Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and illness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Have wondered that myself about the majority of our injuries (apart from accident ones like Goldy ,Broomy etc) hamstring, calf, ankle ,Achilles

All clubs get soft tissue injuries—like records to compare us with others

Alway seems every day on here or other footy related places we get fresh or reoccurring ones

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am

Hm wrote:
I am surprised to see so many leg injuries (hamstrings and quadriceps). There are a significant number of players who tape their shoulders and arms (eg Varcoe last Saturday) but I have never seen any prevention for leg injuries. Furthermore anyone who has torn their leg muscles (and a pull or strain is a tear categorised as minor) will know it can take 12 months of rehab to gain full strength. Continued tearing will become chronic and never repair totally (eg Buckley). I have not seen the proven method to support leg injuries such as kinesiology tape and compression clothing being used. eg If I was Daniel Wells I would be wearing compression socks.

I was in a sports related conversation with a couple medical people recently and they believed one of the big problems with soft tissue injuries in the AFL, is that the only address the symptom ( initially )
These professionals were saying that in the USA, there wouldn’t be a soft tissue injury that isn’t addressed by a chiropractor first before any action is performed on the affected tissue.
The theory is this - so many tissue injuries are caused by misalignment of the skeletal system ( particularly high hamstrings ) so it’s extremely important to have perfect skeletal alignment in place before attempting to improve / repair the tissue. In Australia, for whatever reason, we don’t take chiropractors anywhere near as seriously as most other parts of the first world. This in turn has filtered through to elite levels in sport where SUPPOSEDLY physiotherapists are very protective of their patch in rehab medicine.

I witnessed some anecdotal evidence first hand recently. My daughter badly strained her ankle and with the help of a physio, she returned to around 70% improvement very quickly but couldn’t improve any further. I took her to a good chiro and after one adjustment to her ankle, she “ immediately “ to 100% and has remained that way since.

Long story short, from what I heard in this conversation, AFL rehabbing tends to address the symptom rather than the source, particularly when compared to overseas trends.
Make of that what you will but next time you sprain an ankle, see a Chiro first !!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 am

If it’s an Australian failing (ignoring Chiropractic sector) then that would suggest its endemic across AFL

If so when will a progressive club “break way”—-us ❓❓❓❓

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Hm wrote:
I am surprised to see so many leg injuries (hamstrings and quadriceps). There are a significant number of players who tape their shoulders and arms (eg Varcoe last Saturday) but I have never seen any prevention for leg injuries. Furthermore anyone who has torn their leg muscles (and a pull or strain is a tear categorised as minor) will know it can take 12 months of rehab to gain full strength. Continued tearing will become chronic and never repair totally (eg Buckley). I have not seen the proven method to support leg injuries such as kinesiology tape and compression clothing being used. eg If I was Daniel Wells I would be wearing compression socks.

I was in a sports related conversation with a couple medical people recently and they believed one of the big problems with soft tissue injuries in the AFL, is that the only address the symptom ( initially )
These professionals were saying that in the USA, there wouldn’t be a soft tissue injury that isn’t addressed by a chiropractor first before any action is performed on the affected tissue.
The theory is this - so many tissue injuries are caused by misalignment of the skeletal system ( particularly high hamstrings ) so it’s extremely important to have perfect skeletal alignment in place before attempting to improve / repair the tissue. In Australia, for whatever reason, we don’t take chiropractors anywhere near as seriously as most other parts of the first world. This in turn has filtered through to elite levels in sport where SUPPOSEDLY physiotherapists are very protective of their patch in rehab medicine.

I witnessed some anecdotal evidence first hand recently. My daughter badly strained her ankle and with the help of a physio, she returned to around 70% improvement very quickly but couldn’t improve any further. I took her to a good chiro and after one adjustment to her ankle, she “ immediately “ to 100% and has remained that way since.

Long story short, from what I heard in this conversation, AFL rehabbing tends to address the symptom rather than the source, particularly when compared to overseas trends.
Make of that what you will but next time you sprain an ankle, see a Chiro first !!

That was an interesting read.
I wonder if soccer in Europe have taken that angle up.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Hm wrote:

I'm no expert, but most fully qualified medical professionals consider chiropractors to be not much more than modern day witch doctors. Just saying.. Confused
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:39 pm

^^^

True, well in Australia anyway.

Having said that, you don’t see to many going broke and closing down their practices either.

For all I know, maybe some clubs do use them in-house with physiotherapists but the consensus amongst this group of medical people, was that they are under used when it comes to soft tissue injuries ( partic hamstrings )
I am aware of a couple clubs who out source Chiros on occasions but the clubs want their service for next to nothing ( which isn’t unusual ) so I would guess the Chiros aren’t pushing for all that they have to offer in return.

Anyway, I know a good one, should you change your thinking 😉
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
... the consensus amongst this group of medical people, was that they are under used when it comes to soft tissue injuries ( partic hamstrings )

It'd seem an unusual group of medical people to hold that view (rightly or wrongly).

I see that a 2002 NFL survey (with only 2/3 response rate) revealed the following:

"Seventy-seven percent of the trainers have referred to a chiropractor for evaluation or treatment, and 23% have not. Thirty-one percent of NFL teams use a chiropractor in an official capacity on their staffs, and 69% do not. When asked to identify conditions appropriate for referral to a chiropractor, the respondents identified low back pain (61%), "stingers" and "burners" usually associated with neck injury (31%), headaches (8%), asthma or other visceral disorders (0%)."
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Was watching Geoff Walsh injuries report and something I did not know

When he talked on Kale Kirby “At the ECG test of all the players nothing bad showed on his test”

Apparently they test players for heart issues

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:49 pm

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
... the consensus amongst this group of medical people, was that they are under used when it comes to soft tissue injuries ( partic hamstrings )

It'd seem an unusual group of medical people to hold that view (rightly or wrongly).

I see that a 2002 NFL survey (with only 2/3 response rate) revealed the following:

"Seventy-seven percent of the trainers have referred to a chiropractor for evaluation or treatment, and 23% have not. Thirty-one percent of NFL teams use a chiropractor in an official capacity on their staffs, and 69% do not. When asked to identify conditions appropriate for referral to a chiropractor, the respondents identified low back pain (61%), "stingers" and "burners" usually associated with neck injury (31%), headaches (8%), asthma or other visceral disorders (0%)."

K, I’m not sure why you think it an unusual response. I just remain open minded and accept that a group of guys ( three if you want to call that a sample ) who are all involved in sports medicine know a hell of a lot more than me.
I think it’s more about one practice complementing the other as the most balanced way to achieve an outcome.
I don’t know to what extent clubs have either embraced chiropractors or not ( supposedly very limited ) but clubs wouldnt be diligent in their duties if they haven’t at least explored that option.
To me, it’s also like closing your mind to acupuncture and cupping for certain conditions. I think it’s in the clubs best interests to have all these practices available and overseen by a relevant medico who then prescribes the most appropriate rehab.

Just as well I didn’t say that these guys reckon injecting cows blood could solve chronic hamstrings. Now that would be really stupid.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

P16, I just meant what Rudey mentioned: the medical profession here is pretty hostile overall (rightly or wrongly).
The typical view seems to be something like this:
https://theconversation.com/theres-no-place-for-pseudo-scientific-chiropractic-in-australian-universities-4576

Regarding the other practices you mention, I think one difference is that acupuncture and cupping don't have much risk associated with them. (Just make sure the needles are clean and it's hard to see harm being done, even if no good comes out of it.) Medicos seem to think one is at risk of being paralysed if the chiropractor makes a mistake. (I'm curious to know how often something like that has actually happened. Here's one relevant article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/how-safe-are-the-vigorous-neck-manipulations-done-by-chiropractors/2014/01/06/26870726-5cf7-11e3-bc56-c6ca94801fac_story.html?utm_term=.e54360d29fe8 )

I don't know if the views are different in different countries. I guess that 31% seems relatively high.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Looking into Chiropractor injuries stats not a lot was forthcoming

It seems from a cursory glance that their prime function is lower back pain

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Looking into Chiropractor injuries stats not a lot was forthcoming

It seems from a cursory glance that their prime function is lower back pain

I went to a chiropractor in Clifton Hill many years ago, but I walked out after seeing posters in their foyer claiming that chiropractory could cure cancer, asthma, multiple sclerosis, diabetes amongst other ailments. A Professor of Medicine friend of mine reckons it's dangerous and a massive con. Wtfwik?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm

It seems that in 2016 the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners urged GPs to stop referring to chiropractors.

It seems safe to say the two groups do not like each other.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Are there concerns on Treloar carrying injury
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Only if he sees a chiropractor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 4 of 96   

Jump to: