Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Delayed surgery bullshit

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:02 pm
Post subject: Delayed surgery bullshitReply with quote

Taylor Adams now joins the list it’s becoming bullshit all of this delayed surgery on the eve of the season I just don’t get it the should be an explaination from the club this is not on its crap losing players now
Adz 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We never learn. Didn’t this delayed surgery start with Thomas back in the day.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:10 pm

By "we" do you mean you and me?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Adz wrote:
We never learn. Didn’t this delayed surgery start with Thomas back in the day.

you only here about the delayed ones - just sayin

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Surgery is a last resort because natural healing hasn't worked.
There's nothing bullshit at all about what has happened.
If you want to accuse them of anything, accuse them of being sensible.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm

He’s got a fractured finger and will be back by round three.
Hardly career threatening.
There are a few on here who are going to be in for a very stressful season if that’s what’s doing your head in.

This is the reason why we have “ depth “ on our list.
Adz 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

We won’t be beating without him.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:45 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

This. People die in surgery all the time (trust me, i know what i'm talking about here). It should not be treated as casually as taking Panadol. Surgery also presents risks that natural healing does not. absolutely nothing wrong with taking a wait and see approach. ESPECIALLY, when the only downside is that the player might miss round 1 and 2!!!!! Its not like we are going to miss the finals because Adams misses round 1 and 2.

If anything, its a blessing. We just shortened the load that will be on Adams this season by 2 weeks which might actually help him come September.

Speaking of which, do you think the club might consider a rotation policy for the midfielders (since we have so many), where one of the them gets a rest each week such that each of them play 19 games each instead of 22?

I was thinking that maybe we take in 6 of these 7: Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Beams, Adams, Sier, DeGoey (or whoever else is the 7th mid).

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 am

E wrote:
People die in surgery all the time (trust me, i know what i'm talking about here).

People you knew? Sorry, if that's the case.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:19 am

K wrote:
E wrote:
People die in surgery all the time (trust me, i know what i'm talking about here).

yes. Thanks K.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:28 am

Yep, I've always been a "surgery is the last resort" sort of person, unless it's quite obvious that natural healing won't occur relatively quickly. Plus, it's better he misses games at the start of the season than the end.

I reckon if Tay has to miss some opening rounds, he'll be like a raging bull when he finally gets to play Laughing

Quote:
Speaking of which, do you think the club might consider a rotation policy for the midfielders (since we have so many), where one of the them gets a rest each week such that each of them play 19 games each instead of 22?

Hate to even think it, but I reckon injuries may inflict their own natural rotation system through the season. However, if there's room for resting midfielders in the back half of the season, I'd say the idea has merit.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:

yes. Thanks K.

In my primary school days a boy two years older then me, whose brother was in my class, broke his collarbone. No big deal, it happens all of the time. He went to hospital. He was operated on. He died during the operation. Apparently, a mistake was made by the anaesthetist.

Fast forward many years. My eldest son was 13 and slipped when hanging from a basketball ring, fell about 10 feet and landed on his head and shoulder, breaking his collar bone. His coach tried hard to convince us that he should have a plate and screws inserted to reduce the time he would be out of the team, rather than just letting it heal. We were never going to agree to that, but we mentioned it to the surgeon anyway, who thought that surgery whilst possible was just too big a risk. I think of that every time a player in the AFL has a plate inserted to be back sooner.

The other issue to consider is the cumulative effect of anaesthetic upon the body, and specifically, upon athletic performance. That's accepted as a condition overseas but as I understand it the medical profession here still challenges it, and certainly normally doesn't warn patients about it pre-operation.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:59 pm

E wrote:

This. People die in surgery all the time (trust me, i know what i'm talking about here). It should not be treated as casually as taking Panadol. Surgery also presents risks that natural healing does not. absolutely nothing wrong with taking a wait and see approach. ESPECIALLY, when the only downside is that the player might miss round 1 and 2!!!!! Its not like we are going to miss the finals because Adams misses round 1 and 2.

If anything, its a blessing. We just shortened the load that will be on Adams this season by 2 weeks which might actually help him come September.

I was thinking that maybe we take in 6 of these 7: Pendles, Treloar, Sidey, Beams, Adams, Sier, DeGoey (or whoever else is the 7th mid).

Agree E. I don’t have a problem with Adams missing the first couple. It’s such a bloody long season. You need a few ( short term ) injuries through the season anyway. There’s no point in having guys like Aish and Daicos, Quaynor etc playing VFL all season and then have to call on them in a final because we got our “ first “ injury in Sept.

The only time you really get the luxury of rotating / resting mids is when you’re sitting on top of the ladder and a game or two clear. Otherwise, nearly all clubs are forced to go at 100 % in order to keep close to the leaders.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:59 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:

yes. Thanks K.

In my primary school days a boy two years older then me, whose brother was in my class, broke his collarbone. No big deal, it happens all of the time. He went to hospital. He was operated on. He died during the operation. Apparently, a mistake was made by the anaesthetist.

Fast forward many years. My eldest son was 13 and slipped when hanging from a basketball ring, fell about 10 feet and landed on his head and shoulder, breaking his collar bone. His coach tried hard to convince us that he should have a plate and screws inserted to reduce the time he would be out of the team, rather than just letting it heal. We were never going to agree to that, but we mentioned it to the surgeon anyway, who thought that surgery whilst possible was just too big a risk. I think of that every time a player in the AFL has a plate inserted to be back sooner.

The other issue to consider is the cumulative effect of anaesthetic upon the body, and specifically, upon athletic performance. That's accepted as a condition overseas but as I understand it the medical profession here still challenges it, and certainly normally doesn't warn patients about it pre-operation.

I recall a similar thing in the middle-ish seventies at my school. An older brother (still a teenager) had, IIRC, a minor motor-bike accident and died on the operating table having shoulder surgery because - as it was told to us -the hospital concerned used the 10c, rather than 20c ventilation tube connection and the cheaper connection failed.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 pm

I don't think this is part of some club conspiracy. They've clearly explored every other option before deciding that surgery is the only way to go. At worst he misses a couple of rounds at the start of the season. By Anzac day he'll be fine and ready to tear the drug cheats a new one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: