Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What has plucked our club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The disastrous throwing away of highly prized draft picks on Scharenberg, Freeman and effectively Aish. We should have set ourselves up with two gun players, like we did the year we drafted Pendles and Daisy.

*** What happened wasn't "disastrous throwing away". It was just dumb bad luck.

2. The recruitment of Gubby Allan over the top of Neil Balme, and the lying to Balme that Allan would not be taking his job, was an absolute disgrace. This was when the rot set in, and it led to the ridiculous recruitment of Mayne and Wells on big dosh, fully stretching our salary cap, making it impossible to recruit a top player.

*** Agreed.

and perhaps

3. The trading of 2 first round draft picks for Treloar looks to have been way over the odds. We paid too much.

*** We didn't pay too much. Treloar is a gun. He was down this week but so was almost the whole team.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am

What has phucked our club for decades now is the members who believe in the cult of personalities. As opposed to being as professional as possible. The Hawks were quite happy to have absolute stars in Mitchell and Hodge leave the club for various reasons. At Collingwood we would have parked these stars in the top paddock.
You only had to look at the almost hysterical posting of members here about drafting Daicos and Brown. Sons of past greats we need at any costs and sons of past average players like Stewart not so keen.
Ed and Buckley had a cult following and Ed has been at the helm for nearly 20 years. Way over time from a professional point of view.
At Collingwood we always look to the Savior and not the methodical brick by brick approach which top Clubs employ.
In short the problem is us members!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 am

As a Collingwood supporter in 1975 I became a social club member at what became a period in the clubs history of internal bickering and hostility

We made The finals under the Weed but as 1976 arrived the turmoil went up a cog or three eventually leading to our first wooden spoon—a shameful and horrid time for all who loved our great club

Fast forward to 2018 and the feeling of despair and uncertainty of what lies ahead has me extremely despondent

But my club is a great club and I trust it will return to its rightful place as
a major competitor

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:44 am

Once again go back to 2010.
How many rookie listed players were in that premiership winning team?

I'll help you:
Nick Maxwell - Captain of the 2010 premiership elevated in 2002
Heritier Lumumba - 2004
Alan Toovey - 2005
Sharrod Wellingham - 2006
Brent Macaffer - 2006
Jarryd Blair - 2008

One quarter of the 2010 premiership team were "undraftable" players and snuck onto the list through last chance back door.

So how important is the draft? Really.

Pappatannas 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 am
Post subject: Collective subconsciousReply with quote

I’m no psychologist but I do place high value on the power of collective mindset and especially subconsciously.

These are ponderings I’d be curious to know if any resonate with:

1/ could it be that many young players who join Collingwood on a deep level somehow think they’ve made it? Somehow, subconsciously, play out usual professional sports rhetoric and actions that show they are committed yet deep down don’t have the fuel that fires total commitment. Could that fuel be somehow diluted simply because they play for Collingwood and experience the awe of massive crowds and more boxes of satisfaction are ticked than other teams? I just wonder. Look at the Tiges and the Dogs. They both had deep reasons to fight and improve. The power of the underdog. The total highly flammable fuel for desire to win.

2/ a lead on from above . Could we have a diluted version of the underdog concept ? If we, as a collective, perform well when our backs are to the wall, when we get smashed then come back and win, is it not logical then that, again, subconsciously, we create the circumstances by which we can do this? That means losing and underperforming so we experience what we believe to be us - good when we are the underdog during a season. Not sure I’m making sense because it’s team psychology and subconscious stuff.

If my opinion has any merit then the logic can be used by observing Richmond over previous years. They had a belief that somehow was self fulfilling by effing up games at the end. Their belief was good but stifled by continually creating circumstances by which they’d lose. Still, enough momentum to know they were close and some tweaks of belief born from Coach/ player and bam!!!

It’s pretty tricky stuff because it’s hard to bough growing on a personal level when we aren’t always clear what our subconscious beliefs are but our actions still display them.

So, review all we want but I’m of the belief that a massive effort by psyches would help uncover a subconscious culture that isn’t serving us.

It’s that intangible we need to make tangible

Just my thoughts if they make sense
Dawesy31 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:54 am

masoncox wrote:
What has phucked our club for decades now is the members who believe in the cult of personalities. As opposed to being as professional as possible. The Hawks were quite happy to have absolute stars in Mitchell and Hodge leave the club for various reasons. At Collingwood we would have parked these stars in the top paddock.
You only had to look at the almost hysterical posting of members here about drafting Daicos and Brown. Sons of past greats we need at any costs and sons of past average players like Stewart not so keen.
Ed and Buckley had a cult following and Ed has been at the helm for nearly 20 years. Way over time from a professional point of view.
At Collingwood we always look to the Savior and not the methodical brick by brick approach which top Clubs employ.

not sure if serious? If you are, then how phucking dare you! You've potted just about every player & official at the club, so now you're starting on us members?!?! Pathetic
Tezza23 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Harrysz wrote:
1. The disastrous throwing away of highly prized draft picks on Scharenberg, Freeman and effectively Aish. We should have set ourselves up with two gun players, like we did the year we drafted Pendles and Daisy.

No. It was a lack of due diligence. Scharenberg was badly injured before we drafted him. Also he lacks pace. This should have been evident before we drafted him. Bear in mind this a side without pace. Freeman has had hamstring injuries since his very first practice match. I would be astounded if he had no such issues before he turned 18 and was drafted and then dogged by it for four years, but I have no idea so maybe he was just dumb bad luck. Aish had a good first season with the Lions but his second season was very poor and in fact if I remember correctly he was dropped from their very poor side. He had two years of AFL football to be judged on but in another lack of due diligence we ignored his poor season and went for him to try to anger Brisbane.

Because drafting is an inexact science the whole rationale should be to minimise the risk. Hine is a risk taker. He wants to find that longshot rather than the more reliable choice. That is why his later picks seem to turn out better than his early picks. Sharenberg, Sier, Mclarty, Stephenson and Murray are high risk picks. Some will work most wont. DeGoey looks like a win but its still too early to tell. Moore was a no brainer.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Self-satisfaction, complacency, lack of due diligence, insular thinking (see full club review conducted entirely by club insiders), out dated methods and practises, lack of accountability and a diversification of focus that has seen the bigger picture neglected, etc etc. That's at administration level.

As for the football dept well there's been self-satisfaction, complacency, lack of due diligence, insular thinking (see side totally micro-managed by one man whose theories and game plans on football are looking more stale and ineffective by the season)), total lack of accountability (2 year contract extensions for a bloke who has missed finals for 4 straight seasons and without his sides showing any tangible improvement on field in his entire tenure), poor drafting (Kennedy, Broomhead, Freeman, Scharenberg, Sier) even worse recycling of players (Lynch, Mayne, Russell, Marty Clarke, Wells), inability to organise a functioning forward line, baffling selection decisions, chronic injuries particularly in pre-season etc etc....

It's been a confluence of factors that have left the club well behind the leading pack now and probably needing a total overhaul, bottoming out and possibly a revolution at board level to fix it.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

BazBoy wrote:
As a Collingwood supporter in 1975 I became a social club member at what became a period in the clubs history of internal bickering and hostility

We made The finals under the Weed but as 1976 arrived the turmoil went up a cog or three eventually leading to our first wooden spoon—a shameful and horrid time for all who loved our great club

Fast forward to 2018 and the feeling of despair and uncertainty of what lies ahead has me extremely despondent

But my club is a great club and I trust it will return to its rightful place as
a major competitor

Well said, Baz.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Flashman wrote:
Self-satisfaction, complacency, lack of due diligence, insular thinking (see full club review conducted entirely by club insiders), out dated methods and practises, lack of accountability and a diversification of focus that has seen the bigger picture neglected, etc etc. That's at administration level.

As for the football dept well there's been self-satisfaction, complacency, lack of due diligence, insular thinking (see side totally micro-managed by one man whose theories and game plans on football are looking more stale and ineffective by the season)), total lack of accountability (2 year contract extensions for a bloke who has missed finals for 4 straight seasons and without his sides showing any tangible improvement on field in his entire tenure), poor drafting (Kennedy, Broomhead, Freeman, Scharenberg, Sier) even worse recycling of players (Lynch, Mayne, Russell, Marty Clarke, Wells), inability to organise a functioning forward line, baffling selection decisions, chronic injuries particularly in pre-season etc etc....

It's been a confluence of factors that have left the club well behind the leading pack now and probably needing a total overhaul, bottoming out and possibly a revolution at board level to fix it.

Agree with the above.

Indirectly this thread is a backhander on Hine ( by some ) but Hine is nothing more than senior middle management within a corporate organisation.
Let’s say Hine hasn’t been up to scratch, then it’s the resoonsibility of those above him to address his failings.
They are simple questions to ask but nobody seems to be asking them, let alone addressing them. Is Hine ( and others ) good at their job ? Is he ( and others ) working hard enough ? Does he ( and others ) have the resources required

They are simple reviews that can be actioned within all depts inside the club at any given time. I just don’t see this as having occurred in recent years.

Appears that Pert was deemed to be partly responsible for the disconnect and that has been addressed. We need more time to see if he was a major reason for our fall from grace.
My concern is more about the extent of the damage that has been done along the way.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Tezza23 wrote:
Harrysz wrote:

No. It was a lack of due diligence. Scharenberg was badly injured before we drafted him. Also he lacks pace. This should have been evident before we drafted him. Bear in mind this a side without pace. Freeman has had hamstring injuries since his very first practice match. I would be astounded if he had no such issues before he turned 18 and was drafted and then dogged by it for four years, but I have no idea so maybe he was just dumb bad luck. Aish had a good first season with the Lions but his second season was very poor and in fact if I remember correctly he was dropped from their very poor side. He had two years of AFL football to be judged on but in another lack of due diligence we ignored his poor season and went for him to try to anger Brisbane.

Because drafting is an inexact science the whole rationale should be to minimise the risk. Hine is a risk taker. He wants to find that longshot rather than the more reliable choice. That is why his later picks seem to turn out better than his early picks. Sharenberg, Sier, Mclarty, Stephenson and Murray are high risk picks. Some will work most wont. DeGoey looks like a win but its still too early to tell. Moore was a no brainer.

As far as Freeman and Scharenberg go, I think it was just bad luck.

I understand that Freeman had no history of hamstring injuries before injuring himself in the practice match. He looked good in his first 5 flat out steps for the club! What has happened to him is very sad as his life's dream has been destroyed when he was within grasp of it. I don't think that blame can be apportioned in his case.

Scharenberg had a foot problem when he was drafted. Everyone knew that. He overcame that in the expected time. What was unexpected was the subsequent knee problem. Once again, luck of the draw. I too ruptured an ACL years ago. No warning, it occurred during the same action that I had performed a thousand times before. No one was to blame. It just happened. The club can't be blamed for players doing ACL's.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Dawesy31 wrote:
masoncox wrote:

not sure if serious? If you are, then how phucking dare you! You've potted just about every player & official at the club, so now you're starting on us members?!?! Pathetic

Make a list of every player I've potted ...it would be a very short list indeed
same with the officials ...it is Buckley and Ed and Hine and that is all.
Get your facts right.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Post subject: Re: Collective subconsciousReply with quote

Pappatannas wrote:
I’m no psychologist but I do place high value on the power of collective mindset and especially subconsciously.

These are ponderings I’d be curious to know if any resonate with:

1/ could it be that many young players who join Collingwood on a deep level somehow think they’ve made it? Somehow, subconsciously, play out usual professional sports rhetoric and actions that show they are committed yet deep down don’t have the fuel that fires total commitment. ...

So, review all we want but I’m of the belief that a massive effort by psyches would help uncover a subconscious culture that isn’t serving us.

It’s that intangible we need to make tangible

Just my thoughts if they make sense

I think P16 will tell us that the "I've made it" mentality is a problem for most draftees, whichever club they go to. It's up to the club to curb that.

On psychologists: we do not have a club psychologist. (Other clubs do, though each club is different. Overall, the whole AFL seems strangely primitive in this regard, though some clubs are more primitive than others.) I find this obvious gap in our club more than alarming.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Much was made of the reveiw and it’s find and toted as the correct way to move forward and achieve success

I have a feeling they took a look at the situation and hatched up a solution which continued supporting the 2011 desicion

Pulled out a box of Band Aid,s patched up the faults instead of a full service

No thought was for the loyalty of their supporters but only thoughts of themselves—-coming clean and admitting we chose poorly

We as supporters have been rewarded with a long time of pain

Sad I am for the grass roots stand in rain and cold fan

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I genuinely fear we have become 'Carlton' and are only 5 yrs into a 20 year downturn. One short term fix after another will only prolong our agony. Jeez, I hope I'm wrong. In fact I still hope we can some how pull a rabbit out of a hat and beat the Giants this week. We'll probably lose that match, but as long as we don't get smashed, not all is lost. However, if we lose to the scum in round 3, then all hell will break loose. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: