Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, we've had 4 ticks and one cross this season. If performance is attributed to the coach, then Bucks is doing a pretty good job.

We are certainly competing and looking very organised.

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm

It doesn’t matter how many games or even premierships we win under Buckley, it is abundantly clear that some people just don’t like him and are just waiting for the next opportunity to bag him. As long as we keep the nutters away from the board and decision making roles in the club then it doesn’t matter.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
It doesn’t matter how many games or even premierships we win under Buckley, it is abundantly clear that some people just don’t like him and are just waiting for the next opportunity to bag him. As long as we keep the nutters away from the board and decision making roles in the club then it doesn’t matter.

I've never said I don't like him and don't want him. I've said he's made some mistakes and maybe someone else could do better. At the moment I think he's doing a great job and nothing should change. All credit too to the assistant coaches who are doing a great job. We should never lose sight that the club is a team effort where individuals are working together for the good of the club. Buckley is one part of the greater equation.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:11 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:

Instead of crying wolf just tell the truth. Don't make stuff up.
Your(😂😂) wrong again

Learn to spell

Tell tha trooth😂😂
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Nobody hates him, I’ve never seen anyone say it, really over that comment
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:

Instead of crying wolf just tell the truth. Don't make stuff up.
Your(😂😂) wrong again

Learn to spell

Tell tha trooth😂😂

We really should discuss this in person Wink

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Mugwump wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Redlight wrote:

I think we all need to realise that we cannot not make these judgements accurately from this side of the fence. We do not know more than the AFL professionals that work with him day in and day out. He didn't survive this long and remain as coach (even after a review) because he speaks well. .

I believe this one of the most significant statements made throughout the whole Buckley debate.

No-one here (as far as I can determine anyway) knows what actually goes on within the four walls of the club. Posters can theorize and guess about Bucks and his football brain, his attitude, his techniques, his personality etc etc all they want, but really, none of us have much idea.

Even Paul Roos, who strikes me as one of the most arrogant commentators around, acknowledged last night that no-one really knows how a coach is performing on the inside of the club.

In truth, no one really knows inside the club for certain, either. Ultimately, results have to come, and they come from sound people following sound processes. But no one can be precise as to the timing of when things will turn, and no one can be certain -in advance of the actual results - whether the processes and people are sound. It is an act of faith and judgement. This is true in business and many other spheres of human activity, and it is true in football.

Two seasons ago there were suggestions in the media, from a number of we’ll-credentialled judges, that Collingwood were building “a dynasty” and about to be a major force. I think Buckley thought so too, and it is why he made his infamous “no way I will remain coach if we do not make finals” comment.

Prediction is a matter of probabilities, never certainty. Only when something has happened do we tell ourselves that it was predictable and certain. It’s one of the many delusions that accompanies being human.

I continue to have enough faith and judgement that Buckley and the team that is developing, and the processes they are learning, can get the job done - but the wheels could certainly fall off again. It would not surprise me to see us lose our next two games, at which point doom and despair will again descend over this board, though little will have changed in the fundamentals.

This a superb post IMHO Mugwump. Can so no more.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 am

^ Thanks PP. you’ve always been one of the people who got it, and understood that patience and leadership would pay in the end. I don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves, but it’s great to think that we may be starting to collect. If - a big IF - Buckley can win a premiership with this side in the next few years it’ll be the sweetest of the three I have seen. It’d be wonderful to see him get the success he deserves.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am

^ Amen to that
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 am

I wonder how many of those who were bemoaning the state of our list just a month or two ago were also part of the group who have used this perception to defend Buckley over recent seasons?

For me this is the crux of the endless debate over Buckley and why no clear winner will ever be declared because it all comes down to whether you believe we have under performed or performed to the level of the talent available in recent seasons.

In reality perhaps we have all been right and wrong, with Buckley now a good coach as of last season but one who had a lot more to learn on the job than everyone including himself appreciated at the beginning.

The list to while having genuine top end talent available from the time he took over in 2012 and some prized early draft picks since has for various reasons seemingly not lived up to the potential on paper because of injury, coaching development and disharmony in the early stages of Buckley's tenure.

Suddenly though names like Grundy, Sidebottom, Crisp, Scharenberg, Aish, Thomas, Brown, Murray and Stephenson are either in career best form or young players making a difference to the team compared to last season.

Throw in Adams, de Goey, Maynard, Moore, Elliott, Phillips, Cox, Treloar, Langdon, Crocker and WHE among others and you have plenty of likely best 22 types all capable of potentially being better senior players in coming months than they are right now.

A multitude of players that jump a level in the performance in the one season is generally the key ingredient that suddenly turns a pretender into a contender and it's what helped drive Richmond and the Western Bulldogs to Premiership success.

Buckley himself has talked about coaching being a collective effort in modern day football and with the review we might have delivered the necessary assistant talent that can implement his game plan as desired and provide improved development.

Rightly or wrongly Caracella was given a lot of credit for the success at Richmond last season and perhaps it's Longmuir the coach responsible for our defensive structures who is working wonders also.

Only those inside the club would know whether he acts purely within the structure of Buckley's plan or has been given the green light by the senior coach to implement changes of his own.

Either way it's a tick for Buckley.

Of course with better structures in place it makes it easier to transition the ball because players gain more confidence in there teammates ability to be in the place required to receive or to cover for them if a turnover ensues.

How we transition now also has more focus on handball.

Was this implemented to reduce our exposure to turnovers by scrappy foot skills?

I believe we saw the birth of this shift in play last season but we simply didn't implement it cleanly enough as to often our handballs missed the target, were to a player under immediate pressure, flat footed or simply to close.

This year however we are seeing more handballs to advantage, to players on the move, we are keeping better separation and when under pressure we hit our target more often than not.

This is a big tick for Buckley, the coaching panel and players.

Finally whether it's by our own design trained for over summer, a fortunate side affect of having so many forwards sidelined, the influence of the Richmond brand or all of the above we are now taking a more dynamic approach to our forward line entries and the personnel within, we're lowering our eyes more and becoming far less predictable because of it.

Of course with improved structures and transition should come better forward entries because players have more time and space to weigh up options.

This is a big tick for Buckley, the coaching panel and players also.

It's taken longer than I imagined but we finally look to have a brand, to have real cohesion between our defence, midfield and forward line divisions and are beginning to see the talent on our list shine.

What's that old saying?

Better late than never.

We're back baby.

Go Pies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwmVfewqu7I

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:55 am

I've long felt our list is nowhere near as badly as said, but was used as an excuse for piss poor coaching and lack of game plan.

Maybe this year we have got some good assistants and Bucks has let them change the team for the better, but its a long way to go and we might have to play some decent teams at some stage. Plus we got beaten badly by Hawthorn who are up and down and did our typical strong showing without winning against GWS
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 am

I think a multitude of factors have contributed to our good start.

We didn't make too many list changes in the off-season compared to other years so we have quite a settled list, and the new recruits in Murray and Stephenson have slotted into the team beautifully with their pace which is a deficiency we had for a number of years especially with Nathan Freeman not being able to play due to lengthy injuries in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

There's no doubt that Buckley is a better coach now than he was in 2012. The circumstances of his coaching career were very unconventional and it's something that needs to be taken into account to analyse his tenure, especially as he had not undertaken a proper coaching apprenticeship to begin with, which then forced him to learn on the job. He started his coaching career with a team at the top of the ladder, and a team that had arguably just peaked and was inevitably going to decline which he oversaw for a number of years.

Buckley's first two years as coach was with a list that he inherited from Malthouse and he largely persisted with in the idea that he could snag a flag with them. At the end of 2013, he and others in the club decided that the list in his disposal was not good enough to win a flag and therefore we required a rebuild which has meant four years of no finals. It's had a lot of bumps and doubts along the way, but I'm hoping that we're finally out of the woods and on the way up now.

I admit I was always 50/50 on whether Bucks should have stayed or not at the end of last year, but I admire the club for being ambitious to stick with him when a lot of others would have moved him on. I honestly thought there was a genuine prospect he was gone especially when we were 5 wins and 10 losses and seemingly going nowhere under his coaching leadership.

There's no doubt that the restructuring of his assistants and bringing in new personnel such as Garry Hocking, Justin Longmuir and Matthew Boyd has been massive for the team's fortunes this year and the way we play. It's somewhat similar to how Richmond restructured their football department and brought in new assistants at the end of 2016 to help Hardwick.

I don't think anyone hates Bucks, but there's been rightful criticism that has come his way along the journey. To see this man finally experience a rise with us after many years of decline is something I'm thoroughly enjoying and long may it continue.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 am

It's all about the Ws and Ls and how they come about. One bad L, one good L and two good Ws and one exceptional W is alot better than 0-5. Bucks and friends have got them playing the same tune.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:18 am

swoop42 wrote:

I wonder how many of those who were bemoaning the state of our list just a month or two ago were also part of the group who have used this perception to defend Buckley over recent seasons?

For me this is the crux of the endless debate over Buckley and why no clear winner will ever be declared because it all comes down to whether you believe we have under performed or performed to the level of the talent available in recent seasons.

Not interested in any "winner". But my view has been the coaching has seemed ok but couldn't fairly be judged on performance due to uncontrollable factors like injuries. And I think that's what the review found. For me, last year was a good one with definite improvements on the year before. We were competitive all season but too rarely had a settled lineup to build confidence. Other years unavailability has been more of a problem and we had been playing a lot of young players and were building the list.

This season, those young players we had to play are now a bit more experienced and part of our best 22 or close to it. While players like Grundy have gone to another level.

The improvement I have seen has been in run and organisation. The former has been due to additions over a few years: WHE, Phillips, Stephenson, Crisp, Varcoe, Maynard, Murray, Treloar. We were a poor running team with Sidebottom forced to shoulder too much of the load, that is no longer the case. Improvement in organisation comes over time, pure and simple. Both due to cohesion and to young players gaining the necessary experience. With unsettled lineups cohesion has been tough to come by. Most importantly, our back six has mostly been intact this season, that's not been the case in the last couple. When it was settled later last year, we again saw improved performance, the last month has not come out of the blue.

In the short term, the addition of Stephenson and especially Murray has been huge. We've really never had anyone like Murray before and he's helped to realise the type of movement we've always wanted. But as shown above we've been building this capability for a while and Freeman was another who would have been a game changer. And it's the loss of Freeman and injuries to Scharenberg that set us back. Without this we were well placed to improve earlier. Now with Aish and Scharenberg coming in from that draft and Murray and Stephenson giving us Freeman-like speed we are starting to put it together.

We've always wanted to be a great running side, remember the fitness guy who was building our stamina, possibly resulting in more soft tissue injuries? Remember how we've been criticised for drafting too many runners and not enough talls? Remember when we got rid of all those tall defenders and replaced them with mediums? It's all been to get where we are now: a team that was able to outrun Essendon and Adelaide. The picture's not yet complete, but I think we've been very consistent in the type of player we've chased and the way we've wanted to play.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 am

The past is the past, but right now I'm very disappointed that too few Nicksters are willing to congratulate Bucks on his coaching in 2018.

I've been a consistent supporter of Bucks, because he has always impressed me as being intelligent, honest and straight with people. With Bucks there's no spin or bullshit. He tells it how it is, whether people like it or not. Some in the media and amongst many supporters have found his style dull and boring. I've always found it refreshing and inspirational. But that's me I guess.

The manner of his appointment as coach and the obvious divisions within our club clearly sabotaged his first 2-3 years as coach, and then he had to deal with a combination of continuing instability with a revolving door of heads of our footy department as well as a shocking run with injuries to key players. Finally, in the second half of last year the team began to find its mojo and Bucks now seems to have taken his team to another level altogether.

But regardless of whether you think Bucks was a good or bad coach in previous years, it would be good to see a few more Nicksters give Bucks credit for the great job he is doing so far in 2018.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 10 of 35   

Jump to: