Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

'He will captain again'...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/he-will-captain-again-ponting-backs-smith-to-take-his-old-job-back-20190918-p52sdk.html

Quote:
"Steve Smith – I think he will captain again," Ponting said. "I don't know what the Australian public might think about that."

Ponting pointed to Cricket Australia's decision in 2018 to exclude Smith for consideration from leadership roles for a minimum of 12 months, adding that any return to the captaincy role "would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group".

"So to me that seems like Cricket Australia has left the gate open ... so if Cricket Australia thinks it's OK then I'm happy with [it,]" Ponting said.

[Comment: "He will captain again" and "I think he will captain again" are not the same thing. And "I want him to captain again" (which, to me, "backs" implies) is even more different.
This decision really shouldn't be dependent on the public. The public has behaved totally irrationally in this saga. And I don't even know if Smith was any good as captain tactically. He did throw Maxwell under the bus, which is a clear mark against his captaincy.]
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 pm

K wrote:
Smith will always be remembered as a cheat: Harmison

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/smith-will-always-be-remembered-as-a-cheat-harmison-20190909-p52pjb.html

Quote:
Harmison, who played 63 Tests – including all five games during the epic 2005 Ashes series – suggested it will be impossible to change anybody's opinion.

"I don't think you can forgive him," Harmison told talkSPORT.

"When you're known as a cheat – and he is, I'm not going to sugar-coat it, the three guys cheated – that's on your CV.

"You're marked and you take it to your grave.

"I can't see anybody's opinion changing on Smith, Bancroft, or Warner. Because of what they've done, they've tarnished the game."

[Comment: Harmison is in no position to pass judgement. He was part of the 2005 England team that systematically cheated their way to the Ashes (helped also by Buchanan's incompetence as Oz coach), as described in Trescothick's book.]

In the same breath, does he say that Atherton was also a cheat in the sand in the pocket episode? Otherwise he is being a total hypocrite Rolling Eyes

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am

Big hit: Watson set to become president of cricket players' union

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/big-hit-watson-set-to-become-president-of-cricket-players-union-20191001-p52wiu.html
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Cummins one of three new faces set to join ACA board

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cummins-one-of-three-new-faces-set-to-join-aca-board-20191011-p52zqv.html
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Quote:
Smith said he had been so tired after his record-breaking Ashes tour this year that he had not picked up a bat for a fortnight before resuming with the Blues this week. He spends so much time honing his unique technique that there will be a major debate by selectors and the CA board as to whether it would be best for him to just concentrate on his batting for the rest of his career but continue to have an unofficial leadership role.

Coach-selector Justin Langer said on Saturday there was much to consider.

"We will have to work out what's best. I mean, he saw how exhausted he was from the effort he puts into his batting. Whether he wants the burden of captaincy as well, that'll have to be something we work out over time and timing's an amazing thing as well,' he said on ABC Grandstand.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/shield-wrap-paine-fires-amid-questions-over-test-captaincy-20191011-p52zze.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23   

Jump to: