Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
I hope we go on and lose this test and the series disgusting behavior by the Aussies. Smith needs to step down immediately!

We should Forfeit the Game and Series

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Donny wrote:
Just announced. Tim Paine.

Shock to me he be Captain

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Footage came out Bancroft could been doing Ball Tampering in the SCG Test
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:47 pm

An ICC suspension from the final Test against South Africa may be just the start of sanctions for Australia's captain Steven Smith, who alongside his deputy David Warner faces anything up to a life ban for cheating under Cricket Australia's code of behaviour.

More: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22908218/steven-smith-david-warner-face-life-ban-ca

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Donny wrote:

Why, Dave ? Who would you have chosen ?

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm

I think Tim is a fine interim captain, given what we know of him and given the current extraordinary circumstances.

For example, I thought he got zero credit previously for saving the day with regards to the ex-vice-captain --- zero credit, because cricket administrators, players, and journos are now so biased that they created their own fantasy in which the ex-VC did some horrible act that in the real world he had no opportunity to even contemplate because TP wrapped him up and bundled him away from danger. (Faf d P engaged in this fantasy. What a morally bankrupt man he is.)
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
We should Forfeit the Game and Series

Certainly that possibility has been raised in the media (i.e. just bring them all home immediately). But we all know that both boards care too much about money for that to be considered.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-has-done-the-wrong-thing-but-spare-me-the-hysterical-overreaction-20180326-p4z6b1.html

Quote:
What about this admission from England opener Marcus Trescothick in his autobiography, about using mints to shine up the ball: “For the first time, as I dived to gather the ball at square-leg, I landed on my side and a shower of Murray Mints spewed out of my trouser pocket all over the grass right in front of the umpire. Fortunately, neither he nor the two batsmen seemed to take much notice as I scrambled around on all fours trying desperately to gather in the sweets before they started asking awkward questions.”

Former England captain Mike Atherton wrote in the Times that this incident shows a deep "hypocrisy" on Australia's behalf because they have presented themselves “as arbiters of what is appropriate and proper conduct”.

Atherton has only made fleeting reference to the day at Lord’s in 1994 when he used dirt to work on one side of the ball in a similar way Cameron Bancroft did against South Africa.

“Slightly different smell,” he said in an interview on Sky Sports. Evidently, cheating has an array of odours.

The problem seems to be that a critical mass of dishonesty was reached in cricket long ago. Since then, the cricketing nations have seemed obsessed with trying to ensure they bend the rules more than they've convinced themselves others do so that they're not at a disadvantage, while simultaneously trying to entrap those other countries in scandals. It's a little difficult to think of anything similar in any other ballsport.
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Donny wrote:
Mountains Magpie wrote:
Dark Beanie wrote:
Sport in general has been twisted by money and the win at all costs mentality.

Which is part of the reason why people are dropping off in droves.

Tried to get a ticket for Oz home Tests, lately, MM ?

Well Donny, there were 17000 odd in attendance at the SCG on day 5 of the 5th test.

I'm sure I could've wrangled a ticket. Of course that means willingly going to Sydney Laughing

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Irrelevant mate.

Often, 5th. days of Tests are non events - the result being a foregone conclusion or a run glut draw.

17,000 for a 5th. day ? Prety good for a sport where people are dropping off in droves. Smile

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:09 am

Michael Clarke says he'd accept a recall to the Oz team, as Captain, if asked.

Anyone know if he's been playing club cricket ?

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:12 am

From snippits in tonight's Newses, seems Warner and Boof are possibly in big trouble, too.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 am

Donny wrote:
Michael Clarke says he'd accept a recall to the Oz team, as Captain, if asked.

Anyone know if he's been playing club cricket ?

He played in 2016, but I don't know beyond that. That would be an absurd move, but I think only the crazy media are pursuing that possibility, not the board or Clarke himself. Actually, it's not clear Clarke is physically and mentally recovered. His hamstrings and back were beginning to give way, and I don't think he's recovered from the Hughes tragedy.

It must be kind of flattering to Clarke that the media are asking him, but it's insulting to everyone else. TP is fine for the moment. But if one wanted to look outside the squad, guys like George Bailey would do fine as a medium-term crisis captain and could not realistically be worse in actually batting, bowling and fielding (with or without George's weird experiments with batting stance).
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am

Two articles:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22916100/why-australia-outraged-steven-smith-team

B. Coverdale wrote:
"It's tampering, it happens. Move on. Calls for Smith to be sacked - how many captains would've been sacked over the years if everyone did that?"

A cricket-writing colleague, not from Australia, asked me that question on Sunday.

A sprinkling of ex-players have said that ball-tampering is rife at all levels of the game, and that nobody can plead ignorance. That might be true of professional cricketers, and even of many club players. But this is not about them. It is about representing 25 million people and thus being held to higher standards. It is about the fans who trusted the wrong people.

There is no sight in cricket quite like reverse swing, that late tail in, the stumps cartwheeling. But like a steak-lover who turns vegetarian after a visit to the abattoir, the average Australian cricket fan would be happy never to see reverse swing again, now that they have witnessed for themselves what goes into it. The challenge for Australian cricket is to stop fans abstaining from the team entirely.

Still, in the here and now, this scandal is bigger than just cricket. It goes to the heart of Australian national identity. Australia's cricket team is older than the country itself and historically, cricket has been the team sport with the greatest nationwide support in Australia. The public response reflects this affection. Short bans and a loss of leadership positions are the appropriate response. The written Laws of Cricket might tolerate Smith and Lehmann staying on as captain and coach, but the unwritten rules of Australia will not.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/the-secret-cricketer-why-the-ball-tampering-scandal-has-stunned-australian-players-20180326-p4z6cc.html

The Secret Cricketer wrote:
This is where some grey areas of the rules come into play. Anybody who has spent time at or near the top of Australian cricket will tell you they know of instances of a bit of sun cream finding its way onto a ball, or some saliva that may contain traces of Mentos.

If it comes to rest in a concrete gutter after crossing the rope for a boundary, it might get a little twist before being flung back into the keeper. It might clatter into the wicket square on the way. All of this stuff happens with some regularity and in games where they might be one camera, or none, it's just impossible to police.

Nor do players, in my experience, feel particularly outraged by these sort of tactics. There's every chance your team is doing the same thing. Plus, there are plenty of times where none of it seems to have any effect on the behaviour of the pill. Does having a high sugar content in your spit really get a ball to reverse swing? Calling it an inexact science would be an understatement.

BUT... what we all saw in South Africa, played out so blatantly on live television, is a different beast. There has been so much talk about ‘crossing lines’ in this series and I would argue this was one that was bulldozed.

This was pre-planned by the captain and the senior players and left to Bancroft to put into effect. A piece of yellow tape was cut, taken onto the field and used to try and tamper with the physical properties of the ball. It was cringeworthy to watch.

In my long career in Australia and overseas, I can only recall of a foreign object being introduced onto the field four or five times. It was a rare occurrence and viewed very differently by players than rubbing a bit of lotion or sugar to get some extra shine.

My experience is that in the bubble of the team environment, either everybody knows about it or nobody knows about it. Having a scenario where only a select few had an idea what was going on would be highly unusual.

I'm wondering who this "Secret Cricketer" is. I suspect that his identity is not as hard to determine as he thinks. If he actually writes his own stuff instead of having it ghostwritten for him, then it should be even easier.

I also note that he thinks "four or five" instances of ball tampering by his teams is "rare".
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Donny wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Donny wrote:

Why, Dave ? Who would you have chosen ?

I thought it be Nathan Lyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24   

Jump to: