Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucks5 wrote:
It is a subscriber only article. Hopefully I am allowed to do this.

Mason Cox opens up about the football traditions he originally struggled with but now embraces

MASON COX, Herald Sun
August 15, 2018 12:00pm
Subscriber only

UNIQUE. I can’t think of a better word to describe the AFL to people from back home who have never seen the game, or experienced the roar of the ‘mighty MCG.’

It’s easy to tell them about the big hits, marks and goals, but when it comes to some of the individual nuances, that is where the questions really flood in.

There are some things that don’t need explaining but as for ‘finger pistols’, little men running around in hot pink outfits and some quirky moments in the VFL — even I still struggle to wrap my head around them.

THE UMPIRES

In a sense, they are kind of like Collingwood supporters. Everyone loves to hate them.

Whether it is screaming ‘BALL!’ or players and supporters looking around dumbfounded after 50 metre penalties, I can’t remember the last time everyone agreed on an umpire’s call.

But having not grown up with Aussie Rules, there have been moments where I have had that same baffled look on my face.

Early in my career it was the paying of free kicks. They point in the opposite direction to every other sport in the world! I can’t tell you how many times I have completely run the wrong way screaming for the pill thinking it is our ball.

However that’s nothing compared to the first time I saw an umpire launch a throw in facing the opposite direction. I couldn’t help but scratch my head.

Each umpire has a unique way of doing it and in my opinion, the more theatrical the better!

It probably goes without explanation but centre bounces are easily another one of these head scratching circumstances.

I must also ask, what is with the finger pistols after goals? Surely there is a good story behind that and I want to hear it.

THE ‘HOT PINK’ RUNNERS

OK so you’re telling me that those little men running around in hot pink outfits give messages to players during games and sometimes run longer distances than the teams themselves? Where do I even start with this one?

That was one of the most noticeable goofy things of my first AFL experience.

My first ever organised game of footy was a practice match among ourselves. The intra-club ritual, as I now know it. The black team had just kicked a goal and Chris Howley, a high performance manager at the club, came to me and delivered a message straight from Bucks.

I looked at him perplexed, not only at how bright his shirt was, but also as to why the heck he was on the ground telling me messages from the head coach?!

I had totally forgotten runners existed and haven’t lived that down to this day.
It’s a lot easier when the messages come from Bucks.

WHAT’S WITH THE 90S PHONE?

I’ll be honest, I find this whole process a tad funny.

So the coach sees a player out of the team structure and my old friend the runner tells him to go to the bench. He then calls him on a telephone, which for some reason is from the 1990s, and proceeds to scream at him through the thing.

Then, once he’s done, he smashes the phone until it no longer works.

PRE/POST GAME CELEBRATIONS

Fun fact: Collingwood was the first side to have a team song and just like many other team songs, the music actually originated from guess where?

That’s right, the good ole US of A. Every time I sing it I have a grin about that one.

Where else in the world though do grown men sing whimsical tunes in a circle after a victory while showering first win teammates in sports drink? Nowhere, that’s where!

I didn’t quite understand the tradition but after my first win in the black and white I have to say it is one of my fondest memories.

Well that and jumper presentations before first games.

It is not unusual in Commonwealth sports but it was a first for me with the speech and presentation of a jumper representing a sort of ‘justification’ for your hard work.

When I received mine it was extra special because it wasn’t a captain or leader but a good friend that had been there since day one and taken me in as one of his own, Darcy Moore.

Not only did he present my jumper but also was the person who kicked to me to join the, ‘First-Kick, First Goal Club’. Something he continually reminds me of to this day.

THE VFL

I think at some point in their career, everyone should play in the twos, just to experience what I consider ‘the original football.’

It is a place full of cold “tinnies”, wooden benches, small cramped change rooms and who can forget the essential microwaved meat pies.

And when you’re playing in the VFL, never underestimate just how close the fans, and in some cases animals, can get to you.

In my first game I remember going out for a warm up and after a few sprints looking to my left to see someone waiting for their dog to finish defecating within 30 metres of me. The field is a public park so I guess, anything goes?

There is just something intangible about the atmosphere and what the people bring to VFL and local footy that is contagious.

Overall a lot of these things are just normal for most Australians. Over the years I have conditioned myself to not think twice about many of them, but when someone who has never seen the game before questions these things, I can’t help but smile and say, “footy is just unique.”

Good on you B5. He’s no bob Murphy in the writing caper but good read nonetheless.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Mason Cox, via Bucks5 wrote:
UNIQUE. ... [1]

Early in my career it was the paying of free kicks. They point in the opposite direction to every other sport in the world! I can’t tell you how many times I have completely run the wrong way screaming for the pill thinking it is our ball. [2]

WHAT’S WITH THE 90S PHONE?
[3]

Where else in the world though do grown men sing whimsical tunes in a circle after a victory while showering first win teammates in sports drink? Nowhere, that’s where! [4]

[1] Glad he did not write "surreal".
[2] Yes! (Though I'm not sure it's every other sport.)
[3] Well, they have to have some restriction on the type of communication allowed...
[4] Is this true?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Pretty funny stuff from the big yank. We do tend to forget or take for granted the many oddities about our game (I suppose most sports have them). I'm sure Mason's only just scratching the surface there.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am

A newsy interview this morning regarding status on injured players. Topics covered included:

Review of game against Port, “did the basics really well” - “I’m proud of our boys”; Discussion about Adams throwing a towel in the half-time huddle (that hit Buckley?); Looking to continue playing 4-quarter footy and continue to improve our brand; Buckley will look closely at how other top 8 teams are playing this weekend, but not looking closely at permutations of finals line-ups; Treloar’s steep improvement, but sticking points still possible in his recovery - will ramp up training in next two weeks; No comment from Buckley when asked if Treloar will need VFL time before return to seniors; Said plenty of VFL boys with their hands up to play senior footy; Howe progressing well but won’t play this week - the risk/reward right now is not great - looking at two weeks before his return; Philosophy of the Priority Picks - doesn’t benefit Pies, changes the equity of father/son; Stephenson as a pick last year; Interchange - physical demands on players continues to rise and results in injury; No need to make the game harder to play; Goldsack will play VFL this week - “a fair effort”.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=266902
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 am

A riveting interview this morning and, if I may suggest, essential listening.

(Will be many news stories spinning off from this interview. Hear the original context here)

Topics covered included:

All Aust. team selections - Buddy’s selection as captain more a recognition of his body of work than leadership; Buddy’s career and the aura he has built, his “last month has been amazing”; On Sidebottom - first player to give him positive feedback; On Grundy - has achieved All Aust. at a young age and looking for “what’s next”;
Post-game session with team acknowledging making top 4 - time to pause to reflect and “Treading water this week” - players keen to get on with it; Last game was “nervy” and thoughts of “what could be lost” was evident during game; Another step forward for Pies in dealing with tense in-game emotions and finding a way to win - no dead rubbers.
Buckley on Travis Varcoe - private matter and “it pains me to see what he’s going through” - life’s not fair and footy taking a back seat; On Sam Murray - “club sits one out and one back” on this and “awaits more facts” - it’s folly and illegal to discuss, “he’s got a fight on his hands”; Buckley rejects suggestion that there is a problem with illicit drugs at Pies - said he’d know if they did; An intense, partly unspoken, exchange re. Pies’ drugs issues past and present as Buckley coldly rebuffs Whateley’s questioning; Solid training session due tomorrow; Buckley likes the Bye and looking forward to finals - it’ll be “a battle to the death”.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=268782
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:01 pm

For those students of body language here's a few minutes of video (from the AFL web site) of today's radio interview when Whateley was asking Buckley about drugs at the Pies.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-08-30/buckley-denies-illicit-drugs-issue-at-pies
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Some of the people posting in the San Murray thread should listen to this week’s comments from Bucks
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:34 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/buckley-denies-drug-problem-at-magpies-20180830-p500pm.html

"In an at-times testy interview with Gerard Whateley on SEN on Thursday morning ..."
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Read the script of the interview and support Bucks response 100%

And not wearing my supporter hat—just as a person listening to unseeded rhetoric

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:53 pm

There's never been a more classy person in football than our Bucks. I feel incredibly honored to have him as our coach.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Am surprised with Wheatley —that’s the garbage I expect from David King or Slobbo

And these people of low morals and limited integrity struggle with Bucks because he is everything they are not

Good Nathan the real dinkum people in Footy respect you mate

Hm Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Gerard's ratings this week slumped to half of Keven Barlett's when he was 9-12. Maybe Gerard was trying to do some sensationalising and Bucks knew and would not have any of it. Bucks is just getting better and better, both a coach and interviewee.

I believe Bucks will continually improve and if there is no premiership this year, it won't be far off.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 pm

To be fair Whateley would not be doing his job if he didn’t ask those questions. And I thought Buckley handled it well and with dignity.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
To be fair Whateley would not be doing his job if he didn’t ask those questions. And I thought Buckley handled it well and with dignity.

I agree with that.

Buckley was understandably angry about having to answer those questions but his anger should be directed at Murray not Whateley. Whateley simply asked the questions that even Collingwood supporters were wondering about.

We've had Pert raise the issue a few years ago. We've had Keeffe and Thomas. We've had the Robinson Herald Sun report a season or two ago. Memory is fading on that - did he allege that there had been 10 or 11 Pies that had tested positive to illicit drugs out of competition? Now we've had Murray.

I recall that players are only tested on average 1.5 times each year, not every day. If all of the above is true you would assume that the actual use numbers are much higher.

I don't blame Buckley for being angry. We are on the verge of something great and he has to spend his time answering non football related questions.
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 pm

^ it was reported by Robo that it was upto 11 player that had positive tests.

Which means it could be 0 players and Robos article was "technically" correct.

Apparently it was significantly less than 11 and no worse than most clubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: