Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies smash Blues - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:50 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

Is there a sense of relief after recording your first win of the season?
Quote:
"Not at all. No relief. Happy to get a win. As you said, we didn't play with much conviction in the second half but our footy in the first half after a slow start was pretty good".

Steele Sidebottom said post match that there was a bit of "reset" or "adjustment" between rounds 1 and 2 after that loss to Hawthorn. Can you share what might have changed in that week, in terms of approach or game plan?
Quote:
"We weren't happy with our effort in round 1. The effort in round 2 was a bit better and today was patchy in that regard and as I said the scoreboard looked really good for us. Potentially we got carried away with that and we lost some of our disciplines with the way we wanted to play and as I said we didn't play with a great conviction in the second half, but we'll take the result".

How pleased are you with Josh Thomas after backing him to produce on the big stage?
Quote:
"He's been really strong through pre-season. He earned his opportunity in front of some other guys that were coming through that midfield role and high-forward roles. Two years out of the game and not playing is a long time and he stuck to it last year and he's just really been able to continue to work his way in. He's got some significant talent, especially in around the ball. He's a great runner, he's an underrated runner. He keeps finding himself in the right spots as he did tonight".

What do you think was the turning point in the first quarter after Carlton got off to a fast start?
Quote:
"I thought we weren't hard enough in the contest early. They got a lot of momentum with their ball use and out of contests. We got outhunted. I just thought we slowly worked our way back into that first quarter and kicked the last four goals of the quarter. The second quarter was really strong and that's the brand we want to see more of. It was a lacklustre second half".

You must be happy with how the forward line is functioning with the likes of Treloar, Sidebottom, Hoskin-Elliott and others resting there at various times?
Quote:
"Yeah, and we'll see how Elliott and De Goey go tomorrow and Fasolo as well. We've got some legitimate options. We just have to continue to find that best mix, not just tall-small. But the right mix of six or seven and how often to use the mids in those roles. We're getting enough supply, so we haven't struggled for supply in the early stages of the year, but we want to convert a little bit better. We scored 9 times from 17 entries in the second [quarter] so that's a little bit better, but we still need to make that a habit rather than a one off".

How important has Sam Murray been and probably given you something you've lacked for a number of years?
Quote:
"Yeah, he definitely has a crack doesn't he. He won't be pushed back off the mark and when he sees the door ajar he pushes his way through it. Him and Crisp and Brayden Maynard, they give us a bit of bounce off the back there and they run quite directly. We love the way he [Murray] takes the game on and he definitely breaks the lines for us which has been handy".

Any concerns with Sidebottom's sling tackle?
Quote:
"I don't know. There's a duty of care and I think he showed a duty of care. I'm glad the player got up and played the rest of the game out as I think that's as significant as anything these days".

A lot of external emphasis on Cox and Reid in terms of producing goals during the week, how pleased were you that the small forwards produced the goals?
Quote:
"I think that Cox and Reid both played their roles pretty well. I thought some of their contests aerially, which has actually been one of our most consistent aspects of our game whether we've had the talls in or we haven't. Aerially, we're winning contested marks as a stat and we look like we were pretty dangerous there. I think that both Cox and Reid competed really well. They provide a bit of structure for us. When you get defended well and you can't shift the ball it's important to go down the line and that's why the big units are there. When JT [Thomas] hits the scoreboard and it was good to see Will [Hoskin-Elliott] jump into the season and he's had a quiet couple of weeks, and it was good to see him to respond to the challenge that was placed on him during the week and we hope he can take further steps from that".

Brodie Grundy would have to be one of the best ruckman going around at the moment?
Quote:
"Yeah, I thought he was particularly good when we got good. Kreuzer had him early and then in that patch when we dominated the game I thought Brodie [Grundy] was dominant and then it was a bit up and down in the second half. We really rate Kreuzer as a ruckman, and we think that not just in clearances but his follow up to the ground ball is probably up there with Grundy's in his ability to do that. His [Grundy] first half was huge and a big part of why we were able to put that gap on the scoreboard".

Were you pleased with Pendles' game? It looks like he played a run with role with Cripps and he did it pretty effectively as well.
Quote:
"Yeah, it was just to nullify his influence at stoppage. I think he [Cripps] ended up with five clearances, and he's a dangerous player. Pendles is disciplined to play that role for us, he had three [clearances] himself. We don't have a real big body like Cripps, so Pendles is probably our biggest midfielder. We've got a few young blokes coming through in Brayden Sier and Rupert Wills and potentially those two boys could come through and be those bigger midfielders if we come up against those guys horses for courses. I think Pendles' disciplined role is unquestioned and his leadership has been first class".

You've stated before that contested ball be the cornerstone of the game. What part of that do you really value? Loose ball, hard ball? Is there an aspect which you place value more than most?
Quote:
"Good question. There's a couple of different elements to it. I think the ground ball gets at the moment, we're in the bottom couple of the league. We're definitely 18th at the end of last week and we lost that stat again tonight. We're scratching our heads about that and we've got to do better. The only quarter that we won ground ball in tonight was the second quarter, so it is something we need to continue to keep an eye on. We've always said it's our DNA, we're a grunt side and we love the contest. We're always trying to balance that up with playing with shape and efficiency. I think our ball use has been better in the last couple of weeks, especially off the back half. We definitely hit up inside 50 a lot better early in the match, but our ground ball numbers need to improve and that generally comes from work rate and cleanliness".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-04-07/buckley-reviews-friday-nights-win

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:34 am

Well folks isn't it a great feeling to give the scum a touch up
There is no better feeling for mine in the home and away season
I didn't get to watch the game love as the wife insisted on me taking her out for her birthday and not checking scores on the phone. Being a good husband I've learned over the past 28yrs it's better to do as I'm told than try thinking for myself. Foxtel IQ is the second greatest invention ever behind beer
I got home after taking the beloved to dinner and we walked into the house and she says ok you've been a good boy go watch your footy so I kissed her and raced to the media room (via the fridge grabbing a couple corona's) and jumped into the recoiling rocker ready
After the first 10 minutes I felt like taking the wife out again for dinner even inviting the mother in law as it seemed the less painful option
Langdon didn't fail to disappoint letting Garlett just kick the 2nd of the game sheppardiing a Collingwood player off the ball who was trying to get to him. Then to add to his goal assists (for the oppostion) he kicked it to a unmarked Kruezer who proceeded to kick it straight back in resulting in there 3rd.
The corona's at this stage didn't seem strong enough so pause and a quick run to the liquor cabinet for something stronger seemed appropriate (hello scotch)
Unpause.
To temper my enjoyment I have to keep thinking we played Carlton and they are horrible but you can only beat what's in front of you.
The next 50 minutes was like a breath of fresh air. It was everything we read and saw in preseason. We took the game on and run carried and harassed them at every opportunity.
The second half as Buckley said in his pressed wasn't great we seemed to go through the motions but still we won and won easy even allowing for a couple junk time goals.
Overall you can never be upset winning any game as they say 4 points is 4 points
Some thoughts.
Sidey was great again tonight but I thought his first 1/4 wasn't as good as many seem. Half of his touches (8 to be precise were soft hand ball give and goes mostly in a negative way) (15 touches for 49 meters gained isn't a great return) but his next 3/4 were stellar. He's inventive around goal and when he was used in the forward line we looked a far more organised and dangerous side. He just has it on a string at the moment. Hi work around the ground was its usual high standard. If anyone still thinks he couldn't be a 40+ goal kicking small forward by only playing 40-50% of gsme time forward is kidding themselves. He's close to our smartest player around goal.Jon Ralph has him getting anywhere from 10 weeks for a early plea to a death sentence if he fights it. I think at absolute worse he gets a week but really should be a fine and warning didn't seem to cause much damage but we've seen the league get harsh on the sling tackle when the players arms are pinned. Hopefully they give him the fine it would be a horrible decision to have his chances of a high Brownlow finish ended in round 3 for that tackle.
Grundy just grows as a player each week. Tonight again proved his the barometer of our fortunes. When he's dominate we play well and look a decent side when he's off even slightly we look less dangerous. Giving us first use of making sure there isn't quick clearances saves our defence. Around the ground and when we're coming from defence he is so dangerous giving us that big target and he plays like a massive body midfielder. I had him as our best player tonight slightly ahead of Sidey just because his work makes sidey's work easier.
Thomas grew in stature tonight showing he can kick goals. That adds to his value in the team. Players like him JDG Varcoe are important because they will get the less talented small defender and need to capitalise on that and punish them on the scoreboard
Murray was great tonight he run great lines supporting his team mates breaking lines and using his leg speed to advantage and taking the game on at all times. I will always forgive a player a error being attacking before I would for playing around and turning it over trying to go backwards or sideways. So far in 3 games he's shown improvement each game hopefully he continues that track.
There was hardly a bad player for us from after the 10 minute mark. Thought most of the players all contributed in a good team win.
Really happy to see Scharenberg Aish continue there improvement. Trelaor and Adams were better tonight thought Trelaor at FF was a good move he still has that burst speed off the mark making him dangerous. Liked Mayanrd and his hard head at it. He's the bull we need around the contest with Adams giving Pendles Sidey Trelaor Murray the chance to use it well
16-4 was a good return in 2 bursts of 7-3 then 9-1 we made the most of our chances
We look good when we play the game on our terms. No one can fault the effort from the guys the last 2 weeks. We've got w couple tough opponents coming up but if we bring our best we are in every game
I'm a happy pie tonight and things can only get better when you think we still have JDG Wells Elliott Faz Moore all ready to return in the coming weeks
If we keep showing the effort like last week and tonight we are at a minimum a hard team to beat and if your slightly off we will beat you
Go the pies
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 am

Monco Matt wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Agree Monco Matt - we'd be well advised not to get ahead of ourselves or get too carried away. Bucks certainly isn't going on his presser.

However, it amuses me how quiet the forum is after a win. I'e seen it happen before. It's like if we have nothing to moan about, very few have anything to say.

We are quiet after a win because we have all been burned hard over the past 4 or 5 years mate. One win in isolation here and there is all we have had to hang our hats on, we need to see more, we need to see a string of wins before genuine excitement returns to the forum I believe. But, I don't know if this team is capable. We need to see it.

Disagree. When we win the trolls retreat to the shadows biding their time till the next opportunity to spew bile and bait the good folks of Nickstown.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:47 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Basically, in summation...

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Foi62.tinypic.com%2F250nvyw.jpg&hash=3e8c20da495ce39ba8f47001806b6cda

Yeah, that was bad......its hard to twatch how far a club legend has fallen

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 am

I think Bucks summation of the game is spot on

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:42 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Foi62.tinypic.com%2F250nvyw.jpg&hash=3e8c20da495ce39ba8f47001806b6cda

I don't know - Pendles lacks that old aggression but he's still serviceable. Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:50 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Cam wrote:
The more touches Aish gets, the more gold that he will produce for us. We need him to get his hands on it more, and in good positions.

Good call Cam. He is a quality footballer, with excellent finishing skills.
agree, said as much last night, and I’m watching the replay now and can still see it. He’s a game little dude.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:06 am

He was excellent. I thought about giving him votes but ultimately thought there were 5 better on the night. He's got more talent than some of them, though.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am

dalyc wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Agree Monco Matt - we'd be well advised not to get ahead of ourselves or get too carried away. Bucks certainly isn't going on his presser.

However, it amuses me how quiet the forum is after a win. I'e seen it happen before. It's like if we have nothing to moan about, very few have anything to say.

We are quiet after a win because we have all been burned hard over the past 4 or 5 years mate. One win in isolation here and there is all we have had to hang our hats on, we need to see more, we need to see a string of wins before genuine excitement returns to the forum I believe. But, I don't know if this team is capable. We need to see it.

Disagree. When we win the trolls retreat to the shadows biding their time till the next opportunity to spew bile and bait the good folks of Nickstown.

This crap shits me. Nobody here enjoys a loss, nobody hates Buckley, there is not one non Collingwood supporter here. It’s been a long $£$%^%%$ 5 years. (2012 wasn’t that bad, the calm before the storm). It’s going to take more than 1 amazingly gutsy, honerable loss to GWS and one really fun happy win over a really crap team who happen to be our mortal enemy, to ignite the flame. Don’t kid yourselves. Carlton are crap! This was a good confidence booster. I had a bloody great night, it wasn’t too cold, no wind, a bloody decent sized crowd, some fun banter with the odd blues fan around us, and a young team that gave its all. I stayed clapping until the players were walking down the ramp. It was a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Life has chucked my family a few curve balls of late, so I really just enjoyed the last two weeks for what they were, 2 great nights sitting at the footy, yelling for my boys, loving the endeavour, marvelling at the good stuff, Sam Murray come on down! Man I love it, I so miss Harry’s run! Seeing Sidey get his grin back, and I actually saw Pendles talking last night, Grundy a massive towering giant running like a rather ungainly gazelle, and man the roar that went up when cox held his first mark, and his second and his third! The boos for the cheating scumpires, and the jeers for poor old Kennedy missing a goal, seeing Thomas muscled up, and kicking 5, WHE. Kicking off his shirt and tie and getting it done, Reid with that godawful buzz cut playing like it’s 2010, the Collingwood chant, probably not called for, but hey, I’ll take it! we had to park about 2 Kim a way, but gees I walked it on air!

Let the jibes go guys, for one sweet week, when we sunk the $£$%^%%$ blues. There is not a person here who did not enjoy winning last night. $£$%^%%$ oath it could have been by more, so what, I’ll take it.

I’ll worry about the rest next week. I have no illusions. Therefore, I’ll just take this good feeling and run with it for a few days thanks!

Thanks Jezza, I look for your coach post every week. Well done Buckley. Nice words.

Go Pies! My beautiful, maddening, wonderful, Pies!

Last edited by think positive on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

I don't know - Pendles lacks that old aggression but he's still serviceable. Wink

Hehe, love it, thanks Bat, I know I’m terrible but this is my favourite ever Pendles moment! I still remember watching it love, and yelling at Daisy for dishing on Ball!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 am

My head hurts. A great night in the Daicos Bar.

Should of won by twice as much.

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Viz. Adam Treloar I think you need to allow for some structural considerations. How much time do you want a player like Treloar to spend on his knees or on the ground. I don't see him as an extractor or a tough guy. In a a way I think his role for us is like Craig Bradley was for Carlton back in the day, if that is the way he is being coached then that IMO is good football. The coach noted we could do with a big bodied muscle player in the midfield, which is the way to go rather than sacrificing the edge Treloar's burst gives us.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:42 pm

ronrat wrote:
Like to know just how Shazzas tackle was dangerous. And Sideys for that matter. Perhaps the AFL will tell us that the game is now touch footy

Agree- the umps got both these wrong as agreed by tv commentators.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Always great to beat The Filth, no matter what the margin.

Those 2 late goals were frustrating, but were a direct result of that cheating scum-loving dirtbag of an umpire penalising Scharenberg for what was a great tackle.

Its probably stating the obvious, but I think Grundy has become our most important player. Whatever we need to pay him to play his whole career at Collingwood, we must pay it.

Great to see Thomas be rewarded for what he has been through. Hope he can keep it up.

I thought Cox played his role pretty well last night. Would have been nice to see him hit then score board, but that will come - that last goal to Reid should have been a free kick to Cox.

Credit to Buckley, he coached well last night. Next week will be the test though.

The main worry was that we were thrashed at the center clearances by a side that might not win a game all season. We need to improved in this area soon - we cant keep relying on the backline to mop up for us.

If Fasolo gets through OK this week, I think he'll come in for Stephenson, who looks like he needs a run in the seconds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: