tide is turning.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 am

Great to see the team do so well last night (even though I personally had to crash at half time... my work takes its toll, so I was glad to wake up this morning and see we hadn't faded).

Well done to the lads for sticking to the game plan Bucks and his team had put up for this game.

I've had my doubts and with good reason, BUT, if we continue to play as we did last night - consistency throughout the rest of the season, then personally I'll stop throwing spears. Consistency is the key.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Great to see the team do so well last night (even though I personally had to crash at half time... my work takes its toll, so I was glad to wake up this morning and see we hadn't faded).

Well done to the lads for sticking to the game plan Bucks and his team had put up for this game.

I've had my doubts and with good reason, BUT, if we continue to play as we did last night - consistency throughout the rest of the season, then personally I'll stop throwing spears. Consistency is the key.

And that's a fair call wolfie.
I know you don't hate Buckley your frustration comes from wanting success at Collingwood and that's what we all want
Mate the next game is the most important then the next most important game is the one after that and so forth. Each game is important to build on what they did the previous week.
I know there will be some ups and down its a long season and players can't be at there best every week but if we see more improvement every week sooner than later we will see results more commonly like last night and less like round 1
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 am

We’ll wait and see if anything has changed. The one thing Buckley has been great at is getting these upset wins before getting flogged by a bottom side the next week
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:07 am

K wrote:
^ I'm not entirely sold on the "have fun" mantra that seemed to be so emphasised in the pre-season.
whatever works! It worked last night! The boys looked like they were lovin it and played like they wanted it, it was bloody FUN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 5 of 35   

Jump to: