Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattmc33 wrote:

He’s never going to be a guy that is able to consistently develop his playing group, to take guys with weaknesses and turn those weaknesses into strengths.

Maybe it's beyond the scope of this forum, but I'm really interested in how a coach could turn weaknesses into strengths.

Take Taylor Adams as an example. I really admire his tenacity and desire to get the ball. He nearly came off second best in a ferocious contest yesterday. Yet we all know his delivery by foot is a weakness!
I reckon all the coaches and Adams himself are fully aware of this. How could you develop his foot skills? Design a special training drill for him that he practices again and again after the main training session?
I'm not trying to be confrontational by asking this question. Just really interested to see what can be done with players who do have obvious weaknesses.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:22 pm

makri wrote:
Does Broomhead have a case for an unsafe workplace??

That question went through my mind yesterday too - like what type of padding do they put around the posts and what is its protection factor?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:28 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Maybe it's beyond the scope of this forum, but ...

Nothing is beyond the scope of this forum. Wink
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm

With the game yesterday we had some ex Giants and ponder why they were released to us

In the Giants reveiw of players and their value for the teams future do they value courage and tenacity or decision making and ball skills

When they released players to us what criteria did they used —guts or skill

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:44 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
mattmc33 wrote:

He’s never going to be a guy that is able to consistently develop his playing group, to take guys with weaknesses and turn those weaknesses into strengths.

... I'm really interested in how a coach could turn weaknesses into strengths.

... Just really interested to see what can be done with players who do have obvious weaknesses.

Surely this depends what sort of weaknesses you're talking about. Skills? Athleticism? Discipline? ...
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Buckley isn't much of a coach but at least he knows enough not to bag his 300-gamer who will be captain under the new coach.

Langdon is the best footballer in the back six by a considerable margin. What you see as him getting beaten in the contest and coughing up goals is actually him being the only one good enough to get to the contest, time and again, generally outnumbered and usually trying to pick up the pieces for someone else who has run to the wrong spot. Have a look again at Cameron's last goal and ask yourself where the rest of the back six were that Langdon is going up in a marking contest two on one against the CHF and FF. Sometimes great footballers like Tommy are made to look ordinary because they're surrounded by guys who can't read the play and have little appetite for the contest, or are so glacial in their movement they can't get to the contest at the required speed for AFL.

That's often my read also.

Langdon didn't have a great game in round 1 but I thought he bounced back yesterday, was good and it was a display like we became accustomed to across his first two seasons.

He can be hit and miss with his disposal still and can be exposed by the run down tackle at times so needs to be more aware but I dare say he also covers more ground than most or all of the other defenders and therefore fatigue is at play more often for him when it comes to his errors.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:04 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
makri wrote:
Does Broomhead have a case for an unsafe workplace??

That question went through my mind yesterday too - like what type of padding do they put around the posts and what is its protection factor?

What about this one from a few years ago... very lucky he didn't do serious damage.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-04-18/heeney-hits-the-post-hard

The padding is only 35mm in thickness apparently.

35mm thickness is the minimum requirement.

Goal-post padding
In order to prevent injuries to players, officials and
spectators, all fixed goal and behind posts must be
padded as follows:
ƒ a minimum of 35 millimetres thick foam padding,
covered in canvas or painted;

ƒ a minimum height of 2.5 metres from the bottom
of each goal and behind post;

ƒ a suitable width to allow the padding to be fixed
around each goal and behind post; and

ƒ The padding must be securely attached around
each goal and behind post.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:08 pm

What about the opposite—can a ground admin seek recompense when a player breaks the post

“Barney Rubble” Matthews

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:12 pm

It's an interesting question, what alternative is there?

The NFL had a similar issue resulting in changing the position of their posts.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/21/history-nfl-goal-posts

Could our posts be pushed back... outside the playing area?

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:19 pm

There is padding and surely tests have been carried out—Broomie appeared to hit the lower padded section awkwardly

This happens at times without injury

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Buckley isn't much of a coach but at least he knows enough not to bag his 300-gamer who will be captain under the new coach.

Langdon is the best footballer in the back six by a considerable margin. What you see as him getting beaten in the contest and coughing up goals is actually him being the only one good enough to get to the contest, time and again, generally outnumbered and usually trying to pick up the pieces for someone else who has run to the wrong spot. Have a look again at Cameron's last goal and ask yourself where the rest of the back six were that Langdon is going up in a marking contest two on one against the CHF and FF. Sometimes great footballers like Tommy are made to look ordinary because they're surrounded by guys who can't read the play and have little appetite for the contest, or are so glacial in their movement they can't get to the contest at the required speed for AFL.

Every bit of the above is absolute dribble.
Langdon is a poor mans Scharenberg actually let me rephrase that he's a bankrupt mans Scharenberg.
He gets beaten because he has little match awareness not because he covers others work. More often than not Dunn Howe or Murray are leaving there man to cover for Langdon. Round 1 he was putrid and lucky to get a game yesterday. He was better yesterday but honestly he couldn't have been worse could he ? He cost us 6 goals round 1 and 3 yesterday and that's about his career average (over 3 per game)
He gains the least meters per game than any other defender in our team we have because he isn't trusted to kick the ball more than 10-15m because history tell us it will be a turnover if he does. He gets it 20 times hands of handballs half that time and the rest he either kicks back to a team mate to kick it long or he kicks it 10-15 and prays it isn't a turnover.
He will never play 300 games at this level or VFL for that fact.
He's uncontracted for a reason like Walsh said a few weeks ago when asked "we're in no rush to start talks with his management we will wait to the season is over and see what our list looks like going forward"
Unlike the answer he gave when asked about Scharenberg "we've had chats to Matt's management and decided to let Matt get some games under his belt first. Hopefully we will have it sorted out before the bye we see Matt being a long term Collingwood player"
P4S we know you love him but seriously if you think he's a tenth of the player you rate him then your football judgement isn't very good IMO
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Sorry my bad I get it now it's April fools day
Lol you had me going there until I looked at the date
Good one ole mate hilarious
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:54 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

That's often my read also.

Langdon didn't have a great game in round 1 but I thought he bounced back yesterday, was good and it was a display like we became accustomed to across his first two seasons.

He can be hit and miss with his disposal still and can be exposed by the run down tackle at times so needs to be more aware but I dare say he also covers more ground than most or all of the other defenders and therefore fatigue is at play more often for him when it comes to his errors.

tom langdon....360 metres gained in 2 games.... 3 tackles in 2 games......watch him he goes to ground far too often... not even in our best 6....70% of his possessions are uncontested.....

flatters to deceive
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Tom Langdon continues to jog around with little urgency or care.

It's not just how he looks (laconic), it's seriously bizarre how an afl player just meanders around like the bong-affected recruit from the movie The Club. Just ONCE I'd like to see him sprint to a conywt with purpose.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
.... Just ONCE I'd like to see him [Langdon] sprint to a conywt with purpose.

Maybe he's just slow?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17   

Jump to: