Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We need something different

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:45 am

die4pies wrote:
What we have now is supposed to be "different"
"Better facilities" that "guarantee success"
I've never properly understood why a club that was the biggest and best by every measure would ever need to be different.

The "different" hasn't worked and it isn't going to work while every other club leap-frogs us every year with their own brand of "different"

11 years ago when I joined Nicks I foolishly thought we could go back. Go back to being successful. Go back to being the Club that meant something, that stood for something. And not stupid misquoted throw away lines like "If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing"....ironically the actual quote is "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything".

"Let's make Collingwood great again" I'm still waiting for the hat to come out
Next we will get; "All you so-called supporters complaining are all dead to me"

This IS the 'new' Collingwood. You are living it.
You stand for nothing and you fall for anything
This is not the Collingwood I grew up loving. Whatever this brand is that is masquerading in our beloved black and white stripes is NOT Collingwood.

Bed is made unfortunately....

Thank you for your passionate post. I for one can identify with your position. I too am frustrated with the urgings from the top to stick with our team no matter what, when it just not seem to be working.
I think though that Eddie and co are just as disappointed as the rest of us, that Eddie is old school (like me for example ) and believes that you stick with your team through the bad times as well as the good. I don't believe he is trying to mislead us, just grasping at straws in a vain effort to keep the supporter base afloat. And who knows... the ship may just right itself Surprised but if not, we will need to accept the reality of the situation. Still some games to go though.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:01 am

Our midfield needs a freshen up and the quickest way to do it is by adding Maynard and de Goey upon his return to the mix.

Both of these players if they possess the mental desire have the physical attributes and natural hardness to become footballers who can intimidate the opposition with a fierce attack on the ball and fly the flag for teammates when they're under siege.

Our side needs some old fashioned Collingwood mongrel.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 am

^ yes, I thought the same tonight. We were out bodied and we need some bigger, nuggety blokes in the centre clinches. JdG is a part of the answer. Levi would not hurt either.
HAL 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:10 am

Was this something you planned?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Clearly Moore and Reid need to swap ends.

This would be a baffling move.

If we do that after one week, I'll call for Buckley's sacking.

The club needs to have confidence in its decisions. Chopping and changing week to week is not going to help anyone.

Jpies 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Big Dan wrote:
Can any one list our spine, end to end? Not just in the 1st's but also the 2's?

All I see is a list with 95% the same size, shape and skill.

Given it takes 4-5 years for recruits to really hit their straps, it is actually frightening how long it may take to regenerate to a competitive level.

Could a club have recruited any less poorly over the last 6 years?

Have thought of that. But Charlie Curnow has come on well for the scum, so things could turn around more quickly than we think. Really keen to see McLarty play in the 1's this year. Could offer something up forward.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Maybe we should just let Grundy ruck all day with brief spells of support from Moore, and then play with an extra runner. Clearly Moore and Reid need to swap ends.

Outs: Cox, Smith, Phillips

Ins: Sier, Brown, Fasolo

What have you seen in Sier that makes you think he's up to it? Serious question.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 pm

The something different we need is simple in theory, it has been for 2 seasons.

We need a forward 6 that can kick goals and hold the ball in the forward 50,
We need a midfield that can deliver the ball to that forward line in a manner that gives them a better than 50-50 chance.

Fix those 2 things and we're 2018 premiers. don't fix them and we're 14th

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:16 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Clearly Moore and Reid need to swap ends.

This would be a baffling move.

If we do that after one week, I'll call for Buckley's sacking.

The club needs to have confidence in its decisions. Chopping and changing week to week is not going to help anyone.

True. But persisting with something that isn't working won't help anyone either.

If Cox isn't clunking marks in the forward line, then our tall forward options are limited. Moore looked more threatening in the last quarter than Cox and Reid did for three quarters.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 am

dalyc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Outs: Cox, Smith, Phillips

Ins: Sier, Brown, Fasolo

What have you seen in Sier that makes you think he's up to it? Serious question.

I don't know Rudey's thinking... but I will say that Sier makes JDG look like a dwarf.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:07 am

Rude we all agree things need to change and change quickly.
We're playing GWS known for gut running, very good skills, a monster forward line & smart players like Greene at the fall of the ball.
So based on our last effort about 18 new players are needed.
Unfortunately the AFL won't allow us to go out and get 18 new players
The other side of the coin is even if we got 18 new players we need a coach who can coach them to style that can win games. This hasn't happened for years now in fact many say we've gone backwards every year. That's hard to argue with really considering we've been finishing around 12th most years. Just enough shown to keep the faithful from storming the Holden centre and start lynching people but not enough to get us s finals appearance and not bad enough to get us som real top end talent in the draft.
Now Rude considering we can't do any of the above were does that actually leave us ?
We have 4 best 22 players out injured one who's is our most reliable goal kicker and one now probably our most skilful player.
Doesn't leave us many option really.
So being objective let's start with what we don't do well and see were we can improve.
1 - Running to support a team mate or giving him a good option is a real weakness of ours. Our players once they dispose of the ball don't keep running to advantage (ok some do but most don't). We don't get our players into dangerous positions. Watching teams like GWS Swans & Richmond on the weekend there player run and keep,running forward of the ball getting into dangerous places making it hard for the oppostion. We don't have enough of that so we need more runners for a start. So who can come in and run and keep running or do we just reposition the players we have with good motors or speed ?
2 - Defensively we look half decent but we have a couple major issues. Firstly we lack a true fullback to play on the gorillas. Dunn tries his best and he's been good for us but he isn't the long term fix. Moore's body isn't capable of doing it but having him play as the 3rd man up is our advantage. Maybe it's time to try McLarty and see what he brings. Also we keep persisting with the same players making the same skill errors coming out of defence. Maynard Adams Crisp Langdon are all ball butcherers. On the weekend they constantly handed the ball back so easily and it kept coming back in too often. Murray for a first gamer did OK, Howe is decent Dunn has a good boot & Moore is. Enter than average so we need 2 more who can kick. Scharenberg is a no brainer he's near the best defensive kick we have over 30-40 meters. I would be sending Varcoe back as well. He's a good kick and can run off his man and apply loads of pressure. So back 6 would be Murray Dunn Howe Varcoe Moore Scharenberg
Crisp goes to the bench and is used on the middle with Mayanrd and Adams as a ball winner not user. Langdon is dropped. He cost us 6 goals on the weekend and his lack of match awareness was so glaring one ponders how he ever made it onto a AFL list but given we talking Collingwood it isn't that big of a surprise.
3 - Our mid field w soundly beaten on the weekend. Only Sidey played anywhere near his best and I would hate to think how bad it could have been without him. Pendles looked like a man at his wits end. I'm sure the ongoing poor performances of his team mates has dragged him down mentally. It's a shame because his place in the history of the club shouldn't be tarnished by being exposed to the tripe his team mates keep dishing up. We need to win the ball at the contest and if we lose it we have to apply maximum pressure for the man trying to use it. Mayanrd Adams Brown Crisp & maybe Seir need to do this. Our outside men must use the ball well when we get it and keep running forward. Sidey Treloar Pendles Phillips Stephenson all must go at better than 70% by foot & 90% by hand for us to be a chance. We need to take the game on like we practise all the preseason. Be bold be brave.
4 - Our lackluster display in front of goal is nothing new. It's been happening for years now. With no Elliott or Faz it makes life tougher. Last season when we took 14 or mor marks inside 50 we went 7-1. On the weekend we took 6 the result was obvious.
Cox had a dirty day but with no Elliott or Faz we have limited options. He may get a week off anyways so we might have to look at a complete restructure of the forward line. Reid did good in tough conditions and with poor service. If Cox is out Reid goes to FF with WHE to CHF and use his athletism. Around him we need to put some X factor and footy smarts. Either Sidey or Pendles have to spend time forward we just don't have enough skill forward otherwise. I would bring in Daicos and Kirby as well. Daicos for his forward pressure and Kirby simply because he has the skills to be able to kick 3 or more if the ball hits the ground. He has that thing you can't coach

Lastly we need the coach to be bold and brave. Through moves around that make the oppostion adjust away from the style or structure they want to play. Move Grundy to FF at the first bounce if Cox plays. He offers something more up forward with his athletism. Move the magnets around. Make the game ugly slow and messy if we have but we can't let them just run free and play the style they want. If we do I cringe at what the score line could be. We actually have a decent record against this mob
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:11 am

Most people hear about me that way.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 am

Doc63 wrote:
We need a different coach, that's what we need.

Could have had Dew - oh well.

Only 43 games to go.

Yep I said it for a while !

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 am

How long? the skills to be able to kick 3 or more if the ball hits the ground. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: