Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 10 personnel changes between the team that played on Anzac Day 2017 and the one that played yesterday. Out: Adams (Thomas), Broomhead (Stephenson), Elliott (De Goey), Fasolo (Crocker), Goldsack (Murray), Greenwood (Brown), Moore (Scharenberg), Schade (Dunn), Wells (Aish) and Ramsay (Langdon).

Although I've tried to nominate a "replacement" for each of the players that didn't play, it's not that simple because a number of the players who played in both games played in a different spot (eg, Reid).

Of the players who did not play yesterday, at least 5 would have been expected to play if they'd been fit and in form (Adams, Elliott, Fasolo, Moore and Wells) and 2 of the others would also be best 22 or close to it (Goldsack, Fasolo).

Accordingly, I don't think the names "on paper" yesterday were clearly "better" than the 2017 Anzac Day team, so on that measure it looks like the coaching is better now than 12 months ago.

It's easy to see why the backline had less than half as many goals kicked against it (15 last year, 7 yesterday) - Goldsack was playing back pocket because someone had to whereas Murray is there by deliberate recruitment choice, Schade was a one-year insurance policy and Langdon and Scharenberg replaced Ramsay and allowed Reid to go forward. Also, although I am not interested in Essendon's team changes, Fantasia did some damage last year (4 goals) but was missing yesterday and Green kicked 3 goals last year and did a hammy yesterday.

It's harder to see why the forward line was more effective (14.17 to 11.16) with yesterday's personnel than the 2017 edition - especially when you factor in that 7 of last year's 11 Anzac Day goals were kicked by 3 missing players that would be preferred starters (Moore 2, Wells 2, Elliott 3). The answer seems to be that the present mix of players is performing more effectively within a better structure. Of the "ins", Stephenson is obviously important to that - his pace unsettles defenders more than many "defensive" forwards because he is also very dangerous with ball in hand but I think Crocker's role in locking down defensively and punishing physically has probably been important, too. We'd still obviously all want a fit Elliott back in the team in an instant but the present forward line output does seem to be a case of the coaching staff making the best of a relatively "weak" hand.

The other substantial change is the disposal efficiency of the team as a whole. We were just under 80% yesterday (as were Essendon - but a lot of theirs came from the "padding" kicks sideways and back in defence). To put some flesh on that, everyone except Varcoe, Thomas, Stephenson, WHE and Reid went at 75% or better. Down back, three of the inclusions (Scharenberg 100%, Murray, 86% and Langdon 84%) were in our top 4 (only Pendlebury at 93% split them). Special mention needs to be made of Maynard's improvement in the second half yesterday. His DE was poor to half time (7 kicks, 4 clangers) but he finished up with 80% for the day. I don't have the quarter by quarter breakdown but he must have been nearly perfect after halftime. That's encouraging.

So, certainly the team is working better, as a whole, despite the relatively weak-looking forward lineup on paper.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 am

From his post match talk and demeanour highest only appear his goal

After two great wins of around eight goals his comment abiet dour on Anzac win

Against Adelaide we hit 85 -90 but against Essendon 65-70 he said

Gee I was ecstatic with both —-he appeared still wanting better

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 am

I started this thread not to critique Buckley again it was actually as a personal opinion I held since late last season watching our improved performances
I'm no AFL expert I listen to the former players and coaches who obviously have more knowledge than me then I apply my own eye test. Do I see what they are saying basically.
I was involved in professional sport (admittedly as a bean counter in the back of the operation) but I was exposed to coaches, players & training guys for many years.
Over this time dealing with them you could always sense how things were going by the demeanour of the players and staff and this showed in many ways.
I noticed late last season Buckley was more relaxed especially given his contract situation and this rubbed off on his players. They seemed to play without the outside pressure and were free to take the game on.
We saw consistent better performances and whilst the results didn't all go our way there was a marked improvement giving us confidence.
Enter preseason 2018 and I was reading the great reports from Warburton Lad and others and it highlighted the fact that training had become far more footy focused and they players seemed to be thriving under the rejuvenated & new coaches. They were having fun hilts working hard which from experience is a good mix.
I went and watched them on the Gold Coast for a few hours and this was again highlighted. Guys like Hocking was very active within the group handing out sprays and compliments in equal doses & Buckley was watching this unfold showing a relaxed manner taking everything on board.
Round 1 was a shock I expected us to come out with this new brand and really set our season up. It didn't appear for whaever reason.
Since then each week we have seen the hard work from the preseason start showing up more and more in each game.
Buckley as head coach gets credit because his ultimately responsible for everything that happens.
But I feel the addition of Longmuir, Hocking & Maxy have really given the group and club a real,boost.
I was really pumped with Maxy coming home because he to me is what Collingwood is all about. He played with heart at all times and was never our best player but made up for it in his willingness to do what was best for the team at all times. He's a just a champion person and experience tells me you can never have enough good people involved at the highest level.
WEve recruited the run and speed we've been craving for years and this has opened up our options. A wise coach once said there's 2 things you can't coach and that's raw speed and footy smarts. They either have them or they don't.
The final piece was the playing group. We had to have improvement in the second tier players and consistent performances from the top tier players.
Each game this season we've had players doing roles for the benefit of the team first even if it isn't there natural role (think Pendles and Sidey) then you have players like Aish Scharenberg Thomas Stephenson Murray Crisp Phillips Brown all play vital roles at different times. It's w truely shared approach to team first.
Finally we've been smart whether that's been by design or by chance but we've found a formula to be a better scoring side. The rotation of the running midfielders through the forward line coupled with a far better method of entries has seen us become a far more dangerous team. Treloar Thomas Stephenson WHE Sidey have all kicked important goals at various times.
I'm looking forward to watching the continued evolution of this team. I'm not naive enough to think we are going to win every game or be at our best every week but if we continue to see the consistent effort and players playing for each other I'm sure there will be more good days than bad
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 am

In the last few games the contrast in our defensive setup and application to the apparent disarray of the last few seasons is stark. Why is this? Is it a change in plan/system? Or are the players finally getting it? With a few new players in the system you might think it must be a change in plan and structure. I'm just not sure. We seem to be a difficult team now to move the ball against and I'm not sure I've seen a coast-to-coaster against us this season. Keep it up!
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am

I can see Bucks listening to his assistants like Hardwick. A big tick to who ever installed the game plan and the backline coach who ever he is doing a great job and also the forward line coach
Hm Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am

2018 fixture review "The Pies will face five of this year's finalists in the first eight rounds, repeating the nightmare that was served to them 2017 when they played each of last year's top-four sides in that same period." Finishing 13th gives us like the Tigers last year and bulldogs the previous year a softer draw. Yet we have already played 2 teams who finished in the top 1-6 and 3 who were finalists. Given that tough start and we are sitting 5th I think is an even bigger plus
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:15 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The past is the past, but right now I'm very disappointed that too few Nicksters are willing to congratulate Bucks on his coaching in 2018.

I've been a consistent supporter of Bucks, because he has always impressed me as being intelligent, honest and straight with people. With Bucks there's no spin or bullshit. He tells it how it is, whether people like it or not. Some in the media and amongst many supporters have found his style dull and boring. I've always found it refreshing and inspirational. But that's me I guess.

The manner of his appointment as coach and the obvious divisions within our club clearly sabotaged his first 2-3 years as coach, and then he had to deal with a combination of continuing instability with a revolving door of heads of our footy department as well as a shocking run with injuries to key players. Finally, in the second half of last year the team began to find its mojo and Bucks now seems to have taken his team to another level altogether.

But regardless of whether you think Bucks was a good or bad coach in previous years, it would be good to see a few more Nicksters give Bucks credit for the great job he is doing so far in 2018.

well id jumped off, and i can honestly say, goodonya Bucks, youve done a magnificent job, im still in shock!!

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 pm

The little engine that could... I think I can, I think I can...

Now we KNOW he can!
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:07 pm

This is the first season for years I haven't seen haters come on Nicks and bag Bucks.

Now this:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-collingwood-will-make-finals-in-2018-20180426-p4zbsu.html

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The past is the past, but right now I'm very disappointed that too few Nicksters are willing to congratulate Bucks on his coaching in 2018.

But regardless of whether you think Bucks was a good or bad coach in previous years, it would be good to see a few more Nicksters give Bucks credit for the great job he is doing so far in 2018.

Of course, excluding the round one shit-festa, Bucks and the other coaches have all stepped up, along with the players.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Damien wrote:
K wrote:
Damien wrote:
... Categorically Yes. I also think he’s taken a leaf out of Hardwicks book from last year and is listening to the guys that have been brought in around him. No proof. Just a hunch. Maybe Hocking and Longmuir are having a positive influence.

The club as a whole seems to have taken the easy leaves out of the Richmond book, while arguably ignoring some of the more difficult and perhaps more important leaves.

You’ll need to clarify your statement mate. How have we taken the easy leaves?

Given our next opponent, perhaps I should say at least something before being biased by whatever the result is...

Well, Damien, I should say that, from memory of previous threads, I think it's fair to say that I have a much lower opinion of Richmond's on-field achievements than you do. Given that, I do not actually advocate copying everything Richmond or Hardwick did, whether easy or difficult. (What matters is whether it's effective for Collingwood.) Also, some or many of these issues are straying beyond the topic of this thread, Buckley's coaching (so elaboration may be better put in other threads).

TBC... (but I'd say quickly that the "have more fun" mantra that seems to have been picked up from Richmond is in the "easy" category, whereas admin changes that we have heard no news on are in the "hard" category --- though they're not really hard at all, but merely hard for certain people).
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:19 pm

No matter what happens against the Tigers I don't think any rationally minded person would begrudge the coaching panel a loss after a 4 day break against the reigning premiers after two sterling wins and one sensational one. See what happens the month after.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 am

Full credit to Bucks and the coaching staff. Having a settled side, despite the injuries has no doubt helped.

At 3/3 or 4/2 we have done exceptionally well thus far given our tough draw.

The draw really opens up for us from here and that is the real test now, to win the games we should be winning.

Do that and we are finals bound.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am

Do what and we are finals bound?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 am

Cam wrote:
No matter what happens against the Tigers I don't think any rationally minded person would begrudge the coaching panel a loss after a 4 day break against the reigning premiers after two sterling wins and one sensational one. See what happens the month after.

Cam you’ve been around here long enough to know that anything less than a win today will bring out the critics of Bucks and co in their droves. You did say ‘rationally minded’ though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 11 of 35   

Jump to: