Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
To go all the way, we'll need De Goey and probably Treloar back in our side and in good form. Even having De Goey alone, with Howe playing out the game, we would have beaten the Tigers. We have a great side and a great coach. Only anti-Collingwood bias would prevent Bucks from winning coach of the year, given where we were expected to finish by the 'experts' pre-season, and the horrific injury run we have had to contend with. Throughout it all, Bucks has remained resolute and confident in our team. Bucks, I salute you.

Yep. If the trio of De Goey, Treloar and Moore are in our 22 for the finals, we are a genuine chance to beat anyone. Assuming we don't lose any other key players. Even some chance if Treloar doesn't make it (the least likely of the three).

Paul Roos said the other day that when he was coaching, Collingwood were just about the toughest team you could face, but only for a quarter here or there. This year, he's seeing us sustain that for longer. He said over 4 quarters, but I'd disagree and say it's mostly been over 3 quarters. A closer to full complement of players and we can extend the effort that bit further and beat the very best. We're going to need the planets to align though, as field any underdone players come finals and they'll be found out.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm

I reckon Bucks might put a closer watch on Jayden Short next time we play the tigers.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
I reckon Bucks might put a closer watch on Jayden Short next time we play the tigers.

At least it happened now and not in the finals.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 am

Cam wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

At least it happened now and not in the finals.

Well , that remains to be seen, but we'd like to think something has been learnt from that (among other things)

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:43 am

I agree the 2 Shoet goals hurt us but someone tell me this
If one of our players followed Short into the protected zone where he receives the ball wouldn't he be pinged first giving them 50m ?
That's the oddity with the rule
The net result would have been the same on both occasions a goal
Considering the injuries we incurred during the game and having to restructure on the run I thought he coached quite well
Cotchin had no impact, we held Martin for the whole of the first half, Rance had little impact, Caddy was barely sighted
That's 4 key planks we did well on
We are yet to play these guys on a even footing
We've never had our best 22 on the field and we've failed to finish the game with 22 players available for rotations
Both times it was only at the death they got us
I actually believe we were the better side for 3/4 on both occasions
But it is what it is
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:01 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I agree the 2 Shoet goals hurt us but someone tell me this
If one of our players followed Short into the protected zone where he receives the ball wouldn't he be pinged first giving them 50m ?

That’s a really good question. And even if it’s not the case according to the letter of the law, the umpiring of it is so draconian at times that players would understandably be very unwilling to risk it.

Last edited by David on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 am

That is a hypothetical question.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 am

As long as you are within 5 metres of an opponent, you can follow them ANYWHERE. Through the mark, in the protected zone, etc.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 am

^ What, really? That's the first I've heard of it! Wasn't that what cost Melbourne the 1987 preliminary final, Jim Stynes following his opponent through the mark?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
To go all the way, we'll need De Goey and probably Treloar back in our side and in good form. Even having De Goey alone, with Howe playing out the game, we would have beaten the Tigers. We have a great side and a great coach. Only anti-Collingwood bias would prevent Bucks from winning coach of the year, given where we were expected to finish by the 'experts' pre-season, and the horrific injury run we have had to contend with. Throughout it all, Bucks has remained resolute and confident in our team. Bucks, I salute you.

Yep. If the trio of De Goey, Treloar and Moore are in our 22 for the finals, we are a genuine chance to beat anyone. Assuming we don't lose any other key players. Even some chance if Treloar doesn't make it (the least likely of the three).

Paul Roos said the other day that when he was coaching, Collingwood were just about the toughest team you could face, but only for a quarter here or there. This year, he's seeing us sustain that for longer. He said over 4 quarters, but I'd disagree and say it's mostly been over 3 quarters. A closer to full complement of players and we can extend the effort that bit further and beat the very best. We're going to need the planets to align though, as field any underdone players come finals and they'll be found out.

If you look at some of our wins this year we've been able to break away from teams in the last quarter. What we lack against the top few teams is a bit of strength at the contest which is accentuated by njuries to key players on the field. A criticism of Buckley if you want to call it that is that the luck doesn't seem to run with him.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

If you look at some of our wins this year we've been able to break away from teams in the last quarter. What we lack against the top few teams is a bit of strength at the contest which is accentuated by injuries to key players on the field. A criticism of Buckley if you want to call it that is that the luck doesn't seem to run with him.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:04 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
As long as you are within 5 metres of an opponent, you can follow them ANYWHERE. Through the mark, in the protected zone, etc.

It was my understanding you can never cross the mark - ever and it's an auto 50 - Has this changed?

As for the protected zone its a good question.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

You’ve ALWAYS been able to follow an opponent through the mark.

Jimmy Stynes simply ran through.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am

Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but I've never seen an opponent running through the mark without being penalised – whereas I've seen plenty peel off when the guy they're manning does.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am

David wrote:
Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but I've never seen an opponent running through the mark without being penalised – whereas I've seen plenty peel off when the guy they're manning does.

You’re definitely not watching closely enough.

Happens regularly enough. You’ll often see the opposition point to his opponent so the umpire knows he’s within 5m.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 25 of 35   

Jump to: