Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and illness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctor they call 'Healing Hans'

16 Dec, 2011

http://www.espn.com.au/espn/otl/story/_/id/7324261/germany-dr-hans-wilhelm-muller-wohlfahrta-great-healer-quack-hyperactive-syringe

"They come to see the jovial Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, whose practice is a combination of power, glamour and secrecy.

Healing Hans, as Muller-Wohlfahrt is affectionately known, ranks as either the greatest healer since Hippocrates or is a quack with a hyperactive syringe, depending on whom you believe.

Though conventionally trained in medicine and orthopedics, he practices a unique mixture of homeopathic medicine -- treatment with natural substances -- and acupuncture. The lifeblood of his treatments is what Muller-Wohlfahrt calls "infiltrations," in which homeopathic preparations and other substances are injected into the injury site: exotic stuff like Actovegin, an amino acid preparation derived from calves' blood, and lubricating substances containing purified hyaluronic acid and antioxidants.

Injecting patients with loaded syringes of Actovegin (pronounced: act-o-VEE-gin) is viewed suspiciously in many global outposts and, while not banned, the substance remains on the radar of sports anti-doping bodies. Actovegin is not approved for use in either the United States or Canada.

None of Muller-Wohlfahrt's work in Munich has been peer-reviewed. Nor has he published any studies related to his use of Actovegin in any major medical journals. And that leaves people like Travis Tygart, the United States Anti-Doping Agency boss, calling Muller-Wohlfahrt's heavy dose of injections a "Frankenstein-type experiment." He is simply unable to accept that athletes dabble in substances not approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

"If you are truly motivated by the health of your populations, why wouldn't you want to spread that?" asks Tygart, referring to the lack of documented research. "I mean if you had a cure for cancer, you are too busy not to let the rest of the world have it? Come on. You're too busy making a profit off it to let the rest of the world have it. And you might have serious questions whether it would pass the smell test of the rest of the world.

"There are witch doctors out there. ... These sorts of gurus get a reputation within athlete populations. And these high-dollar athletes who are desperate to do anything and everything to win, even at the jeopardy of their own health, go to these guys. That is the culture. It is not right, but that is the culture."

The International Olympic Committee went so far as to place Actovegin on its banned list briefly in 2000 before reversing course, believing at the time that it was being abused by cyclists when taken intravenously.

But generally, there's more confusion and mystery about Actovegin than hard facts. FDA officials contacted by OTL can't explain why the substance has not been approved and won't say whether an application has ever been submitted. Some in the medical community suggest there may be public health concerns because Actovegin is created from calves' blood, which could potentially be a source of transmittable disease.

To this point, independent laboratory analyses of Actovegin have uncovered no traces of growth hormone or prohibited substances, according to World Anti-Doping Agency officials. The group's lead scientist, Dr. Olivier Rabin, refers to it simply as a "supervitamin for blood."

Because he's working with so many world-class athletes, the doctor routinely communicates with WADA about his treatment methods, including his use of Actovegin. Rabin vouches for Muller-Wohlfahrt's operating a clean practice, but he isn't ready to speak to the purported healing qualities of Actovegin.

"There are many techniques being used all over the world by different physicians who strongly believe that they work," Rabin says. "I am not saying Actovegin doesn't work, but looking at its composition there are no growth factors, there is no protein and only good nutrients in there. I tend to be skeptical personally on the direct impact. And I haven't seen any solid publication that indicates Actovegin would work for muscle injury, for example.

"So I am always very aware of the placebo effect. I am not saying this is a placebo effect, but if you inject 100 athletes, even with the placebo you will have 20 or 30 who will say that that greatly improved their physical condition. So you have to be very careful. When there is no well-conducted scientific study, to me there is no proof that it works or it doesn't work."

One apparent issue was Muller-Wohlfahrt's increasing reliance on injections. In simple terms, he believes in avoiding surgery, whereas Muschaweck is of the mind that injections serve as a mere stopgap in putting off the inevitable need for surgery.

"I am not a fan of injections all over and not facing the real problem, do you know what I mean?" she says. "If you have an injury of a joint or of a ligament, then you could inject whatever you would like. It wouldn't help. So there is no [complete] healing. Only for some time, but not [long-term] healing only if you do the injections."

The use of injections, however, is an accepted German medical practice. ..."

A second article:

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7324262/high-profile-patients-put-utmost-trust-dr-hans-wilhelm-muller-wohlfahrt-unorthodox-treatments
K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 am

More on Jack Frost:

"Frost had been virtually housebound and at times turned into a character his girlfriend found hard to recognise.

"I had headaches all day, felt extremely lethargic, had no energy and did not want to eat because I felt sick all the time. I felt like I was on a ship even when I was on land," Frost said.

Even worse for those around Frost he felt his personality change as his brain struggled to respond to information.

"That was extremely frustrating and made me really short-tempered because I am usually on the ball with everything," Frost said.

In bed early because he easily fatigued, he would often wake in the middle of the night feeling sick, occasionally agitated and nearly always restless.

With Simpson off to work he would eventually wake in an empty house and depending on how he felt he would either eat or skip breakfast before he roused himself to attempt to get something done.

Beginning with something small around the house, he would build his activity levels as his confidence grew, sometimes taking his beloved dog Jagger for a stroll.

More often than not he would be sat back on his bum.

"I might go for a 10-minute walk and then feel like throwing up," Frost said.

"Things you just take for granted get taken away from you."

Watching TV hurt his head and reading was only possible for small periods.

Brayshaw told him to let nature take its course, which calmed Frost down a touch.

"He told me that if you don't feel right, don't do anything," Frost said."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nimble-and-quick-jack-was-then-hit-with-the-concussion-stick-20181122-p50hl7.html
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Flashback (February 2012) -- vision of Macaffer's knee surgery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-XKVDNFmM [0:34-2:59]
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Not one of ours, but...

Tom Mitchell has broken his leg and will miss the whole AFL season.

Sad news, even though not our player.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

^ It's a bad injury.

I suspect this diminishes Hawthorn's prospects of any success this year.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Buckley on injured players:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-08/times-change-and-bucks-no-longer-sour-on-cream

including
Wells ("It might take a little bit of time yet, but he's travelling all right."),
JdG ("It's not really one specific thing, he's just had a couple of little irks. He'll be ready."),
Beams ("He's been a little bit like Jordy, he's had a couple of things that are stopping him from full training, but he's still getting a lot of work in."), ...

Also noted in the article:

'Howe went back for his second operation this week after a knock at training.'
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

What happened to it?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Win some loose some

Slow was the anticipated match ready of Elliott and Moore —that could result in the win

Howe and JDG who made it thru the finals a slight back track of match fit

Potential loss

But as a group most will peak and be ready—Quaynor May do a “Stevo “ & make R 1

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Essendon, Blues and maybe Dogs to trial Hird-backed mouthguard

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-maybe-blues-and-dogs-to-trial-hird-backed-mouthguard-20190208-p50wn5.html

"The mouthguard is implanted with an "accelerometer'', the same device that sporting teams use in GPS vests that measure how quickly players move and the distance covered.

The AFL has approved the use of the mouthguard for 2019, which is said to be able to measure the force of blows to the head.

Collingwood also has been in discussions with the mouthguard company, but is less likely to use the device than the Dons, Blues and Bulldogs.

The mouthguard has been backed by the AFL Players' Association, which is keen to gain as much knowledge as possible about head-high collisions and hopes that the device can be a tool for improving player safety."
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am

Gleeson's take last week:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/howe-has-surgery-as-pies-stars-return-20190207-p50waj.html

"Last week Howe suffered a knock to the same spot, again courtesy of a friendly-fire collision with Darcy Moore, and again suffered a bad bleed.

He had surgery at the weekend to cauterise that part of the artery or vessels in the leg. It is hoped this surgery also prevents a recurrence in the event of another knock to the area.

Howe initially suffered a cork last year in a collision that also knocked him out. He came from the ground concussed and with no memory of being corked and so the leg was not iced and untreated the bleeding became severe and he was admitted to hospital."

Also: Elliott, Beams, Treloar, ...
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm

AFL injuries on the rise, but not at Pies

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-tie-crisp-hoskin-elliott-to-long-term-contracts-20190212-p50x5o.html

"The AFL and its 18 clubs are facing a new major on-field issue, with the league's injury rate increasing by more than 20 percent last year.

... the AFL ... have calculated that clubs had players miss more than 120 senior games on average last season.

The Magpies' quest to go one step further than last year’s Grand Final has been buoyed by one of their shortest pre-season injury lists in recent memory."

[Okay, but the club is probably hiding stuff about Beams and JdG. It's hard to believe they keep on being "ill" both pre-break and now...]
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 am

Big Pie concerns: Star ruckman still missing from main group

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-13/big-pie-concerns-star-ruckman-still-training-away-from-main-group

"Despite Grundy's left leg being bandaged up to his calf, the Pies remain adamant he is improving from a toe injury that was initially described as a two-week setback."
mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am

Is DeGoey ok?
Just heard he's been carried off the field by the trainers.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 am

JDG please God make it minor!

Please.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am

Carried off or just helped off? Carried off would be kind of bad, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 23 of 96   

Jump to: