Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The President Eddie McGuire Debate v2.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I still want E McGuire as President of my football club?
Yes - still the best person for the job
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
No - has run his race and we need fresh ideas
65%
 65%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 100

MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie has overstayed his welcome. He needs Collingwood more to boost his profile amongst the Toorak elite more than Collingwood needs him.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:07 pm

I want our next President to be low key, like Richmonds. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Why do you want our next President to be low key like Richmonds?
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:35 am

In 2011 I would've given him the job for life. Even 2 years ago I woulda said keep him. But the bullshit review finished it, giving that spud 2 more years proved it finally, Easily our worst coach, by a mile, have 2 more years, and still theres no confidence in our boys, he can't get a team behind him, never will. When he finally pisses off he'd be very lucky to get an assistant job, maybe a SANFL assistant... Tiwi islands seconds?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:07 am

Is this Eddie's 30th Poll loss? A lot is riding on tonight as crowds are down and the ramifications of that is simple in business terms. Everyone must remember that this is a Business. Downturn in attendance means the "Brand" is damaged and simply not attractive for Sponsorship/Membership. This equals a downturn in profits and just like any Business when this transpires heads must roll. The club had a bullshit review that was basically smoke and mirrors to pull the wool over the sheep eyes. In saying that for Eddie to go we need a replacement and one of equal value. I reckon Eddie is worth 20 Million a year to the club so who can bring that and the main thing actually wants to be President? It's a thankless job at any level of Football.

If Eddie wants to stay on he and the board will have to sack Buckley even though Buckley has the injury excuse once again. I have no doubt the players are playing for the coach but their non performance won't save him if we are 0-10 after Round 10 is completed. A weeks a long time in football and a win tonight changes all that.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 am

Culprit wrote:
Is this Eddie's 30th Poll loss? A lot is riding on tonight as crowds are down and the ramifications of that is simple in business terms. Everyone must remember that this is a Business. Downturn in attendance means the "Brand" is damaged and simply not attractive for Sponsorship/Membership. This equals a downturn in profits and just like any Business when this transpires heads must roll. The club had a bullshit review that was basically smoke and mirrors to pull the wool over the sheep eyes. In saying that for Eddie to go we need a replacement and one of equal value. I reckon Eddie is worth 20 Million a year to the club so who can bring that and the main thing actually wants to be President? It's a thankless job at any level of Football.

If Eddie wants to stay on he and the board will have to sack Buckley even though Buckley has the injury excuse once again. I have no doubt the players are playing for the coach but their non performance won't save him if we are 0-10 after Round 10 is completed. A weeks a long time in football and a win tonight changes all that.

Can't argue with most of that. Our resurgence starts tonight.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Culprit wrote:
... In saying that for Eddie to go we need a replacement and one of equal value. I reckon Eddie is worth 20 Million a year to the club so who can bring that and the main thing actually wants to be President? ...

Okay, the most concrete pro-Eddie claim so far, and this from an anti-Eddie comment.

How exactly would Eddie be worth $20m/yr to the club, i.e. by which exact actions amounting to what exact cash inflow?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:32 pm

^^It's not simply fiscally out of his pocket. It's what he brings as in "it's not what you know it's who you know" Many of the deals that get done are done directly from contacts from Eddie. I am not pro Eddie either, I am stating what I feel he brings. You can disagree with that if you like.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:40 pm

^^^
Of course I wasn't suggesting that you were suggesting he's personally donating money to the club. And note that my previous comment said "and this from an anti-Eddie comment", so I'm well aware you're not pro-Eddie from your previous comment.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing on this point (at this point). I'm just trying to have it clarified (and not just by you -- others may agree with the basic point but, say, disagree on the dollar value). I gather you're saying the following: Eddie has business contacts, he uses those to speak to people, and that action brings in sponsorship in excess of what John Doe would, to the value of $20m, which is kind of just a guessed number. Is that fair?

[In case you weren't following the entire thread, let me add: the context was that the OP asked those in favour of Eddie for their reasons, but no one has taken him up on that in the ensuing week, as far as I can see.]

Last edited by K on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm

K wrote:
Culprit wrote:
... In saying that for Eddie to go we need a replacement and one of equal value. I reckon Eddie is worth 20 Million a year to the club so who can bring that and the main thing actually wants to be President? ...

Okay, the most concrete pro-Eddie claim so far, and this from an anti-Eddie comment.

How exactly would Eddie be worth $20m/yr to the club, i.e. by which exact actions amounting to what exact cash inflow?

Most of the money comesfrom media rights and membership.
Don't think Ed has much influence on those.
With sponsorship Ed's contacts would help .....but no where near 20 million.
We only turn over about 80 mil a year. So one quarter would not be because of Ed.
Also, being the president of CFC helps Ed in a big way by indirect exposure.
He is a media player not a paper and cardboard man like Pratt.
And as some have said...any publicity is good publicity when you are in that game.
MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:58 pm

The greatest myth is Eddie McGuire does it all for free and no personal gain.

He used the brand of Collingwood to lift his public profile. And he still uses that to boost his media career and his networks within Toorak and the ALP.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:58 pm

The club's sponsorship deal with Holden was reported to be worth more than $3 million annually.
The sponsorship with Emirates was reportedly $10 million over 5 years.
CGU extended their sponsorship until the end of 2022 -- for an amount unknown to me.
Are there other significant sponsors? Is Latrobe Financial still a sponsor? I seem to recall Star Athletic appeared and disappeared in a blink.

After pondering all of that, we'd have to ponder what it would be sans Eddie...

[Actually, some of that sponsorship is despite Eddie, not because of Eddie, or even independent of Eddie. (Bad memories are returning. Sigh.) That means we actually have to at least consider the possibility that the net sponsorship due to Eddie is a negative number.]
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Culprit wrote:
In saying that for Eddie to go we need a replacement and one of equal value. I reckon Eddie is worth 20 Million a year to the club so who can bring that and the main thing actually wants to be President? It's a thankless job at any level of Football.

I believe this is one of the main reasons people are happy for Eddie to stay.

Happy to consider a viable alternative.
Like most voluntary roles, whether it be a junior sports club or an AFL club it is usually the same people putting their hand up (or other people suggesting them).
A few names have been put forward on this forum but no one can confirm if anyone is actually interested in the gig.

MemberNo118 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:39 pm

The fact that people are happy for him to stay highlights why the club is in a poor state on and offield. Good organisations breed good leadership and they have a culture of prudent governance.

They refresh the leadership team on a regular basis and they don't have a preoccupation with high profile names. Who can tell me who the president of Richmond is? Or perhaps Geelong? Anyone know who Sydney's is?

The issue for Eddie is he has let a close friendship to him takeover the club's best interests. He is too stubborn to admit he stuffed up.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:47 pm

The only person who was close to putting his hand up was a salesman of expensive used cars. I trust car salesman about the same as politicians. At the moment there is no alternative. In saying that if someone wanted to challenge, now is the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: