Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Broomhead/Kirby/injury-no visit from the coach as of Tuesday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Speaking of injuries, good to see Reuben Branson back as club doctor, he was our doctor in 2010. Yesterday he injected both my knees, hes brilliant! Nothing to do with the thread of course. Buckley didnt visit me either!

So you had acid injected in your knees TP? Sure it wasn't Lysergic Acid Diethylamide?

Is it true that Dr Reuben Branson and Dr Dank were seen having coffee together just before your injectible drug use?

I'm just asking.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 pm

think positive wrote:
Synvisc 1, its hyuloronic acid and other things, its like a thick gel, and it pads out sore joints. The miniscus in both my knees is ripped from netball and they ache, kind of like arthritis I believe. Its a wonder drug! Its supposed to last around nine months, but it is seems to last longer each time, I get it around every 13-14 months. This is the 4th time.

I see. I take it you're saying the menisci were torn, then "healed" (just with rest, or with surgery?), but are basically arthritic.
The last time I thought about the topic was pre-draft, when we were considering Fogarty, who did have surgery for it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Speaking of injuries, good to see Reuben Branson back as club doctor, he was our doctor in 2010. Yesterday he injected both my knees, hes brilliant! Nothing to do with the thread of course. Buckley didnt visit me either!

So you had acid injected in your knees TP? Sure it wasn't Lysergic Acid Diethylamide?

Is it true that Dr Reuben Branson and Dr Dank were seen having coffee together just before your injectible drug use?

I'm just asking.

I wish, I could use some of the metabolic stuff and the fake tan drug too! Coulda done an all in one!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
Synvisc 1, its hyuloronic acid and other things, its like a thick gel, and it pads out sore joints. The miniscus in both my knees is ripped from netball and they ache, kind of like arthritis I believe. Its a wonder drug! Its supposed to last around nine months, but it is seems to last longer each time, I get it around every 13-14 months. This is the 4th time.

I see. I take it you're saying the menisci were torn, then "healed" (just with rest, or with surgery?), but are basically arthritic.
The last time I thought about the topic was pre-draft, when we were considering Fogarty, who did have surgery for it.

No still torn, one almost end to end, it actually locks my knee on occasion! I went to him because I knew it was time to do something, I would be in agony by about 8pm in winter with the aching. He suggested this instead of operating, and after seeing so many of my fellow net ballers in worse condition after ops, or gained so much weight they never get back to sport anyway, I thought Id try this. I still work out nearly every day, I can ride my pushbike, and I still do the occasional mud run, Im just not good at turning corners now! Its miraculous! On Sunday night I was in agony with my left knee, just aching could not get a comfortable position. It still feels a little squishy as the stuff settles, but no pain. And the right feels like brand new! I just have to give the gym a miss for a few days, but Im still doing housework and walking around with my camera, down the beach etc.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 pm

https://www.sportsdoc.com.au/synvisc.html Wink

I see we posted almost simultaneously.

The good thing seems to be that it's not losing its effect for you, but actually lasting longer each time. Otherwise, I'd worry about it simply delaying matters (i.e. surgery).
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:55 pm

K wrote:

The good thing seems to be that it's not losing its effect for you, but actually lasting longer each time. Otherwise, I'd worry about it simply delaying matters (i.e. surgery).

Surgery isn't shown to do much better and can make things worse. Too many have rushed to surgery (total knee replacement surgery) only to keep on experiencing the same pain if not worse post surgery, altough everyone is individual.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 pm

watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:

Surgery isn't shown to do much better and can make things worse. Too many have rushed to surgery (total knee replacement surgery) only to keep on experiencing the same pain if not worse post surgery, although everyone is individual.

exactly right! There is also new treatments coming, Reuben spoke to me about a new one hes been doing in the last 6 months, in case this stops working so well. He did say that it seems to work exceptionally well for me. I tend to do the right things though - eat to lubricate my joints, exercise to my current ability, and not get more than 5kg over weight. Knees are such little things really, when you consider the work they do, gotta look after them!

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 pm

think positive wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:

No still torn, one almost end to end, it actually locks my knee on occasion! I went to him because I knew it was time to do something, I would be in agony by about 8pm in winter with the aching. He suggested this instead of operating, and after seeing so many of my fellow net ballers in worse condition after ops, or gained so much weight they never get back to sport anyway, I thought Id try this. I still work out nearly every day, I can ride my pushbike, and I still do the occasional mud run, Im just not good at turning corners now! Its miraculous! On Sunday night I was in agony with my left knee, just aching could not get a comfortable position. It still feels a little squishy as the stuff settles, but no pain. And the right feels like brand new! I just have to give the gym a miss for a few days, but Im still doing housework and walking around with my camera, down the beach etc.

Your a legend TP.
But netball is a mean sport.
Absolute killer on knees.
I like watching netball...fast and furious but I can't stand the scoring.
Just drives me mad.
How is Junior progressing at netball and is she just as passionate about the good old old black and white as in the past?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 pm

^

Given the damage I did to my knees in my late teens / early 20's I'm so happy they both still get me around. I won't be happy when the arthritis eventually hits though. Sad

Torn cartilage in a knee is painful. Had it once, didn't like it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:39 pm

masoncox wrote:
think positive wrote:
K wrote:
think positive wrote:

Your a legend TP.
But netball is a mean sport.
Absolute killer on knees.
I like watching netball...fast and furious but I can't stand the scoring.
Just drives me mad.
How is Junior progressing at netball and is she just as passionate about the good old old black and white as in the past?

cheers!!
Shes playing for Melton A grade on a Saturday, and gets paid for it! Last season She won the Clubman award, And She won the bloody raffle last night at the season Launch!!
And YES She is, Shes what makes the midwinter suffering at the G worth it!! cheers, mate Wink

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Did our VFL coach visit them? They've both played more games for him than they have for Buckley.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm

No. just some of the players.
And not all of the playing list.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:30 pm

think positive wrote:
exactly right! There is also new treatments coming, Reuben spoke to me about a new one hes been doing in the last 6 months, in case this stops working so well. He did say that it seems to work exceptionally well for me. ...

I wonder how the 'old' and 'new' treatments differ...

Something from the ABC (on ACLs, not menisci):
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/acl-injuries-on-the-rise-20180423-54cdj.html

The talking head advocates neuromuscular training.

The accompanying Fairfax article:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-endures-epidemic-of-preventable-acl-injuries-20180421-p4zay6.html
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
exactly right! There is also new treatments coming, Reuben spoke to me about a new one hes been doing in the last 6 months, in case this stops working so well. He did say that it seems to work exceptionally well for me. ...

I wonder how the 'old' and 'new' treatments differ...

Something from the ABC (on ACLs, not menisci):
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/acl-injuries-on-the-rise-20180423-54cdj.html

The talking head advocates neuromuscular training.

The accompanying Fairfax article:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-endures-epidemic-of-preventable-acl-injuries-20180421-p4zay6.html

These are interesting posts as I have a personal perspective on both.

About 5 years ago I had an arthroscopy on my hip to repair a torn labrum in the joint. The tear could have been caused by any of my football collisions over the years, by cycling crashes (I ride a lot and have had a few big ones) or just as a result of the shape of the head of the femur. The op was quite successful but at the time I asked the surgeon whether that was a problem that was going to lead to a hip replacement one day (I was 49 or 50 at the time). His answer was that I would not need a replacement as hip arthroscopy's and replacements would by then be a thing of the past, as there were promising trials with stem cells being conducted, and it was likely that the remedy for those problems would be an injection that would lead to regrowth. If that comes to be it will have an enormous impact on many people's lives.

As to ACL reconstructions, I had one of them before I was 30. I led and jumped for a mark, didn't take it cleanly then twisted in the air to take it on the second grab. I hit the ground awkwardly on one leg and heard and felt the ligament snap. The reco went smoothly and I still have the VCR recording of the arthroscopy that was done immediately before it stored away somewhere. It looks like a combination of the old Pacman game and crab meat being chopped up if you can picture that. I don't believe that any sort of training would have stopped the injury from occurring though.

I do agree with the surgeon quoted in the article though as back in those days I was not aware of teenagers around the 14 year old mark having to undergo ACL reconstructions. If it happened it must have been quite rare but I know a few boys and girls that have had them at around 14 years of age recently. In those cases the kids would have done nowhere near as much general unorganised sport as my generation did, but they did specific training for their own individual sport, with individual coaching etc, and with quite heavy workloads. What the surgeon is really saying I suppose is that cross training, not playing computer games, assist in avoiding ACL's.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Nathan did the walk for Demetia with Crocker ,family and friends

Lots of Pie players too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: