Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and illness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking in on VFL and in regards to injured AFL players

Both Wills and Elliott line up on Sunday against Cats VFL clash

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Eade:
Said it's not just fitness guy, but also rehab & medical staff ... ;
Agreed with the questioning yesterday of why Elliott started on bench after warming up;
Speculated that emotions, etc. behind Moore apparently remaining in med. room for two hours.

[I don't know about the Elliott claim... Are you really ready to play at all, if sitting on the bench is "too risky" because you'll "cool down"?]
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Elliott's cooked, time to start looking ahead without him in the picture. As with Reid, Wells and Varcoe, just relish the odd occasion they do manage to get on the park. Problem with Elliott is that his injuries impact heavily on his major attributes, that is spring and pace. Daisy Thomas says hello
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 am

K wrote:
For comparison purposes:
Injury crisis forces hamstrung Crows to act

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-10/injury-crisis-forces-hamstrung-crows-to-act

But wait, there's more...

Giants undertake training review as injury list mounts

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/giants-undertake-injury-review-20180516-p4zflo.html
K 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

Jeff Bercovici (author of Play On):

"Trent Stellingwerff, a sports scientist and coach, had a piece of advice that I think is so simple and so powerful. He said the biggest mistake that most athletes make is they train too easy on their hard days, and too hard on their easy days.

A lot of what I learned in researching this book had to do with the evolving understanding of the dangers of fatigue and the effect that fatigue plays in promoting injuries and decreasing an athlete’s performance. When you look at the athletes who are performing better later in their careers, a lot of it is because they have a better understanding of how not to accumulate fatigue over the course of a season or a training period."

"Keith Baar, a scientist at the University of California, Davis, has shown that eating collagen — and it doesn’t seem to matter what form you eat it in, whether it’s bone broth or gelatin — can help your body do things like repair and fortify tendon tissue. Kobe Bryant would consume bone broth before many games. He had a good reason to do that: He had Achilles’ tendon injuries, and it does seem that if you want your Achilles to heal, then drinking bone broth can help.

Keith Baar even said he would tell his athletes that if you’re eating a chicken wing and you get some of that nice cartilage gristle in your teeth that you should chew that up and swallow it because it’s the same thing."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/well/move/play-on-jeff-bercovici-sports-aging-fitness-athletes.html
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am

^^
With that in mind I instantly thought I read somewhere here that Moore was a veggo.

K 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Aish news: he "certainly" won't need a PCL operation now, and Walsh claims the conservative treatment plan has worked out well.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-05-30/injuries-pies-add-grunt-and-class
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm

simon tonna wrote:
... With that in mind I instantly thought I read somewhere here that Moore was a veggo.

Apparently, as well as someone else, whom I can't remember, but I can't find any reliable source.

And now I read the following...

Buckley on Mayne:

"His body shape's a little bit different to what it was at Freo a couple of years ago. He's a bit slighter. I don't know exactly how much lighter he is but I'd estimate three, four or five kilos lighter.

"He's shown pace this year and a bit more explosiveness out of the contest."

"I know that he went on a vegan diet, so that has an impact as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-31/new-pie-to-debut-as-veteran-returns

I wonder what that means. Really vegan, not just vegetarian? Just for a short period or permanently?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-18/wounded-trio-ruled-out-as-pies-play-it-safe
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-22/surprise-pies-aish-drives-injured-mids-comeback

Quote:
Aish, 22, was dealt a devastating blow in round six against Richmond when he ploughed his knee into Jason Castagna's hip in a marking contest.

The impact damaged his posterior cruciate ligament and caused the type of injury ruckmen traditionally used to suffer when their knees collided at bounces before the centre circle was introduced.

"The initial thought was that was the year and I'd need surgery, so that would have been pretty disappointing," he said.

"It would have been basically a PCL reconstruction, so that would have been season out."

But, Aish and the club opted for a "conservative" treatment plan, which meant he'd wear a cumbersome and "painful" knee brace for six weeks.

"It probably had a 50 per cent success rate as well," he said.

"There were lots of choices and doubt with all of it so I'm pretty fortunate it's worked out well."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm

PCL reconstructions are apparently difficult and rare compared to ACL's. Rest and rehab is the preferred course of action.

If you do go the surgery route, finding a surgeon who has experience would be difficult. Glad we took the conservative route.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Ok.

So how far off are Elliott, Moore, Varcoe, etc?

Is Wells any chance of playing again this year?

choppa 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Ok.

Apparently Wells is Season, Varcoe listed as 1-2 and Elliot who really know but I don't expect him to take part in 2018 (going on the last 24 months).
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:27 am

Presti35 wrote:
Ok.

Buckley said in his post-match press conference that Elliott and Moore are "progressing well".

We'll see what Walshy's injury report says later this week.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm

This weekend is 5 weeks for Varcoe. For something considered at the time as just a strain. Anytime I hear the word hamstring at Collingwood these days you can put a line through that person for 6-8 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 8 of 96   

Jump to: