Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The President Eddie McGuire Debate v2.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I still want E McGuire as President of my football club?
Yes - still the best person for the job
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
No - has run his race and we need fresh ideas
65%
 65%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 100

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
The only person who was close to putting his hand up was a salesman of expensive used cars. I trust car salesman about the same as politicians. At the moment there is no alternative. In saying that if someone wanted to challenge, now is the time.

Exactamundo.

All this drivel about "it's time to go Eddie" is pointless, unless someone nominates who they think would do a better job. I can't think of anyone as well connected as Eddie, who also bleeds black and white. As a matter of fact, I reckon a lot of his current detractors would be longing for him to return, if he was replaced by a soulless business type.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Culprit wrote:
The only person who was close to putting his hand up was a salesman of expensive used cars. ...

Who is this used-car salesman?

Is your (C's, RB's,...) argument now mainly: who would replace him? (This is one that has been raised previously.)

Well, ... I do see Rudey's last comment mentions "well-connected", etc., so I guess that's still the argument about bringing in sponsorship dollars...

Just asking...
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Nick Theodossi
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I see. Thanks for that. I've never heard of this person before.

I'm also wondering exactly how much of a time commitment the presidency is. Or a non-president board position, for that matter... Or similar positions outside the CFC administration.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Do you really think that the President needs to spend that much time on the Club?
They have about 10 Board meetings a year.
He/She needs to get the staffing right and set the culture. That is about 95% of the job.
If you think there is not any suitable canditates out there then you are delusional.
You don't even need a football person.
Hell, I thought Jeff Kennett would have been ok, but he is back at Hawthorn now.
You need someone who is a professional organiser not a family connected person or a yesterday hero or a bloody big mouth.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:06 pm

masoncox wrote:
You don't even need a football person.
Hell, I thought Jeff Kennett would have been ok, but he is back at Hawthorn now.
You need someone who is a professional organiser not a family connected person or a yesterday hero or a bloody big mouth.

For a certain reasonable definition of "football person", none of the presidents is a football person. Certainly not Eddie. In that sense, I can't disagree.

Jeff? You'd be happy with an oppo supporter as president? That's quite radical. A non-AFL follower would be less radical.
MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm

It doesn't matter if the President is low profile.

The board sets the culture and it sets the governance of the club.

The CEO is a F/T gig and he is crucial in balancing the books, retaining memberships and overseeing the success of the football department with the football manager.

What made Collingwood great is the board and the admin had a real connection and engagement with it's members and supporters. There was little pretension and there was a culture that everyone wanted to buy into.

Right now, that is lacking. Eddie is a Toorak person first now. He cares more for how he is perceived by the Portsea & Toorak set than the people who underpin this club, the supporters.

That falls on Eddie. He would much rather fixture AFLW games at the Glasshouse rather than at our spiritual base in Victoria Park. Forget the council issues, if he really cared, he would be able to get the council onside. This is just one example.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm

^^^^
To K
Two points.
1. Our last 2 premiership coaches were from oppo clubs.
2. By a football person I meant a Club supporter.
Ed is a strong Collingwood supporter.
The issue with an outsider like Kennett would be what is in it for him/her.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-headlines-afl-s-new-competition-committee-20180406-p4z88b.html
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm

K wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-headlines-afl-s-new-competition-committee-20180406-p4z88b.html
Maybe Ed can swing the first 20 draft picks to the Pies in this years draft.
MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:07 am

Tigers have hit 90 k members. Tigers are clearly the biggest club
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:06 am

MemberNo118 wrote:

There is a lot of them around but, if you don't count 'membership' we're still the biggest... not that that makes us the 'greatest' sigh...

MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
MemberNo118 wrote:

There is a lot of them around but, if you don't count 'membership' we're still the biggest... not that that makes us the 'greatest' sigh...

The difference b/w them and us is they are going to profit fully off their flag. They should be up for a few years as they have a young side.
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
There are plenty of candidates out there who are qualified to run a major sporting company business like ours.

None of them, though, can win an "election".

No, we're stuck with him. And the Republic will continue to crumble...

Agree, and though the poll results above show some sign of hope, we are still a club full of kool-aid drinkers

MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm

The trouble is there are plenty of high profile candidates. These include people like John Bertrand, Stephen Conroy and John Brumby just to name a few. Don't worry about the names, worry about the process.

Eddie has set up the election process so that no one can run. Even before they are tempted to run, they are pressured not to run.

If you have worked in a corporate setting and have a tertiary education, you understand the importance of governance, transparency and a continued refreshing of the executive. I'm certain the review conducted by Peter Murphy last year identified the flaws at Collingwood with this.

A club is poor if it doesn't have succession planning and promotes leadership from within and externally. Eddie's legacy at Collingwood is now a very poor club who is being left behind by the likes of Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond.

The club resembles Melbourne in the 1980's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: