Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and illness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 94, 95, 96  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
I'd prefer they add 2 players to the bench. I was never a fan of the sub rule.

This is different. Sub only for concussion. Nothing else. (Like cricket.)
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 am

Is Will Kelly carrying a niggle? Emergency last week and not named this week. One player I expected to get some pre-season time.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:28 pm
Post subject: List Management: Investing in injury prone playersReply with quote

It's one thing to suffer injuries to players during a season which is a consequence of footy being a contact sport but it's another to repeatedly invest contracts into those whose cliché breakdowns are just that now: "cliché". Whom you may ask?

1. Ben Reid: with 150 matches out of 310 available matches, how he was retained for 2019 is one thing. How he was given an extension for 2020 is downright staggering. How HE put his name up to play on was selfish and how Ned Guy could possibly even consider it a good move, even more staggering.

To see him nick another leg injury in Wangaratta against the Tigers last week was proof of the idiocy of keeping him on. And anyone who thinks he is good back up for our key position stocks, well there are probably 25+ better options in State Leagues.

2. Tom Langdon:

We had a chance in October 2018 to off-load a degenerative Tom to either Sydney or Fremantle for a pick in the low 20's in the draft. Our low ball contract offer of sub $300,000 for 2 years suggested we didn't rate him after an auspicious Grand Final performance. 8 games later he is, as expected unlikely to play again.

3. Daniel Wells: $1,800,000 with no trigger clauses for 15 matches equates to $120,000 a game. Enough said then and now.

4. Travis Varcoe: has been good for us however rising 32 and was always likely to injure more than less. Now out for a sustained period in 2020 with a shoulder reconstruction. Playing another one short essentially.

5.Tim Broomhead: apparently 6 weeks away. 8th year and less than 40 games. Gets another season.

6. Matt Scharenberg: enough said and documented

7. Dayne Beams: both physical (groins and knees) and mental were known in October 2018 yet we went with 4 years, yes FOUR years to get him out of Brisbane.

Add in the usual suspects of Jamie Elliott, Darcy Moore and Taylor Adams whom all notoriously suffer leg injuries and you have to wonder how we can ever win a Premiership carrying this many liabilities year in year out.

Yes a tad negative to start 2020 and I'd like to be more half glass full than empty but when you tune in and see Ben Reid in Wangaratta last week run out onto the ground, and amongst your mates run a wager as to WHEN he shall nick a calf or quad and you win said bet, you have to wonder.

What next, re-signing Lynden Dunn on the SPP? Over to you Ned Guy.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:15 pm
Post subject: Re: List Management: Investing in injury prone playersReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
We had a chance in October 2018 to off-load a degenerative Tom to either Sydney or Fremantle for a pick in the low 20's in the draft. ...

No, we didn't. They didn't want him. He failed Sydney's medical test.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:55 pm
Post subject: Re: List Management: Investing in injury prone playersReply with quote

K wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
We had a chance in October 2018 to off-load a degenerative Tom to either Sydney or Fremantle for a pick in the low 20's in the draft. ...

No, we didn't. They didn't want him. He failed Sydney's medical test.

He was offered a longer term deal by Fremantle. Fact. But chose to stay before jet setting off to Sth Africa with brother and Dad.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:57 pm

In 12 months they'll all be gone.

But you just know the media will attack us by asking anyway. It'll go from too many injury prone players on the list to how can Collingwood replace such stars.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:46 am

So we're STILL buying the perfectly reasonable idea that NINE years now of the longest injury list in the game is nothing but gosh-darned bad luck.
NINE!
Seasons!
I was trying to tell you how utterly absurd this was after THREE seasons nobbled by injuries. So... another SIX still makes no diff? %$^£$%^&%% me, I give up.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:14 am

inxs88 wrote:
What next, re-signing Lynden Dunn on the SPP? Over to you Ned Guy.

Looks like your wish has been granted.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:47 pm

35forever wrote:
So we're STILL buying the perfectly reasonable idea that NINE years now of the longest injury list in the game is nothing but gosh-darned bad luck

Yeah that would be ridiculous. If it was true I mean

Anyone remember 2011 when Freo busted the salary cap due to player injury payments and had to get an exemption from the AFL so they could upgrade some rookies to field a team?

1. Hayden Ballantyne (hamstring) - season
2. Justin Bollenhagen (ankle) - test
3. Jesse Crichton (knee) - season
4. Matt de Boer (knee) - season
5. Peter Faulks (jaw) - season
6. Nathan Fyfe (shoulder) - season
7. Jonathan Griffin (hip) - season
8. Antoni Grover (soreness) - test
9. Roger Hayden (leg) - season
10. Garrick Ibbotson (shoulder) - season
11. Nick Lower (shoulder) - season
12. Adam McPhee (foot) - season
13. Josh Mellington (elbow) - test
14. Viv Michie (foot) - season
15. Anthony Morabito (knee) - season
16. David Mundy (ankle) - season
17. Matthew Pavlich (hip) - season
18. Jayden Pitt (groin) - test
19. Dylan Roberton (ankle) - season
20. Gavin Roberts (quad) - season
21. Alex Silvagni (concussion) - test
22. Jay van Berlo (groin) - season
23. Michael Walters (knee) - season
(season was almost over, hence so many 'season' injuries, but still)

Dogs had to do the same thing in mid-2000s? Late 2000s Essendon didn't have 22 fit players, Hawks at one point in 2009 had exactly 22, Geelong in 2006 were down to 26. These are outside the window, I mention them because it's not like we're the only team to ever struggle to put a side on the park

GCS used 46 players in 2011, 44 in 2012. GWS the same in 2013 & 2014. Brisbane had a shocker in 2015? Carlton 2012, WCE 2013/14?, Crows mid-2015, Swans 2013 all had long injury lists

I'm not saying we haven't had a bad run since 2013 - we have. But the longest injury list for the last 9 seasons? I don't think so

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:10 pm

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has brushed aside any concern over midfielder Taylor Adams' injury, effectively declaring him a certain starter for round one.

Current injury list :

Flynn Appleby Ankle 2 weeks
Dayne Beams Mental health Indefinite
Tim Broomhead Leg 3-5 weeks
Levi Greenwood Knee 18-24 weeks
Tom Langdon Knee Indefinite
Ben Reid Leg TBC
Adam Treloar Hamstring 3 weeks
Travis Varcoe Shoulder 5-7 weeks

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 pm

^^2 development players, 2 backup players and 4 first 22 players, 2 of whom have probably played their last games and 1 who was arguably fringe anyway

Sum first 22 injury list: Adam Treloar, 3 weeks

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:32 pm

35forever wrote:
So we're STILL buying the perfectly reasonable idea that NINE years now of the longest injury list in the game is nothing but gosh-darned bad luck.
NINE!
Seasons!

Yep, that's right. But do you include 2011 in that to get nine? Or have you already written off 2020?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^^2 development players, 2 backup players and 4 first 22 players, 2 of whom have probably played their last games and 1 who was arguably fringe anyway

Sum first 22 injury list: Adam Treloar, 3 weeks

That’s a fair point.
On one hand, we have Langdon and Beams out of our best 22 and on the other hand, both may never play for Collingwood again.
Do we still regard them as injuries while they remain on our 2020 list or do we simply move on and no longer include them in any best 22 conversations.

Personally, I think it’s time to move on. Beams is finished and Langdon is looking less likely as every week rolls on.
That being the case, only one unavailable from our best 22 ( Treloar ) is our best payer availability for a long while.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm

Article on Jack Crisp:

"He pulled up sore from the 2018 qualifying final but kept playing through the finals series, a key player in the team that fell just short of winning the flag. A scan after the grand final showed he had a stress fracture in his back.

"I'm glad we didn't scan it," Crisp said.

Hip surgery, calf niggles, corked quads and a pre-season ankle operation have all been overcome on the way to round one, 2020. He has also shaken off the disappointment of losing a grand final and preliminary final by less than a goal in two consecutive years."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jack-crisp-s-pitch-perfect-pre-game-rituals-20200319-p54bpa.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 95 of 96   

Jump to: