Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The dark stain of the succession cannot be erased by rubbing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prometheus Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:30 am

Richmond won a premiership for the first time in 37 years with a female President who sounds very much American.

If that's all possible then I have no fear for Collingwood moving forward without Ed.

Hell who can name more than a few other club Presidents anyway?

In reality his great work was complete at the end of 2010 and now 8 years down the track he's bet the house on Buckley turning around our fortunes this season which to me was driven more by hope in Buckley the man than the on field results produced by Buckley the coach.

If we fail to fire again this year then the coach and the architect of the succession plan should both own it and walk so we can get a fresh start.

Ed has made his mark at Collingwood, we thank him but after 20 years at the helm hard to argue it isn't time anyway.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 am

The fact that Eddie gives his seal of approval to the 'new' footy show and clearly bypassed all professional and normal practises for developing a new club logo and brand story should tell you all you need to know...McGuire is DONE.

Thank you Eddie, you helped keep us afloat, we made some Grand Finals, even won one, but it's over. No need to go out on a high. Just hand it over. PLEASE!!!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 am

Redlight wrote:
When Buckley was appointed he was the hottest property on the coaching market. ...
If Buckley fails this year he should go. However McGuire should stay. ...

I understand the strong negative feelings about Buckley. The crap about McGuire is exactly that. Crap.

Is that really true? Buckley got a huge amount of media attention because of who he is, but were there really clubs wanting to parachute him into the senior coaching spot? Are there any sources on this? More than once over the years, North seems to have denied actually offering him their position.

This thread is about the succession plan specifically. Unfortunately, though, McGuire has made many more questionable decisions than that. I would actually understand the opposite feelings, namely, that McGuire has far more culpability for the club's failures than Buckley. And, personally, I believe it's far easier to find a good president, especially for Collingwood, than to find a good coach.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:53 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
... Instead they resort to personally rubbishing two greats of our club, casting all sorts of vitriol in their direction. ...

This whole season will tell I believe and if we don't improve, although it will break my heart to see Eddie and Bucks leave, I'll agree that it's time for change.

I find very strong emotional attachments to a player, especially one like Buckley, easy to understand. I am rather puzzled, however, by the same attachments to a Director or President. Even the lumping of them together, as in "two greats of our club", seems somewhat incongruous to me.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:00 am

Well one thing is for sure - once this is done, and they're done - this will never be allowed to happen at our club again... got to look at the positives
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 am

^^^
(Bad) history can and does repeat, sometimes over and over again. If there's something everyone agrees needs never to be allowed to happen again, then suitable mechanisms need to be put in place to prevent it happening again.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 am

i think this shows that Collingwood greats don't make good coaches our last 2 premiership coaches were not from Collingwood. I think people need to et away from bucks the champion player to Bucks the coach. People get angry at other pies supporters cause people having a go at Bucks due to his coaching because they don't want to tarnish bucks legacy at collingwood
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 am

Cam wrote:
We could just as well come out and beat the Giants... then get rolled by the Blues. That's the kind of situation we have.

Less and less likely these days.

In previous years, we could play a high intensity game here and there and win some games unexpectedly. That manic pressure which was sustainable for a game or two but unable to be sustained over 23 weeks.

But this year's team doesn't even have that manic intensity. The only possible strength in this team - the midfield - are overall poor. Peddles is done, Adams and Treloar can't dispose of the ball.

I want us to keep losing now and for the media pressure to become so great that the club is forced to act and remove Buckley as coach because it is clear that Buckley won't do what's in the best interest of the Club and walk.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:17 am

Guys. I think we're losing sight of the bigger picture here. Eddie and Bucks don't run out onto the field and didn't affect the result last night. Blame the 22 who played last night. That was an abysmal performance against a team who I don't think will make the eight this year. We should be focusing our attention on next week's game against GWS who are my tip to win the flag this year. What's done in the past is done and dusted as far as I'm concerned and the only point about raising it again for the one millionth time is to learn from your mistakes to get better going forward. Redlight is right. This is all revionism of the worst kind to find fall guys to explain away our fall from the top so we can pat ourselves on the back and say we knew all along the succession plan wouldn't work out and aren't we clever now.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:20 am

Some people here are either clearly club plants or are in lala land and need medical attention
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Guys. I think we're losing sight of the bigger picture here. Eddie and Bucks don't run out onto the field and didn't affect the result last night. Blame the 22 who played last night. That was an abysmal performance against a team who I don't think will make the eight this year. We should be focusing our attention on next week's game against GWS who are my tip to win the flag this year. What's done in the past is done and dusted as far as I'm concerned and the only point about raising it again for the one millionth time is to learn from your mistakes to get better going forward. Redlight is right. This is all revionism of the worst kind to find fall guys to explain away our fall from the top so we can pat ourselves on the back and say we knew all along the succession plan wouldn't work out and aren't we clever now.

And the excuses have started. Dot blame Bucks, instead, give him 5 more years and 5 more drafts to build his team.

The on-field performance is the fault of Buckley. He IS to blame for what we do out on the ground.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 am

Snip:

What'sinaname wrote:

And the excuses have started. Dot blame Bucks, instead, give him 5 more years and 5 more drafts to build his team.

The on-field performance is the fault of Buckley. He IS to blame for what we do out on the ground.

At least he was aptly named, i.e Buckley's chance, pass the buck, etc etc

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 am

Redlight wrote:
Cam wrote:
They should have backed themselves. Given Malthouse another year, let Buckley go to North for 5 years. Or Buckley should have remained assistant for another year and let MMs brigade take its natural course towards ending. IF he could coach then he could have come back and been the messiah, provided the interim coach after MMs poor health intervened was no good either.

But they didn't, they rushed in with a great idea at the time, and it didn't and hasn't worked. That's not revisionist. It had its chance. History is written to reflect what happened, not what we hoped would happen.

Ed has been everything to Collingwood, but 20 years is a long time as the person at the top. And as the Footy Show illuminates... its not the same place now as when he started. Fresh start.

It is revisionist in the sense that it ignores much of what actually happened at the time. Malthouse had a further crack at coaching and failed abjectly. That absolutely justifies Ed's decision. Post the handover Ball, Reid, Toovey, McCaffer, Krakoeur, Johnson, Shaw, Tarrant, Jolly, Thomas and Didak missed significant amounts of footy, then many left/retired which has muddied the waters regarding Buckley's abilities as a coach.

Your initial post indicates that everything that has gone wrong is due to the succession plan. It's nonsense. The conclusion you've drawn is that Buckley and McGuire have to go. That's also nonsense.

If 2018 is a failure, then Buckley is almost certainly history. The connection to McGuire is tenuous at best. If we're to replace McGuire then we'll need to see a replacement that is demonstrably better.

Good luck with that.

Is that you Eddie?

Yeah great idea, let's give Pappa Doc another two decades

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 am

What'sinaname wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

If you care to listen, we botched up the draft years between 2012 - 2014 where our success rate of the draftees was probably the worst of the 18 clubs. In the last couple of years we have introduced some decent recruits who are going to be the backbone of the side for the next 10 years. Buckley may or may not be part of the next generation of players coming through but he is laying the foundation for the next generation of players. If he goes then the baton passes to a new coach and maybe a new president as well, but I don't get get this spite directed against a coach who has given his heart and soul to this club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: