Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

... The premeditated and outlandish nature of it (sandpaper is not a sweet, FFS) is what makes it grievous and justifies the penalty. ...

The only past incident of ball tampering that I'm confident was not premeditated was Shahid Afridi's biting more or less in front of the umpires. What it lacked in premeditation, it certainly made up for in outlandishness, so much so that it has a certain humour to it.

Some of the unpunished (and actually rewarded) ball tampering seems extremely premeditated...

Hmmm... Let me switch topic for the moment... Well, sort of... (Prompted by a Kiwi's comment) I've just found the details of NZ ball tampering in 1990 so extreme that one of them sliced his finger open in the process. I somehow was not aware of this incident previously (or perhaps I was fleetingly aware and then forgot about it); I think it's probably a case of out of camera view, out of mind. [I'll provide more details in another comment.] I never thought these mediocre cricketers' autobiographies had any value (and some of them desperately need more talented ghostwriters), but I now see that they can be tremendously valuable.

You keep trying to normalize it, but an action involving sandpaper carried onto the field after agreement between three people at the lunch break is egregious. It is deeply premeditated cheating far outside the limit of any ball-tampering seen hitherto in top level cricket. There is a reason there has been such outrage. No doubt there have been lower level incidents in the past, but that is no extenuation.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 am

I'm not normalizing it at all. It's "normal" only by the outrageous moral standards of cricket, aided by a feeble ICC and boards that do not care about the game's health.

Previous cases actually had a far worse effect, but there are more troubling aspects than that. What is more troubling is that they were not punished at all, certainly not by their boards and sponsors and in many cases not by the ICC either. I wish all of them had been severely punished. In many cases, the truth came to light only later, but still something could have been done. It's still not too late for some things to be done about some past actions. The suggestion that I'm "normalizing" everything makes it sound like I want our guys to go unpunished. In fact, I want every offender from every country to be punished. No good can come of only one board acting, driven by hysteria contributed to in large part by people who have broken the spirit or laws of cricket throughout their careers, such as Michael Vaughan. We can debate whether punishments are proportionate to the extent of the crime if there actually are punishments. With zero punishment, technically it can be said that Smith et al. have been punished infinitely more than the others.

It's highly relevant to discuss other cases of ball tampering, especially when many people seem completely oblivious to them. I myself somehow did not recall the NZ incident until someone else (from NZ) somewhat gleefully mentioned it. In that case, it wasn't three people "agreeing to it over lunch", but the team working out their method throughout training before the Test. In their defence, it was just one Test and they allegedly were provoked. In England's case, it was like a huge research project, and it went on for numerous Tests and series, how numerous exactly I'm not sure is publicly known (unless Trescothick has spelled that out in his book too).

If you re-read this thread from the start, I think some of the above is already clear in the early comments. I don't think anyone commenting so far wanted no or light punishment. I also have a lot to say about the sandpaper aspect, etc., which I'll do later.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am

What England does, or what Pakistan does to its players is not relevant to the penalties we give to our cricketers for breaching the rules. Our three can go through the appeal process to get their sentences reduced, but until then it sends a message that we deal harshly with our players who break the rules. Smith's press conference was a train wreck, but he needed our respect and consideration from the press there to interview him, not some of the bullying that went on from a few there.

Smith will learn from the experience and come out of it a better human being and hopefully captain the side again. The reality is he was promoted to the captaincy a little too soon, without the maturity and worldly experience to manage the players around him. When Warner hatched his stupid plan in the rooms with Bancroft to doctor the ball, Smith could have have nipped it in the bud and ordered Warner to stop his plan and get on with the game. That he didn't meant that Warner was controlling the fortunes of the side, rather than the captain. There were signs before this incident with the sledging going on in the previous test, where Warner was almost involved in a punch up and Smith was backing away when he should have been directly intervening to stop Warner. This showed that Smith has lost control over Warner. Warner was doing what he wanted and it affected the performance of the batsmen out on the field. In hindsight Smith will realise that he should have been more forceful in controlling Warner before the ball tampering incident. It's an expensive lesson for Smith to learn and one which will cost him millions, but the upside is that Smith will come out of this a better person for it, so what price do you place on the growing maturity of a human being.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:07 am

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/used-and-abused-david-warner-was-attack-dog-for-a-team-out-of-control-20180330-p4z717.html

Quote:
Cricket Australia made an official complaint about players being sledged about their wives and partners but what hasn't been as widely reported is that Candice Warner and the couple's daughters were also abused directly throughout the second and third Tests, leaving them in tears.

Warner's wife is said to blame herself for the way everything has turned out.

Jones has angered Sutherland by lobbing a personal attack of his own at the CEO with allegations about his teenage son Will's behaviour on trip last year with a junior team in which three hotel rooms were damaged. A Cricket Australia spokesman explained that the damage was paid for and that Will Sutherland, one of those responsible, had written a letter of apology.

It is unclear whether Warner will appeal but sources close to him say his version of events was that more than just three players knew about the efforts to try and rough up one side of the ball last Saturday, claiming there was tacit knowledge in the camp of what was going on even if the use of sandpaper wasn't necessarily spelled out.

The players' union argued that the sanctions dealt out were "considerably higher" than those of the ICC, and disproportionate with those handed down around the world when players had been sprung for "changing the condition of the ball".

They also contested the role of the CA board in deliberating on the penalties, claiming that was outside the scope of the organisation's code of behaviour. They were unhappy that the governing body had not appeared to consider "contextual factors including the environment in South Africa during the series and the impacts on individual players".
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:39 am

All that just sidetracks the main issue. Tough as it is in SA you have an obligation as a test cricketer to get on with the game and represent you country in the spirit of the game. Warner failed to do that and he is responsible for the mess he got himself into and brought down two individuals with him (Smith and Brancroft). He recognises he did the wrong thing and has apologised. Other countries need to recognise their own messes and deal with them. Cricket Australia is dealing with ours including how to deal with the loss of a $20 million advertising deal and all the fallout of accusations of cheating.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:43 am

If the Warners decide to go down the legal path, rightly or wrongly, CA may also be in trouble for not ensuring a safe working environment. Apart from what's apparently happened to his family, CA really should have provided legal and psychological counsel for all three before their press conference in SA. (Healy mentioned this and I agree.) As for what D. Warner recognizes, many people have already noted his "mistakes were made" is pointedly different from "I made mistakes".
Doc63 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:24 pm

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

... The premeditated and outlandish nature of it (sandpaper is not a sweet, FFS) is what makes it grievous and justifies the penalty. ...

The only past incident of ball tampering that I'm confident was not premeditated was Shahid Afridi's biting more or less in front of the umpires. What it lacked in premeditation, it certainly made up for in outlandishness, so much so that it has a certain humour to it.

Some of the unpunished (and actually rewarded) ball tampering seems extremely premeditated...

Hmmm... Let me switch topic for the moment... Well, sort of... (Prompted by a Kiwi's comment) I've just found the details of NZ ball tampering in 1990 so extreme that one of them sliced his finger open in the process. I somehow was not aware of this incident previously (or perhaps I was fleetingly aware and then forgot about it); I think it's probably a case of out of camera view, out of mind. [I'll provide more details in another comment.] I never thought these mediocre cricketers' autobiographies had any value (and some of them desperately need more talented ghostwriters), but I now see that they can be tremendously valuable.

Sanctioned ball tampering has been going on forever.

Before reverse swing was invented, fast bowlers used Brylcream or Vaseline (which they had large doses of in their pockets) to shine the ball all through the innings. Captains may not have instructed their bowlers to do it, but they and everybody else, including umpires, knew it was happening.

I've played in, and umpired, matches where one side of the ball was almost as shiny after 70 overs as it was as the start of play - that doesn't happen naturally.

Now, once the ball stops swinging naturally, bowlers want one side roughed up and the other side smooth to get it to reverse swing. There is no legal way of doing that to the extent that is needed for the ball to really go.

Brylcream, Vaseline or sandpaper, they are all illegal. Captain have either been in on it, or knew it was happening, since the first ball was bowled in anger.

So, the question that needs to be asked is, have they been suspended for so long because of the damage they have done to the game of cricket (spare me!), or the damage they have potentially done to Cricket Australia's bottom line. If you need to think about that for more than 5 seconds, you've never played an official game of cricket at any level.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:29 pm

At what level have you played and umpired, Doc63?
What did you mean by "sanctioned"?!

And, ideally, what do you think should be legal and illegal (ignoring practical issues of law enforcement), if the current written rules are to be clarified or changed?

P.S. The 1977 Vaseline Affair:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/594464.html
Lever blamed his father's heart attack on Bedi's allegedly baseless accusations.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:56 pm

K wrote:
At what level have you played and umpired, Doc63?
What did you mean by "sanctioned"?!

And, ideally, what do you think should be legal and illegal (ignoring practical issues of law enforcement), if the current written rules are to be clarified or changed?

I played at local suburban level, and umpired District (Premier) cricket.

I was a bowler, and I am guilty of picking the seam with my fingernails. Never used a foreign substance though, and reverse swing hadn't been invented.

By sanctioned, I meant by captains - they knew it was happening. Very hard to prove for an umpire - you cant search their pockets, or run your fingers through their hair!!.

Only saliva and sweat should be legal. But then, what is the difference between using saliva or sweat to shine the ball, and using your fingernails to rough it up?

As far as I'm concerned, batsmen have had it too easy for too long. Most pitches are roads, and with the bats they use these days, you can top edge a 6 at the MCG. I would be happy for the MCC to allow bowlers to rough the ball up with their fingernails.

I have seen umpires on TV telling captains to tell fielders to stop landing the ball on the square when throwing from the outfield because it roughs up the ball - that is taking things too far in my opinion.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Doc63 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, batsmen have had it too easy for too long. Most pitches are roads, and with the bats they use these days, you can top edge a 6 at the MCG.

Yes, I agree entirely on this. (I can add that the top-edged 6 would clear the fence easily, even though nowadays it merely needs to clear the boundary rope, which is way too far in to be simply a matter of fielder safety. I can furthermore add that at some grounds even outside edges are flying for 6.) As I've claimed previously, I fear that the state of pitches is an existential threat to the game. I think it has also contributed significantly to the ball-tampering problem.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm

The above is fair comment. I've played football and cricket at junior level as well and agree that the game is favouring the batsmen and there should be strict rules on what you can and cannot do with the ball. Most times the umpires pick it up when the ball gets thrown back to the bowler along the ground rather than in one throw back to the bowler. When fieldsmen spend too long fiddling with the ball before they return it, that might alert the umpire as well.

The bottom line though it that when you scuff the ball illegally (and at high level the fieldsmen know what you can and cannot do), you are conceding that the opposition is better than you and the only way you can beat them is by cheating. That goes against everything that we stand for as a sporting nation. If the opposition has to cheat to beat you, then at least you have the satisfaction of occupying the high moral ground of knowing that the opposition thinks that you are too good for them. There's two aspects to winning. Beating your opponent and acknowledging the efforts of your opponent. That's why we shake our opponent's hand after the game, win or lose. If you have to cheat in order to win, you have no respect for your opponent, which I think was what was going through Warner's head after the sledging incident in the previous test. We had sympathy for Warner when the sledging was directed at Warner's wife. We don't have any sympathy for him now.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:45 am

Warner's press conference...
Highly emotional. Tearful when speaking about family. With wife sobbing in background.
But sounded lawyered up. "Why won't you answer the question?" the journalist said. If that was a legal strategy, would it have been better not to take questions at all?
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm

The questions he wouldn't answer were about who else was involved. He refused to throw anyone else under the bus. Smith and Bancroft did the same thing.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Yes, that was the same line they gave, something to the effect of, "I'm here to speak about myself and take responsibility for my actions only." Good.

However, he also avoided the question whether he'd ever tampered with the ball before (or something similar). The most benign explanation is that his lawyer wanted him to answer every single question with the same stock response, regardless of the unspoken answer. Another rather benign explanation is that his lawyer did not want him to answer that question, in case it turns out he'd once, say, scratched the ball with his fingernail in grade cricket. The UK press will no doubt assume a different explanation.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/plot-thickens-with-smith-unaware-of-key-elements-of-tempering-plan-20180331-p4z78m.html

Quote:
Fairfax Media can reveal investigators were told Smith did not know how the plan would be carried out until after Bancroft had been exposed on the big screen. It's believed they found Smith had expressed his dislike of the plan but did not attempt to stop it.

It's understood CA's investigation found that the sandpaper was used twice on the ball, which umpires believed had not been sufficiently altered to warrant replacement, and had come from a kit bag though it's unclear who supplied it for use. Sandpaper is commonly used by players to smooth their bats.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/more-turmoil-likely-as-banished-trio-consider-legal-options-20180331-p4z78k.html

Quote:
Warner is expected to argue that the punishment was excessive because knowledge of Australia's tactics was more well known than CA has found and because in producing their judgment and sentence the intense strain brought out by the abuse of his family was not taken into account.

The Warner camp also claim he did not receive adequate support during a month in which his wife Candice was insulted repeatedly, firstly to his face by South African wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock in Durban, and then by spectators in Port Elizabeth and Cape Town who shouted abuse and wore T-shirts and Sonny Bill Williams masks to taunt the couple.

The Australian Cricketers' Association has also raised five "glaring and clear anomalies" in CA's sanctioning of the three players, arguments that will be seized upon in appeals.

They have also queried why the CA board was involved in deliberating on the sanctions outside the scope of the code of behaviour and questioned why the governing body's public statements had "not referenced consideration of contextual factors including the environment in South Africa during the series and the impacts on individual players".

Finally, they questioned "the rush to place players before the world's media last Saturday night without the benefit of considered and coherent advice".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24   

Jump to: